Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 92 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 336 reviews
on September 8, 2015
This is one of those books once you read ten pages of the book you will not be able to put it down. I read this book in two days because I could not put it down except to sleep. This book is very sad; however, it is a great book and this is in my list of top ten books. I felt very close to the characters in the book and the emotions they were going through. The book is realistic in terms of real life scenarios. Great book and would recommend to anyone looking for a great book to read. This book will touch your heart for sure. Great book
on March 8, 2017
My son has Tourette's Syndrome so I was especially excited to read this. I know every case is different but the way it presented itself was so very different than my sons experience. I also had a hard time relating to Icy in any way. I found myself wishing the book would end so I could read something else-never a good sign, but I didn't give up; I did finish it.
on March 8, 2013
Icy Sparks is a book that will educate you concerning all children who grow up with disabilities of one sort or another. Her disorder is "Tourette" Syndrome and this is an eye opener of a book, encouraging the reader to feel empathy and to understand the fear and uncertainty that children with this syndrome must endure every day of their lives. I found it a compelling book. A book that I could not put down until I had satisfied myself that this little girl had found hope and a way of controlling the urges that attacked her little body when under stress. I recommend this book to all people who are interested in children who are special because they are different.
on March 8, 2017
I really enjoyed this book. The characters came alive and I felt that I was always along side Icy as she grew and experienced life as someone different from everyone else. Icy is someone I would love to know.
on January 21, 2017
Icy Sparks is an interesting book. One of its primary assets is the beautiful descriptive prose used throughout the book. Also, it gives a vivid portrayal of the disorder which plagued Icy. However, the story really bogged down in the middle with a drawn out hospital stay, homeschooling, and lags in action. I thought surely we would come to the discovery of the disorder and hope for the future, but it didn't come until the epilogue and was strictly a report, disappointing.
on April 21, 2017
The novel is written from a child's point of view, in which the author,very creatively, delves into the very painful experiences Icy encounters growing up without understanding her disability. Almost heartbreaking at times, but also very humorous at times .Very insightful and entertaining!
on January 23, 2017
Did not enjoy this book at all. The characters were unlikeable, unrealistic, and no one who was 'bad' ever got what was coming to them. This book had the potential to really shed light on Tourette's syndrome, but instead, it took unlikeable characters and created more disdain for their maladies. Also, there was so much extra plot that was unnecessary and made it harder to read than it should have been.
on January 22, 2017
Author writes with authority and sense of place. Good understanding and empathy for Tourette's syndrome. Thought the southern dialect a bit thick and the characters a little stock.
on January 27, 2017
I really enjoyed the characters in this book especially Icy. To see this girl grow into a woman and travel along her road to acceptance. The book takes place in n the mountainous areas of coal country where sophistication isn't important but the globe that Icy has from family and friends does sustain her. It does start ow but then is a page turner.
on January 26, 2017
This was just a weird book. Seemed the author was writing a great story and then it ran out of steam. I also did not like the all the comments about fat people..... and the ending was just...awful.