Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now Ellen

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 62 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 86 reviews
on July 27, 2016
An author I followed back when I was in grade school. His books were entertaining, informative, and real. Raw to the bone real. I enjoyed watching the film because I was always curious to see what Iceberg Slim looked like and how he came off as a person. I got the impression that he was as genuine as a ex-pimp, ex drug dealer and user could be, and I know from personal experience what drugs and living the fast life can do to a person. Iceberg Slim wrote in a stark and highly descriptive way of the pitfalls and pain that self destruction brings to black folks who choose to go down this pathway of life. He will always be a hero to me and most black people in America. It warmed my heart to see the beautiful and intelligent children that he and his wife brought up. It was plain that he did a good job of being a parent to his daughters. Rest in peace Ice, you did a lot to educate us from your personal experiences.
on July 14, 2014
Recently shown on Premium cable, this documentary is about Robert Beck, alias Iceberg Slim. His wife and daughters appear in the film, as well as his fans Ice-T, Chris Rock and others. Iceberg Slim has long been a component of the underground black street culture, I first read his book in 1970.
The film shows how the man became an author and was massively underpaid for the millions of his books sold by his publisher
His estate has a new publisher now, which I assume will be more financially beneficial..
This film is not about sex. There are many humorous anecdotes. Iceberg's great talent was as a storyteller. This film is not an instructional video on pimping.
on November 7, 2015
One of the best books I have ever read... a life changer for me. I now understand where the pimp/prostitute relationship came from; each playing a role and frequently the role of the prostitute comes out on top, at least in revenge for the horrible treatment she has
received. It is extremely well written and a must read to understand rap culture and life as it was (and still is, I might say) in the earlier 1900's. It is one of those books and people that opened my eyes and I will n
ever forget.
on March 7, 2015
Awesome movie for those who are fans of street/urban culture. Iceberg Slim gave birth to a genre of literature. This documentary does him justice and fleshes out what made the man including his complicated relationships with women. It also shows his family life which is especially poignant considering one of his daughters featured in the film recently died of an overdose. The street life is a "mutha".
on October 8, 2013
Really shared a VERY interesting history that happened in my city (Chicago) a life I will never know (pimping). But like the movie Goodfellas this is a REAL story of the good bad and the ugly. He is not PROMOTING or GLAMORIZING pimping. It is just the OPPOSITE as he (Iceberg Slim) is talking against young men getting in the game. And to see him talk about it LIVE in person over the span of 50 years + and understand the history is AMAZING.
on January 18, 2016
Great to see how iceberg's a life of crime was published, which steered him on a positive corse only to be pimped by the new game he thought of as an honest living.
on August 19, 2014
I found this just fascinating and definitely a unique American story that needed to be told, and that we needed to hear. Slim's eloquent speech and writing style brings depth and meaning to his personal history and his books. Not the type of content you hear every day of the week, however it is indeed incredibly thought provoking.
on January 4, 2014
It was interesting to see the story of an underground Ernest Hemingway who exuded his life through his writing. This man graduated from high school at 15 years of age with 98 average. Within him lied genius that remained dormant while living a street life. On the flip side it was this life that granted him fodder for very compelling literary works. I loved this. Consequently I am now reading his books.
on April 16, 2015
Who Better than ICE T ? Loved it !!...Ice T is (Glasstop) now that you've done the Docu..You Quincy Jones (Henry), Chris Rock (young Bobby Beck),
Bill Duke ( Director and Sweet Jones) Bishop (Poison), Halle Berry is Pepper.
on July 22, 2013
Very good documentary and very enlightening! I enjoyed watching every minute of the documentary and was even surprised by some of the things I found out in the world of "pimping".