Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$3.99

Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 18 reviews
on March 18, 2012
SYNOPSIS: A cop's g-friend is killed with a bullet meant for him. He tries to drink himself to death on his private island Iguana Bay. Then, the man who killed his g-friend is up on murder charges of another victim. One woman stands as the killer's alibi. The (ex)cop kidnaps her, takes her to his island, and then fights his intense physical and romantic attraction to the alibi.

The cop believes she's a mob moll. She encourages this belief in hopes it will keep his hands off her and keep her alive. In reality, she's a virgin school teacher, who happened to be at the wrong place/wrong time. Cop falls in love with her, takes her back to Miami, she gets the bad guy off. The bad guy gets finished off in the novel in a spectacular shoot-em up.

PROS:
My favorite scene was when the heroine handcuffed the sleeping hero to his own bed. It was funny, and clever. Even the character later admitted that was when he fell in love with her.

I loved the scene where the heroine was deathly ill with cramps and the hero showed genuine concern for her. He even told her to 'Do me a favor and get another doctor'. It was a sweet scene and really showed how the characters were beginning to trust each other and mesh together.

An enjoyable read - if you skip the first few pages where the ex-cop gets lectured by his friend. If I were the editor, I'd suggest dropping that chapter entirely, and start with the witness in the Miami guilded prison high rise.

CONS:
1) Gators don't eat people. They DROWN them, let the meat age a little, then eat them later. So the hero didn't once "see someone get eaten by a gator". (I'm a Floridian who has the nasty things wandering in my neighborhood. Don't let your dog out loose, cause they'll be gator food).

2) No one seeemed to even consider the judicial consequences of tampering with a witness, assault, or kidnapping. Pretty sure, the hero would at least have pause and consider - oh say - asking the heroine to say, "pretty please would ya not tell anyone I committed a serious crime that would put me in prison for the rest of my life? Pretty please?!".

3) When the hero was taking the heroine back to Miami he cut the motor and stared at her. Her first thoughts were of a romantic nature. Yeah. Right. She never considered that he might be planning on tossing her overboard for fish bait. Nor that he had plenty of reason to NOT return her safely to the mainland.

GENERAL OBSERVATION
Liked this book enough that I almost marked it 5 stars, but the boring chapter at the beginning pushed it down a notch. It was a freebie on my kindle, and I will probably pursue reading other titles by this author.

The characters leaped out of the pages and did their thing.

It kept me up late finishing it and isn't that what good books are supposed to do?
on March 9, 2016
I enjoyed the story of Dylan and Elise. Dylan is an ex-cop turned bounty hunter. Elise is a midwestern school teacher on vacation in Miami. Dylan kidnaps her to keep her from testifying for Sebastian, a murderer. Dylan takes Elise to Iguana Bay, an island in the Gulf of Mexico where he lives. Sparks fly, and the two fall for each other. But, Dylan doesn't trust easily, and he believes that Elise is the mistress of Sebastian. The story was good, but I found a few inconsistencies. Dylan's best friend, Skeeter, is said in one place to be the husband of one of Dylan's sisters. In another place, he's just an old friend, and both of Dylan's sisters live across the country. I found tons words run together and numerous paragraphs run together. The editing could have been better. This is very sloppy work and makes me glad that I got the book on a day it was offered free. If I had paid for it, I would have demanded a full refund.
VINE VOICEon January 27, 2009
I had the pleasure of reading "Last Summer" by this author and went on to buy up her entire back list. She is an excellent author, has a wonderful pacing to her books, and has an ability to make "common" story lines fresh and exciting. I keep on wondering why she never made it as big as other authors have...it's certainly not her talent!

Dylan Davis is a mess. He is a cop who's on administrative leave after one of the "bad guys" who was out to kill HIM mistakenly shot and killed Dylan's GIRLFRIEND. He feels responsible and has secluded himself on Iguana Bay to "heal". In actuality he's drinking himself to death.

Dylan learns that the gunman who shot his girlfriend is up on murder charges for someone else, but has an alibi that he is keeping "safe" until the trial. Dylan decides that he needs to kidnap this alibi so that she won't be able to testify on behalf of this killer, and he will get the prison sentence that he deserves.

Elise Ramsey is the alibi. Dylan kidnaps her and brings her to Iguana Bay to hold her captive until after the trial is over. This "bounty hunter" romance quickly morphs into a "cabin romance" as Elise's initial fear of Dylan turns to interest, attraction, lust, and finally love.

I love Weir's ability with human emotion and dialogue. It is witty, sweet, and moving all at the same time. She is not to be missed and I have yet to read anything by her that was anything but entertaining and unforgettable!
on April 21, 2014
A good but fairly short story about two people who don't really trust one another (or rather, the hero does not trust the heroine because he thinks she's the girlfriend of some crime lord) but who are still attracted to one another. I would have wanted the hero to be able to see the heroine for the nice woman she is but he was very slow on the uptake.

Not Theresa Weir's best book but a nice read.
on April 2, 2012
I read this and enjoyed it, but every time I've looked at my Kindle library, I wonder what "Iguana Bay" is about. Obviously nothing about the story stuck with me. It's a typical rough, tough man in pain and frightened women who has no one else to turn to type of story. It's so painfully obvious from the first moment that any degree of conversation between the two would have cleared everything up that I got annoyed. Hey, it was free and didn't suck and there's sex in it. You could do worse.
on March 20, 2015
This,to me, is the perfect romance. Old fashioned (I.e. good girl, heroic guy)
If you liked American Dreamer, by the same author, you will like this one too.
on February 9, 2017
Excellent
on May 25, 2012
This story had all the elements of a vintage romantic suspence. However it seemed to just check off items on the list. Its not bad, its just not memorable. I enjoyed it yes. Will I read it again? Prob. not.
In the end it is what it seems to be. A good distraction on a rainy day.
on June 8, 2012
This book was okay. Some of the story line was quite obvious as to what would happen next and other parts were way off the wall, using ideas from old TV detective series. I started enjoying the book about a third of the way into it.
on April 2, 2012
Iguana Bay is a very good read. It is well written and had a good pace. I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to reading more books by Theresa Weir. Iguana Bay (Silhouette Intimate Moments)