Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
Ignite the Fire: The Secrets to Building a Successful Personal Training Career (Revised, Updated, and Expanded) Paperback – February 10, 2015
See the Best Books of 2018 So Far
Looking for something great to read? Browse our editors' picks for the best books of the year so far in fiction, nonfiction, mysteries, children's books, and much more.
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
- Muscle & Fitness magazine (print)
"Goodman shares the secrets of how to land your dream job in fitness, build a client list, and make money in the fitness game."
- Livestrong (Rated one of the 21 Must-Read Health, Fitness, and Nutrition Books)
"This book comprehensively covers everything you need to know to besuccessful in the field. All you need to do is apply the information and you'll be well on your way to a prosperous career"
- Brad Schoenfeld (2011 NSCA Personal Trainer of the Year)
"I wish I had it when I first started training."
- Jason J Durham (Amazon Verified Purchase)
"Jonathan Goodman breaks the information up in a way that's easy to digest and gives examples of how this information can be and has been applied before."
- Jeremy (Amazon Verified Purchase)
"Everything I needed to know was laid out and quickly put me on par or even ahead of colleagues who had already been in the industry for a few years."
- Bryan (Amazon Verified Purchase)
"This is very detailed and fascinating approach to help You understand what this profession is all about."
- Active Kinetics (Amazon Verified Purchase)
"Goodman presents practical advice in a direct way, with real and relatable examples that seem more and more applicable as I see more clients."
- Sarah Hoffman (Amazon Verified Purchase)
"The best and most comprehensive book on personal training I've read in 10 years."
- Kyle Wenger (Amazon Verified Purchase)
"This book should totally be a requirement for all personal trainers to read!"
- Ashley Rose Espinosa (Amazon Verified Purchase)
"Within days of reading it, I could already feel my anxieties melt away. I hadn't yet trained one client, but I already felt prepared for what was to come."
- Shane Hubbard (Amazon Verified Purchase)
"This book has helped me overcome my Achilles Heel (business savviness)."
- Chris (Amazon Verified Purchase)
"This book has truly helped me set myself apart from all the trainers at my gym (hopefully they don't read this :)"
- Mike (Amazon Verified Purchase)
"I didn't find one chapter that wasn't valuable, no fluff. I am just getting in to the personal training space at 45 years old, and this book provided me with a blueprint, take away tips, and great advise."
- Paul Boyajian (Amazon Verified Purchase)
"This isn't your normal "how to become a personal trainer" book. Those are boring. "
- Craig (Amazon Verified Purchase)
"Actionable steps are included in every chapter, so you not only gain knowledge but you also learn how to translate that knowledge to help REAL people in REAL LIFE."
- Christy Johnson (Amazon Verified Purchase)
From the Author
I'm Jon or, as most call me, Coach Jon.
I believe that personal training is the best job in the world and I work hard to give everyone a chance to build a successful, fulfilling, and profitable career. Everything I teach and preach is rooted in integrity.
Through my work, I've helped thousands of trainers grow their career and I share everything I know in my books.
Whether you're a new or experienced trainer, I think I can help you. Please enjoy my books and I'd love for you to check out my site, the Personal Trainer Development Center (theptdc.com).
If you buy a new print edition of this book (or purchased one in the past), you can buy the Kindle edition for only $0.99 (Save 90%). Print edition purchase must be sold by Amazon. Learn more.
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
To be successful in the personal training business requires more than a formal exercise education or personal experience working out, it takes a deep understanding of psychology and human behavior as well extensive knowledge of business, sales and marketing, and learning it all is not easy when you don't have a mentor. When I started, there was virtually no guidance available in these missing areas of trainer education.
Today there are teachers who have been there, done it, figured it all out and are sharing their knowledge; people like Jonathan Goodman, a man who is known as the trainer of trainers. Jonathan's newly updated "Ignite the Fire", is a superb guidebook to the entire range of skills you must master to lead the field today.
Some of the information in the book may not be new to long-time experienced trainers, yet every trainer at every level is sure to pick up some valuable nuggets - some little tricks or insights they never thought of before that could make even the already established trainer even more successful.
For new trainers, especially those who are struggling to get business or carve out their unique niche where they fit best in the industry, this book will be indispensable and is worthy not just of reading, but of studying. The information could help you land your first client, make more money, get promoted or even score your dream job.
Some of the topics Jonathan covered that I thought were especially valuable included:
* Compliance: How to get your clients to stick with it by using the right motivation, inspiration and communication.
* Techniques to help your clients develop self-efficacy (and the psychology behind it)
* How to develop relationships and build loyalty with clients and with all the people in your business network
* Finding your right fit in the industry by reviewing the pros and cons of different types of training work including big box gyms, studios, in home training, garage gyms, community centers, medical facilities and online training
* New opportunities in online training and how to use the the web (blogs, social media, etc) to increase your visibility and business.
* How to adjust your approach to goal setting for clients based on their training experience and personality (using the old "SMART goals" approach may not work for everyone).
* Understanding intrinsic and extrinsic motivation
* How to set yourself apart from the competition, differentiate yourself, and why this is so important today.
* Why you should start broad and then become a specialist, whether that's low back pain prevention & rehab, getting great glutes, working with older clients, pre and post natal training and so on.
* How to sell personal training, even if you don't like sales and don't consider yourself a sales person (including a practical 5 step selling formula)
* A close look at the 10 types of clients and how to understand them and work with them effectively
* How to develop the social skills of the worlds best trainers, such as approaching clients on the floor, making small talk, getting rapport, helping quiet clients relax and open up and developing great questioning skills
* Also the "side bars" ("Keys to success in the fitness industry") featuring all the guest segments with some of the top trainers in the business were all very helpful because they gave real world, practical tips and advice.
In summing up, though this book covers all bases (as much as one book can do that), I think the strongest part is the attention it gives to understanding psychology and human behavior. When you understand the reality of the typical client's lifestyle and deeper motivations, and work with each individual, knowing where they're coming from, you'll develop a bond with your clients that a trainer who doesn't understand this will never achieve... one that will give you the edge.
And as the title implies, Ignite the Fire explains how to take your passion for fitness and pass it on to your clients, building an emotional connection with exercise for your clients, getting them excited to work out and keep doing it for life.
Although I ultimately ended up with a lot of success in the fitness industry, I wish I had this book when i started out in personal training. I'm sure it could have helped save me from years of frustration.
Disclosure: I received a copy of the book directly from Jonathan. I had not read the previous edition so I can't make a comparison, though I have read his book on social media (also a great read), follow him on Facebook and visit the personal training development center (PTDC) regularly. On that note, I also recommend that trainers follow the PTDC for continuing education and for the list of must-read material Jonathan and his team compile/curate every week, which saves all of us a whole lot of time in staying up to date.
After mastering my own programming and seeing results, I wanted to help others. I read Ignite the Fire.
As I type this years later I'm sitting in my own personal training studio. I have over 50 clients I work with in a small group setting. Jon Goodman has guided me on how to build a client army. The programming I use I learned over the years from great coaches, but the psychology of people who need our help? That was where I was and am still sometimes stuck. Enter Jon. He understands the psychology behind helping people change. If you think any of his products might help you, buy them yesterday. He's that good.
Most recent customer reviews
Love the message about doing something that you love but also making enough to live out of...Read more