Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 32 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 47 reviews
on October 21, 2013
In Revolutionary-era France, a woman is saved from a rabid mob by the man who killed her brother years ago, the man she's sworn to destroy.

I have a fairly high tolerance for melodrama and melodramatic sequences and even I found this one just plain silly. Orczy on some level seems to agree, as she starts the book with a long explanation/justification for a character who would do such odd things in the story -- presumably to try and make her more plausible? I guess? I'm not sure it really works, at the very least you can feel the heavy degree of contrivance in it. The love interest, humorously, is just stick-stone stupid -- it's the only way the melodrama/story can play out, but it's impossible to take him seriously. Basically beefcake, to be honest about it, just done a little more sophisticated than one is used to seeing nowadays.

My guess is that this was a test run to see if a series was possible -- the Scarlet Pimpernel appears here, but strictly in a supporting role. As such it worked, but you can probably skip it.
on July 13, 2016
Love it!!!!! The Scarlet Pimpernel is more in the back round but he is still there. The heroine is pretty of course and the hero a good fellow. I had to go to bed three fourths of the way through it and I couldn't sleep trying to figure out how the Scarlet Pimpernel could save them. Marguerite isn't ever present but you do get to peek into Sir Percy's thought's and see her in his imagination. Definitely a goof sequel especially since it's free :-)
on May 22, 2012
"I Will Repay" is the first sequel to "The Scarlet Pimpernel" that Baroness Orczy wrote, and it's one of the best. As with her other Pimpernel novels and short stories, there's intrigue, action, romance, and humor.

"I Will Repay" involves a young woman who is compelled by her father to swear a terrible oath of vengeance upon the man who inadvertently killed her brother in a duel instigated by the brother. Things become quite complicated when she falls in love with her brother's killer.

The story moves along apace, and can be quite nail-biting. I only wish we had more of Sir Percy, since he really lights up the page. Still, this is a very entertaining sequel and I recommend it to all those who enjoy the original novel.
on May 30, 2015
Unto itself this story, if fleshed out, would be an enjoyable read. However, regarded as part of 'The Scarlet Pimpernel' series I would expect said character to make more than a cameo appearance, and since I consider the series to be more of romance than adventure Marguerite is no where to be seen, perhaps she is in disguise? A poor imitation of the Percy, Maeguerite relationship.
on February 23, 2015
I really enjoyed this. The characters were all well created &, though there is less of the the actual Scarlet Pimpernel, the atmosphere, the supporting characters & the effect of the Reign of Terror on common people as well as aristocrats is very well done.
on November 14, 2013
I read Baroness Emmuska Orczy's first book, "The Scarlet Pimpernel," and I was immediately hooked with the character. Thus I was inclined to keep reading her next novels to know what happens in the adventurous life of the Scarlet Pimpernel. This book although not as brilliant as the first one, was still very interesting. This novel revolves around the lives of two people and unfortunately the Scarlet Pimpernel does not come up as much (he does however make an appearance in the book). From the beginning we get introduced to some very complicated characters and although the book does not revolve around Percy, I immediately had to keep reading to find out what happens to the new characters. Obviously if you've read the first book you know how elusive the protagonist, Percy, can be. So it's awesome to read the next adventure of this Pimpernel.
on November 13, 2007
This is Baroness Orczy's sequel to her classic Scarlet Pimpernel. The protagonist is a wealthy Parisian lawyer who is forced into a duel with a rich young wastrel ten years before the Revolution. The Revolution finds the same lawyer a well regarded deputy in the Assembly. He is a philanthropist and well loved, even by the Paris mob. Unbeknown to him, the young sister of the man he killed in the duel has sworn revenge on him. They meet and the action takes off from there. The Pimpernel makes his appearance and the ending is happy. It is not as good a read as the first novel but worth while if you like this genre.
on April 3, 2014
I have enjoyed these books by Baroness Orczy. I have just finished the 5th. The bleak news around the world full of violence, man to man and earth to man, at least we don't live in Paris during the French Revolution. The charming Scarlett Pimpernel books are full of misery yet even more full of whimsy and charm.
on July 18, 2016
I enjoyed the first scarlet Pimpernel book so I decided to buy this one.
on December 18, 2013
While some language here is archaic, it is a well told story and a delightful read. If you want to read something different than what's currently popular,you will enjoy this story about another adventure of the Scarlet Pimpernel