Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: IOGEAR USB 2.0 to Serial RS-232 Adapter GUC232A
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Chris Staples Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports

Style: Wired|Change

on January 19, 2006
I must be the exception here, but this adaptor worked fine for me in XP and 2k. XP didn't even need the driver disk, but pulled a working driver off of windows update automatically. Worked with my old USR modem perfectly, and even worked connected to the console port of a Sun Ultra Enterprise box. 2k needed the driver downloaded off of the iogear website, but then worked perfectly.

If anything, it worked even better under linux: I didn't even have to do anything to get the driver to load; it just worked, where windows made me run through a wizard to get the driver loaded. I didn't try hot-plugging it under linux, but I don't see why it wouldn't work that way too. Even the minimal 50MB DSL distribution worked with this adaptor without any special configuration, again successfully using an old USR modem, and working as a console for a Sun Ultra Enterprise using `microcom -D/dev/ttyUSB0`.

I don't know what I'm doing any differently than the people that say they are having problems with this adaptor, but I've not had any indications of trouble from this device. Under windows, I'm using an old generic driver that was either from windows update (XP) or on the iogear website (2K). The XP driver I am using says it is for an `ATEN USB to Serial Bridge` and is dated 7/16/2003, version 2.0.0.18. Under linux, the generic pl2303 usbserial driver supports this device and gives you /dev/ttyUSBx device links.

I have had good luck with this device, the speed is pretty good and it's fairly small, taking up very little of my precious laptop bag real estate. The price was modest and the construction seems to be fairly durable. Since it is supported under linux, even on a restricted microdistributino like DSL, it is going to be of much more use to me than I might have expected, given that linux support is not listed on the box. I really don't see what else I could want: it works as advertised.
on October 20, 2002
This would be a great product... If it worked. Out of the box this device does not support XP. The website has drivers, but they also do not work.
on April 8, 2005
This does not work under win XP. It seems to work, but frequently crashes the OS with the infamious windows "Blue Screen of Death".

This is even true with the latest drivers downloaded from the IOGear web site as of 4/2005.

IOGear tech support does not respond to error reports on this device.

RUN AWAY!
on February 11, 2005
Trust the other reviewers. This does not work with Windows XP. Even though on the outside of the box it states it will work with XP on the inside it says "We have developed a walkthrough for our customers wishing to use the USB/PDA adapter with Windows XP. Although we currently make no official guarantees of functionality, many people have had success when installing the Windows 2000 driver." They can't even say it will work. Many hours of attempting to get this to work for my Palm Vx, I was about to give up UNTIL I saw on Amazon an adapter that Reviwers said worked with Windows XP. I bought it and it does!! So, save your money from IOGEAR and purchase the CABLES TO GO USB to Serial Adapter. It is so much simpler to install and it works!!!
on February 5, 2005
I should have believed those other reviews that says this Serial Adapter doesn't work on XP, because it doesn't. The driver included on the CD does absolutly nothing, and the adapter simply will not work. Do not buy it if you are running XP.
on June 19, 2003
Hello,
This is to contradict a negative review for using this product w/ Mac OS X 10.2. I have successfully used it in combination with ZTerm to configure a Cisco router. It certainly works fine for me. I just had to install the os X driver from the iogear website.
on March 16, 2004
I was a bit concerned about how well this adapter would work after reading about some of the installation problems below ... but no problem ... it installed automatically in XP on my new Dell Dimension 2400 in seconds. Apparently the drivers have been updated for XP. The installation on my old Compaq laptop (Win ME) took a few clicks and a reboot (don't forget that) but was also quick and easy. It works great with my serial GPS. I like it.
on October 7, 2014
The USB / Serial Port Adapter works great and meets its design requirements for data transfer from my vessel's GPS to the on-board laptop running Window 8.1. I'd recommend it to anyone who requires an USB / Serial Port adapter. This is my second purchase of the adapter for use at the lower and upper helm stations. The adapter used with the laptop running Window XP has been in use for the past three years. Very simple to install.
on April 26, 2015
This is the best and easiest way to communicate from computer to CNC machine tool. The old serial connection.
It works and is trouble free, I have been using this for years and needed a 2nd one to put on my laptop to carry into the shop.
Great price too. I have never had a problem with this is to use serial connection.
on December 1, 2014
I bought this because I needed a serial to usb adapter for my Davis serial datalogger. Computers used to have serial ports, but the do not. this takes care of that. The software drivers are downloaded via their site. Just follow the directions exactly and things work fine.