Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 14, 2012, 6:23:27 AM PDT
Fred Roach says:
Ign has given witches 2 an 8.5

Posted on Apr 14, 2012, 7:15:35 AM PDT
CobraHoof says:
...which seems a little low compared to the review, "One of the best, most mature RPGs of recent years." They also note that the game lost very little in its transition to consoles, but score it considerably lower than its higher profile (but arguably lesser) peers. This is nothing unusual for IGN though.

Posted on Apr 14, 2012, 5:35:26 PM PDT
bfrank says:
I was wondering the other day how come I haven't been to IGN.com in months (about 5 or 6 months). Thank you for reminding me why.

Posted on Apr 14, 2012, 5:46:07 PM PDT
What was really odd is they put the graphics pretty low, somewhat because it didn't look like PC Ultra Nut settings or something... yet the same chick who did the review did the Dark Souls review and she was glowing about that game graphically. ?

Some other reviews...

Game Informer - 9.5
OXM - 8.5
Eurogamer - 9
OXM UK - 9

Posted on Apr 14, 2012, 7:23:42 PM PDT
M dulku says:
there reviews make no sense they say its one of the best rpgs and then they give it a score of 8.5 i dont no what happen to ign but i gave up listening to reviewers check it out on youtube the gameplay and listen to the comments of people who played the game and then form your own opinion. Thats the way i buy games these days.

Posted on Apr 15, 2012, 11:47:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 15, 2012, 11:50:08 PM PDT
Yeah, Keza's usually a spot-on reviewer, but to dock the Xbox 360 version for not being graphically superior to the PC version is like getting upset at a fish for not being able to climb a tree, or something. She mentions that the 360 build is one of the best-looking games ever released on that console, but her final score basically punishes the game for not having Ultra settings.

Very puzzling.

Posted on Apr 16, 2012, 3:52:24 AM PDT
While all the reviews for this game are excellent, it's acknowledged that IGN is terrible. With Metacritic I try to read all the reviews and if "wonky mechanics" or "clumsy controls" comes up I'm out no matter what the score turns out to be.

Posted on Apr 16, 2012, 9:08:09 AM PDT
Catalyst says:
People still value IGN as a legitimate source of journalism?

Posted on Apr 16, 2012, 9:50:25 AM PDT
Cory Miller says:
IGN has been getting worse and worse as time goes on. This is one of the reasons why! Typically I only use their scores for games that I don't know much about. Since I know I'm going to love this game regardless of what IGN thinks, I'm looking at their score as just one persons opinion.

Posted on Apr 16, 2012, 10:09:18 AM PDT
kaosrogue says:
Keza loved the game and gave it a "great" score. I don't rely on the numbers, though, i read what they write. And i read what others write. there are plenty of games that get 6s and 7s from IGN, that i love, but know that their "decent" scores make sense.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012, 10:55:27 AM PDT
B. Watts says:
Good luck getting a 9.0 or better from IGN unless your company pays for it in advertising revenue. These are the same guys who didn't even mention the Mass Effect 3 ending in the review, and didn't mention it later unless it was to poke fun at the fans who were (understandably) upset about it.

Really, there isn't much credibility to be had in gaming journalism because of the massive conflict of interest that is inherent in the industry. Gaming sites are paid for by ad revenue which comes from the companies who make the games they are supposed to be impartially reviewing. It's a laughable system.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012, 1:02:52 PM PDT
Red Guy says:
"It's a laughable system."

This is why I trust fellow gamers reviews a lot more.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012, 6:17:03 AM PDT
Idle Moment says:
"Really, there isn't much credibility to be had in gaming journalism because of the massive conflict of interest that is inherent in the industry. Gaming sites are paid for by ad revenue which comes from the companies who make the games they are supposed to be impartially reviewing. It's a laughable system."

Excellent statement. Very true.
I only use gaming sites to learn more about the game. I never let anyone else tell me if I will like something or not. Their opinion on good or bad is irrelevant to me.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012, 10:35:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2012, 10:40:02 AM PDT
Must we act like 8.5 isn't a great score? On a scale of 1 to 10 8.5 is damn high. Us gamers online act like anything less than a 9 means the reviewer hated it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012, 3:16:45 PM PDT
Mitch R says:
Amen Brother......I think 8.5 is a great score (in fact better than great, according to IGN's ratings 8.0 =great). Get off this notion that everything that doesn't get a 9 isn't worth playing. You guys will miss out on a lot of great games with this mentality.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2012, 6:05:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 29, 2012, 6:12:40 AM PDT
Jason Bean says:
I agree. I'm starting to think gaming critics should do away with numeric scores just to stop this nonsense. There's no way a number could possibly sum up the quality or enjoyment of a video game. But as you say 8.5/10 is pretty damn great (an "Editor's Choice" if I remember correctly).

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012, 11:14:40 PM PDT
Bravo.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  16
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Apr 14, 2012
Latest post:  May 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

This discussion is about