Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: KINGMAS® USB to DB25 IEEE-1284 Parallel Printer Adapter Cable
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports

on April 25, 2012
I bought this cable to hook an old HP LaserJet 1100 up to a newer computer that doesn't have a parallel printer port. At first the cable didn't work. I tried multiple computers and whenever I would hook everything up, none of the computers would even recognize that there was a new USB plugged in. I contacted HDE (seller) and they responded back to my email very quickly. They offered to send me a replacement cable without even having to send the original back. I said okay just to try it not thinking it would work because I read other people couldn't get it to work with the LaserJet 1100, but to my surprise I hooked it up and immediately my computer recognized new hardware and installed the driver and now it works perfectly with all computers. Thanks!!
on April 5, 2012
Quick delivery, was as advertised. I connected one end to my parallel printer cable and the other end to my computer USB socket. With Windows 7, the 2-way interaction with the printer worked fine, proving the adapter to be correct. A disk with drivers for older versions of Windows was included in the package. HOWEVER, it turned out that my printer company (HP) did not publish a printer driver for my old printer that was fully compatible with Windows 7. So there were glitches, such as a little truncation on the right side of each printed page. So, check that you can get the right printer driver. I finally got a new printer, after my old HP lasted from 1997. But then I no longer needed this adapter!
on July 5, 2013
USB to Printer port is an apt name. USB to IEEE-1284 is inaccurate. This cable does not have its port memory mapped, therefore it does NOT meet specifications for IEEE-1284.
on December 28, 2012
Worked great connecting my old parallel HP Laserjet 6P to a Windows 7 desktop via USB, no extra driver needed. Windows issue: Needed to manually Add Printer and select the existing port USB001 (Virtual Printer Port for USB) and the correct printer driver. Windows 7 WILL NOT automatically detect the parallel printer since it is not a native USB device. Windows did a silent install, so I didn't even know that it had detected the USB-Parallel cable until I went looking for it. Probably will get another one for an HP Laserjet 1100 I have hanging around.
on April 1, 2016
Using a Dell Inspiron 15 running Windows 10 and installing an old HP LaserJet 1100 I bought from a closing office for a few bucks. Figured it was worth a shot to buy the printer and buy this adapter cable. The cable came with a disc that I guess is full of drivers for older printers. I bought my 1100 with the original discs, but my computer couldn't even read them (the printer's disc was for Windows 95/98, NT 4.0, and Windows 3.1/3.11).

Luckily my computer sensed the printer once I connected it and I didn't need either set of drivers, so I can't vouch for the disc that came with the cable.

I have a few other computers of varying ages/operating systems I'll try this cable out on also.

Plugged it all in 10 minutes ago and have since printed several coloring pages for my daughter and printed my resume to check the printer out. So far so good. Very happy with the cable.
on May 28, 2016
Just be aware that you may be spending $6+ on an experiment that will not work.

IT DID NOT WORK FOR ME.

PC: 2014 HP Pavilion x64 desktop with fully updated Windows 7
Printer: Panasonic KX-P1180 parallel dot matrix.
Yup the printer may just be too old.

Below are tidbits that added to my disappointment.

The adapter came with a mini-CD with drivers, software and manuals. There's such a Hodge-podge that it's difficult to know what applies.
I printed and studied everything but that did not help.

In all I found, there was no mention of W7. The newest Windows version cited was XP. I know from comments here where W7 is mentioned that it may work with W7. But that was no conciliation.

I followed the directions precisely but never was able to get a New Hardware Found dialog.

At one point I did get a Windows Update dialog about locating drivers. One screen listed printers but it was a very short list that had no Panasonic. The screen just hung up when it was supposed to try to locate drivers.

With the cable plugged in between the printer's parallel cable and a USB port, I GOT BLUE SCREENS between the W7 login screen and desktop appearance. I HAD TO REMOVE THE ADAPTER TO GET RID OF THE BLUE SCREENS.

SUGGESTION:
Don't buy this unless you are flexible about success.
on August 1, 2016
The converter solution doesn't work for IOMEGA ZIP Parallel Drives. There are multiple blogs documenting that Parallel drives are not supported with the converters.
I didn't realize it until I have the cable and after a couple of trials.
I want to share this if you are looking for a converter, DOESN'T work, don't make the same mistake I did.
Alternative solution is to buy an used IOMEGA ZIP USB in a windows 7 pc....
Hope this can help someone looking for a solutions for old devices.
on November 16, 2012
I used the cable with my older HP desktop running XP and my Acer laptop using Win 7 on a Hp deskjet 722c When the computers found the printer it said that it was ready to print nothing happen when i hit the print button. I was quite disappointed when it didn't work because I wanted to use it with my laptop. Any suggestions?
on November 19, 2013
It took over a month to get to me from the date I ordered it and once it finally came in it wasn't even the correct item. It was suppose to be a 25 pin adapter and it is a 36 pin. Very disappointed with this purchase!
on August 2, 2015
There was probably nothing wrong at all with the item itself, it's just that my printer was from the dark ages and I couldn't get any more software to update it since upgrading my PC! So I ended up getting a new printer :-( So, don't worry about the 3-stars - I couldn't give it 5 because I don't know if it DOES work, and I couldn't give it 1 star due to my printer being soooooo old! :-)