Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "ION Audio Tough Sounds Hearing Protection Headphon..." and save 46% off the $89.99 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
ION Audio Tough Sounds Hearing Protection Headphones with Bluetooth and Radio
|Price:||$69.99 & FREE Shipping. Details|
- 25-decibel noise-reduction rating reduces eardrums' exposure to loud sounds
- Stream music wirelessly from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, tablet, and more
- Answer calls as you work with multifunction button and built-in microphone
- AM/FM radio with 20 presets makes it easy to tune in to your favorite station and follow live sports
- Get the job done with 20+ hours of rechargeable battery power
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Special offers and product promotions
From the manufacturer
All-in-one hearing protection and personal audio system
- Tough Sounds
- Mini USB Charging Cable
- 1/8” Stereo Aux Cable
- Quickstart Guide
- Safety and Warranty Manual
Enjoy Great Sound—Always
Mowing the lawn? Vacuuming the house? Hard at work on the job site? If you love music, you owe it to yourself to protect your hearing.
Tough Sounds from ION Audio will protect your ears while you enjoy great music.
Bluetooth technology allows you to stream music to the Tough Sound internal speakers, or even talk on your smart phone. Plus, you can listen to the built-in AM/FM Radio anywhere you go.
- Headphones offer 25 dB Noise Reduction Rating
- Built-in mic for smartphone compatibility
- Lithium-ion battery offers 20+ hours of use
- Auxiliary stereo input
Long Battery Life
Using the internal lithium-ion battery, Tough Sounds can operate for roughly 20 hours on a single USB charge. Tough Sounds is the all-in-one solution for effective hearing protection and excellent on-the-go audio.
The Tough Sounds offers convenient controls that are simple to operate, including an oversized volume knob. The 1/8-inch stereo input can accept an audio signal from nearly any source for enhanced versatility.
Tough Sounds feature comfortable ear cushions; the adjustable headband quickly adjusts to provide a cozy fit for every user. The lightweight design ensures fatigue-free use, day after day.
Personal Audio System
The built-in AM/FM Radio offers twenty presets—more than enough to program all your favorite stations.
Prefer your own tunes? No problem. You can stream audio to Tough Sounds from any and all Bluetooth music players.
Ready For Noise
Tough Sounds headphones reduce the external noise reaching your ears by an effective 25 decibels.
That means a chainsaw is as quiet as normal conversation, keeping your ears safe and capable of appreciating great music.
Stay In Touch
Best of all, Tough Sounds provides a built-in microphone and is fully compatible with your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone—so you can stay in contact as you work. Keep your device safely in your pocket, while you enjoy flawless audio via the built-in Tough Sound speakers.
Tough Sounds headphones make working with power tools a fun experience while protecting your hearing.
With a Noise Reduction Rating of 25 decibels, your hearing is protected from the rumble of your lawnmower, weed wacker, and any other loud equipment. Plus, you can listen to your favorite music while you work and even answer phone calls using the built-in mic.
Tough Sounds headphones feature Bluetooth technology so you can stream your music wirelessly. An AM/FM radio is also included, and all the controls you need are integrated into the headphones so your music player or phone can stay safe in your pocket.
Skipping tracks, changing radio channels, or adjusting volume is quick and easy, so dial in the big game or turn up the track and get back to work.
Frequently Asked Questions
Tough Sounds have a NRR of 25dB. What does that mean?
NRR stands for Noise Reduction Rating. Tough Sounds effectively reduces outside noise and protects your ears from hazardous sound levels.
How do I pair Tough Sounds to my Bluetooth device?
The SRC button toggles between AM, FM, and Bluetooth playback modes. To pair your Bluetooth device -
- Select ----(blinking) to activate Bluetooth mode and begin pairing.
- In your Bluetooth device settings, find Tough Sounds and connect.
- Once paired, the Bluetooth logo on the LCD screen will change to indicate that you are paired to your device.
- If you're having trouble with your Bluetooth connection, press and hold the SRC button for 2 seconds to reset the current Bluetooth connection (this is disabled during a phone call).
My Bluetooth device sees Tough Sounds but is unable to connect to them. How do I get my device to re-connect?
In your device's Bluetooth settings, select Tough Sounds and choose "Forget Device". After turning the product off and on again you should once again be able to pair your device.
How do I tell which earphone is for my left/right ear?
The LCD screen and controls are located on the RIGHT earphone.
How long does the battery last? How long do my Tough Sounds need to charge?
Your Tough Sounds' battery should last approximately 20 hours on a 2-hour charge. If your Tough Sounds' battery is low you will notice the battery indicator flashing on the LCD screen.
How do I tell that my Tough Sounds are done charging?
The battery indicator light on Tough Sounds will illuminate while charging and go out once the headphones have been fully charged.
The LCD screen is working but none of the buttons do anything when I press them. Are my Tough Sounds broken?
Some settings, such as time, can be adjusted while Tough Sounds are turned off. In order to get any sort of output from Tough Sounds you must power them on by turning the volume knob until it clicks.
Where can I find further technical support for this and other ION products?
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own a ION product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the experienced ION technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.
- Tough Sounds
- Mini USB Charging Cable
- 5mm (1/8”) Stereo Aux Cable
- Quickstart Guide
Top customer reviews
This is an update on April 6, 2016:
I've had these hearing protectors for right at 8 months. I really wanted to like them. But I have to change my review title to "Please do not buy!".
A couple of days ago I went to put them on as I'd learned how to make the crackling stop momentarily (see February Update below), and the flimsy plastic hinge that connects the headband to the muff broke off. I cannot stress how carefully I handle my tools. I never throw them or abuse them. I don't drop them down, I'm always careful with them as they cost too much to mistreat. And in case you're wondering, these hearing protectors have been used almost exclusively indoors and always stored out of direct sunlight, so UV deterioration on the plastic can be ruled out. With a broken hinge, this purchase has now become 100% unusable.
With the sound quality of the speakers not as good as my $15 bluetooth speaker from Big Lots, and the build quality of these muffs no better than the $5.99 hearing protectors that can be had at Harbor Freight Tools, I'm more than miffed that these headphones with a price tag of nearly $90 didn't make it even a year. I have never written a review with such strong words, but I do not believe I'm being disingenuous by saying that Ion Audio is clearly in the rip-off business. These are substandard build quality and most obviously defective from the factory. And I also do not think Amazon's rating system accurately reflects the negative reviews. If you buy these headphones you will regret it.
This is an UPDATE on February 20, 2016:
It's barely been 6 months since I received these headphones. Despite the cons listed below, I did keep them as they are the only Bluetooth hearing protectors I could find. I've used them on an almost daily basis. Since it has been almost exclusively during the winter months, these headphones have been exposed to very little moisture from sweat. I've been careful with them, never dropping them and always handling with care. Despite that fact, they began to short out on me yesterday. The left speaker is all crackle now and it had difficulty connecting via Bluetooth (which has never happened before).
So if you're in the market for these headphones, know that if you use them in ideal conditions and you are very careful with them, you might get 6 months out of them. If you're rough, if you work in the heat and sweat or are prone to drop things, they might not make it even that long.
I'm revising my original 2 star review to 1 star.
1.This headset does provide excellent hearing protection.
2. Easy pairing with Bluetooth and easily programmable Fm presets.
3. One of the few hearing protector headsets with built-in Bluetooth.
I received it just yesterday so I cannot yet report on durability in the rigorous environments that normally require hearing protection.
Now for the cons.
1. Sound level is very poor. I do understand that hearing protection headphones should not offer so much lime that they make you go deaf while listening to music, but these are very poor in the sound level. If the room is completely quiet, they offer a good sound level, but then again why would you where them in a completely quiet environment.
2. No complete charger. I spent about $80 not counting shipping for this product. You would think for that price they could include a complete charger (which is required to use this product). Instead it comes with a 10" USB cable. So you will need to purchase either a car port charger with USB or a wall charger with a USB slot. While most Amazon shoppers likely have one or more of these laying around, I find that ION is especially cheap to not have included everything you need to use this device. And even if you do have a wall or car port charger laying around, the Cable they sent is only 10" long. So of you plug into the wall, the Cable isn't long enough to even rest the headphones cemetery on the floor, much less reach up to a table.
3. Poor FM reception. I live less than a mile from what is locally called a tower farm. It's called a tower farm because almost all of the local radio and television shows stations in my state are all located within about a 5 sq/mile area. That said, I was shocked to see that FM reception out if the box is often staticy.
4. The headband length is too short. I do have an above average size head, but I'm no where near Frankenstein size. Unless you have a small head, the cups will likely dig in to the top of your head and the bottom of your ears.
I really wanted to like this headset, especially since it has built in Bluetooth. However the cons on this unit seem to vastly outweigh the pros. I'm seriously considering returning it. I'm definitely saving the packaging!
But if you need hearing protection in a quiet environment, you have an unusually small head, are tone deaf, and work inside a radio station, these could be the most perfect hearing protectors for you!
UPDATE! Sorry, my mistake, the headphones won't keep in sync with the video on any of the apps and I have a top-of-the-line Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 inch running marshmallow! Don't buy them if you're going to use them to watch any video with!
This worked Absolutely Fantastic for 1 charge. I received it and immediately plugged it in and allowed it to charge for 21 hours,thinking I'd give it the best start I could. That day, I used it for mowing my pastures. After 6 hours, I was suitably Impressed. I brought it back in the house and plugged it in to the same cord I unplugged it from that morning and the next day, I thought I'd grade my driveway while using the Tough Sounds again... It lasted about 12 minutes. Since then, it will Not take a charge or better said, it will not last more than 15 minutes. I am totally DISAPPOINTED in the ION Audio Tough Sounds!