Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Assassins Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 182 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 341 reviews
on September 12, 2014
This is a fast moving great story. Unfortunately, Rollins did not research his information on Alaska, and, being a 65-year resident of the "Last Frontier," I was very disappointed. First of all, Alaska does not have counties. We have Boroughs. The remote communities of Alaska do not have sheriffs. They have Village Public Safety Officers. Larger population areas have the Alaska State Troopers or the city police. Dog mushers do not get their dogs going by saying mush, rather they most commonly say "Hike." Inuit are Canadian and Inupiat are American. And on and on it goes in this book. These glaring errors really took the joy out of reading this otherwise good book
on March 8, 2016
A secret abondent research station in the antsrtic. Two superpowers after the papers for a formula. A small group of people in the midst of it. Trying to survive to be attacked from Human monstrrs and monsters. The characters are likeable. Many twists, turns and spins with a surprise ending! The last lines in the epilog arebthe scaiest! A very good and absorbing book! It kept me glued to it! This was my favorite novel from the author!
on July 15, 2004
Ice Hunt was a fun surprise for my reading circle. Our consensus: Hoo-yah! Each of us liked it, often for very different reasons. I enjoy how Rollins mixes people, critters, and circumstances to give us a rippin' good, high-energy tale. The people in this story kept us turning the pages from one fast-paced scene to the next. Even the secondary characters are interesting, but I must admit that I had found my favorite in Matt, the Fish & Game guy, by page 2 of chapter one.
Ice Hunt presents a vivid sense of place, whether in the "Cyclops" chamber of a research submarine, the Brooks Range in Alaska, or the turns and wormhole twists of a creepy crawlspace carved into the polar ice. Rollins weaves science and nature into the plot (boy, does he!) and lets characters use their expertise in their own branch of science to deal what is thrown at them. I recommend this heartily. The only caution I have is: be careful how much caffeine you drink before and while reading. This story will get your blood pumping!
on May 27, 2013
This is another action packed adventure from James Rollins. This one has more military action in it than Amazonia, Deep Fathom, and Subterranean. But it is still a great adventure. There are several heroes here, split apart into groups, each facing life and death situations. Ingenuity and luck manage to get them through. I really like how Rollins wraps up the story and makes everything right for the main characters and for the villains too! These books should be made into movies -- they would be very cinematic upon the big screen. I highly recommend this book and am greatly looking forward to the next one to read.
on August 23, 2011
This is the second stand-alone novel I've read from Rollins. I've read all his Sigma series to date, plus Altar of Eden. Ice Hunt is by far the most engrossing book I've come across. First of all, I have to say that I love Alaska and plan to visit there some day. I'm a cold-weather person. Stories that take place in cold regions make me snuggle in my covers even more. For sure, there's plenty of description of the wilderness, but the amazing pace that this story sets just keeps you hooked. It has a "The Thing" flavor to it, but trust me, it is NOT "The Thing" revisted. The sense of cold isolation is why I mention that movie.
The monsters are scary. The way they hunt is scary. What they do to you when they get you is scary. You really can't go wrong with this book.
on May 30, 2016
You just can't go wrong with a James Rollins novel. All of Rollins' books are great reads but, like all readers, some characters and stories will resonate with me more strongly than others.

Ice Hunt presents an interesting concept and it is delivered in a very good pace and style. I always find several characters that I enjoy and the stories always hold my interest from beginning to end.

James, great work, as always. You keep writing them and I'll gladly keep reading them.

....
on May 10, 2017
I have read all the Sigma Force novels and now I am reading Rollin's other novels. None that I have read have ever disappointed. The novels have it all. History, cutting edge science, action adventure and exotic locations and interesting characters. Try one and you'll be hooked also. Keep churning them out James!
on February 15, 2016
James Rollins is an incredible writer and this is only one of his books that has me remembering parts of it so clearly it is like I just read them yesterday. Amazonia and Ice Hunt are my two favorites. His writing is like science fiction but not unbelievable - that is what makes them so memorable. Editing is perfect and the development of characters are full bodied. The plots will have you holding your breath wondering what is next and you won't want to put the book down.
on August 21, 2014
First, let me get this out of the way. I don't read James Rollins books for technical accuracy, the same way I don't watch comic book based movies for scientific facts. I read Rollins because I love the ride! Are they classic reading? Nope, but that doesn't mean they are not fun.

Ice Hunt is fun! The fast paced action is great. Great character development draws you in and makes you want a happy ending. My only criticism is that I would have liked to have had the same depth of development for the bad guys as well as the good guys. I will not spoil your read, but if you like stories with monsters, good guys, bad guys and a dog, you will enjoy this book.
on March 12, 2017
Fast paced and action packed. I find this book hard to put down.