Industrial Deals Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Showing 1-10 of 15 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 21 reviews
on June 21, 2011
I opened this book a few hours ago and haven't put it down since. It contains a rich history of men's fashion staples, from the deck shoe to the biker jacket. Every bit is informative-not just in a sartorial sense, but culturally how the clothing became what it is today. For example, the M-1951 jacket came in olive green and not the typical olive drab, since it was produced post-WW2 and the higher-ups believed that the surplus of olive-drab military color being worn by laborers was devalued. In the following decades, the jacket was worn by the Mod community who embraced the cheap, military surplus jacket to protect their sharp suits as they rode their scooters through the elements.

Explaining the What and Why makes this book a successful compilation of men's fashion iconography.
on January 30, 2017
I fist noticed this book while shopping in the Men's Dept. at Nordstroms.
I fell in love with the cover...that picture of Gregory Peck! So handsome!
I did not need to look beyond the cover!

The book is fascinating.
I was intrigued not only because of the styles and clothing but the history behind the garments
I bought it as a gift for my fiancé and his adult son. They both love clothes and both wear them well.
It is read for men and women...actually for anyone that loves clothes! and history
on May 30, 2014
Great Men's style book. I actually bought the book because of the many amazing photos! Many great photos of classic film stars. The photos show great style. This book has many great style tips for men. The book has great information on the history of men's clothes. Items such as: The Bomber Jacket, The Trench Coat, The Pea Coat, Jeans and many more. Very interesting and enjoyable book.
on December 25, 2014
I found this book very informative and useful. I had maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of the pieces discussed in the book and the book naturally filled in the gaps of what else I might need (ie I had a leather bomber jacket, but not a cotton barracuta type jacket).
I have found that after filling out the must have pieces, I feel like there is not much more I am needing unless something wears.
I dress casually for work and for everything else, so this book may be of more help to people who don't wear suits regularly.
on April 24, 2017
This book is a classic. Accounted for are all of the timeless hits of men's fashion and the gentlemen who wore them best. Follow this guide and you will be worthy of a seat at the table with Sinatra, McQueen, JFK, Bond and all the rest. By the way, how's your bird, baby?
on April 12, 2013
I originally thought this book was going to be about people in history who were Fashion icons, and it was a little bit, but this book really focuses on the clothing items and accessories that define men's style. Then it describes each of the items and explains the history of the item and how it became a mainstream fashion trend. It's sort of like an essentials collection really. Also gives a lot of good advice.
on January 14, 2012
this was a gift for a young adult making his own style. He was thrilled with it so it was a success.
on April 16, 2013
I've read this twice, it's a nice fun read. It lists all the iconic men's styles, such as the peacoat. More importantly, it shows the history of the item, how it was engineered to serve one need but became iconic. For example, the trench coat actually comes from WWI trench warfare.
on March 10, 2014
I bought the book as a gift, my sisters work with men's fashion, J. hillburn, and thought it would be interesting to them and indeed they love it. Great photos for anyone to enjoy. Love it!
on April 28, 2015
I enjoyed this book. It is more about the history of certain fashions but a good read just the same.