Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Ignite the Fire: The Secrets to Building a Successful Personal Training Career (Revised, Updated, and Expanded) Paperback – February 10, 2015
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
- Muscle & Fitness magazine (print)
"Goodman shares the secrets of how to land your dream job in fitness, build a client list, and make money in the fitness game."
- Livestrong (Rated one of the 21 Must-Read Health, Fitness, and Nutrition Books)
"This book comprehensively covers everything you need to know to besuccessful in the field. All you need to do is apply the information and you'll be well on your way to a prosperous career"
- Brad Schoenfeld (2011 NSCA Personal Trainer of the Year)
"I wish I had it when I first started training."
- Jason J Durham (Amazon Verified Purchase)
"Jonathan Goodman breaks the information up in a way that's easy to digest and gives examples of how this information can be and has been applied before."
- Jeremy (Amazon Verified Purchase)
"Everything I needed to know was laid out and quickly put me on par or even ahead of colleagues who had already been in the industry for a few years."
- Bryan (Amazon Verified Purchase)
"This is very detailed and fascinating approach to help You understand what this profession is all about."
- Active Kinetics (Amazon Verified Purchase)
"Goodman presents practical advice in a direct way, with real and relatable examples that seem more and more applicable as I see more clients."
- Sarah Hoffman (Amazon Verified Purchase)
"The best and most comprehensive book on personal training I've read in 10 years."
- Kyle Wenger (Amazon Verified Purchase)
"This book should totally be a requirement for all personal trainers to read!"
- Ashley Rose Espinosa (Amazon Verified Purchase)
"Within days of reading it, I could already feel my anxieties melt away. I hadn't yet trained one client, but I already felt prepared for what was to come."
- Shane Hubbard (Amazon Verified Purchase)
"This book has helped me overcome my Achilles Heel (business savviness)."
- Chris (Amazon Verified Purchase)
"This book has truly helped me set myself apart from all the trainers at my gym (hopefully they don't read this :)"
- Mike (Amazon Verified Purchase)
"I didn't find one chapter that wasn't valuable, no fluff. I am just getting in to the personal training space at 45 years old, and this book provided me with a blueprint, take away tips, and great advise."
- Paul Boyajian (Amazon Verified Purchase)
"This isn't your normal "how to become a personal trainer" book. Those are boring. "
- Craig (Amazon Verified Purchase)
"Actionable steps are included in every chapter, so you not only gain knowledge but you also learn how to translate that knowledge to help REAL people in REAL LIFE."
- Christy Johnson (Amazon Verified Purchase)
From the Author
I'm Jon or, as most call me, Coach Jon.
I believe that personal training is the best job in the world and I work hard to give everyone a chance to build a successful, fulfilling, and profitable career. Everything I teach and preach is rooted in integrity.
Through my work, I've helped thousands of trainers grow their career and I share everything I know in my books.
Whether you're a new or experienced trainer, I think I can help you. Please enjoy my books and I'd love for you to check out my site, the Personal Trainer Development Center (theptdc.com).
If you buy a new print edition of this book (or purchased one in the past), you can buy the Kindle edition for only $0.99 (Save 90%). Print edition purchase must be sold by Amazon. Learn more.
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
Top Customer Reviews
To be successful in the personal training business requires more than a formal exercise education or personal experience working out, it takes a deep understanding of psychology and human behavior as well extensive knowledge of business, sales and marketing, and learning it all is not easy when you don't have a mentor. When I started, there was virtually no guidance available in these missing areas of trainer education.
Today there are teachers who have been there, done it, figured it all out and are sharing their knowledge; people like Jonathan Goodman, a man who is known as the trainer of trainers. Jonathan's newly updated "Ignite the Fire", is a superb guidebook to the entire range of skills you must master to lead the field today.
Some of the information in the book may not be new to long-time experienced trainers, yet every trainer at every level is sure to pick up some valuable nuggets - some little tricks or insights they never thought of before that could make even the already established trainer even more successful.
For new trainers, especially those who are struggling to get business or carve out their unique niche where they fit best in the industry, this book will be indispensable and is worthy not just of reading, but of studying.Read more ›
I memorized the interview process laid out in Ignite the Fire and used it (almost word-for-word) during the interview process to get hired at one of the most well respected gyms in Downtown Toronto.
Not only does it teach this, but it gives you a game plan for setting yourself up with a successful personal training career.
I would recommend this as a "must have" for every Personal Trainer (new or old).
This book is more than sales (which you'll learn how to do as well), as Jon covers dozens of important points in-depth to build your business:
* Compliance: How to get your clients to stick with it by using the right motivation, inspiration and communication.
* Techniques to help your clients develop self-efficacy (and the psychology behind it)
* How to develop relationships and build loyalty with clients and with all the people in your business network
* Finding your right fit in the industry by reviewing the pros and cons of different types of training work including big box gyms, studios, in home training, garage gyms, community centers, medical facilities and online training
* New opportunities in online training and how to use the the web (blogs, social media, etc) to increase your visibility and business.
* How to adjust your approach to goal setting for clients based on their training experience and personality (using the old "SMART goals" approach may not work for everyone).
* Understanding intrinsic and extrinsic motivation
* How to set yourself apart from the competition, differentiate yourself, and why this is so important today.
* Why you should start broad and then become a specialist, whether that's low back pain prevention & rehab, getting great glutes, working with older clients, pre and post natal training and so on.Read more ›
Jon has been there. It shows in his writing. He knows you can't "make 100k" this month just by some fancy marketing scheme baked up in someone's mind.
This book is a reflection of what it takes to be in the thick of it all!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Lots of "refresher" information for anyone who has already worked in the industry. Probably higher recommended for someone brand new.Published 1 day ago by Sammiee
Great book! Having been involved in the training industry for over 12 years, I wasn't sure I could get any value from this book. I was wrong! Read morePublished 9 days ago by Amazon Customer
Wow!! This book has everything you need to know with regards to succeeding as a Personal Trainer. I'm almost done with the book but I may have to re-read it 15 more times before I... Read morePublished 11 days ago by Amazon Customer
Soooooo much amazing info, gives me more confidence as a trainer and building my business absolutely recommend for new and experienced trainersPublished 17 days ago by Nicole Mendoza
Ignite the Fire is the missing piece for most personal trainers. It encompasses everything from how to get, retain, and grow your business. Read morePublished 1 month ago by Amazon Customer