Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Illustory Make-A-Book Kit
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

on October 16, 2003
Our son has written 2 books with Illustory already! He loves seeing the words that he writes typed onto the pages (by the company) and the drawings he does come out beautifully printed on the book. He is so excited and proud of himself when he shows his friends, family and teacher his publications! The book even comes with an About-the-Author page just like real published books! Everything that you need to write and draw is provided in the kit and the instructions are very easy to follow. In just a few weeks you get back a real hardcover book! The experience was so terrific, we plan on having him write a book each year so he can see how much his writing changes year after year. And just as soon as his new baby sister is old enough, we'll start her writing books with Illustory too. The books are a great family keepsake. We love them
55 comments| 483 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 14, 2003
Thank you for carrying this terrific product. My kids love to read and one day my son told me he wanted to write his own book someday. I saw this kit and thought I would give it to him to try. The process was simple. He wrote his story, added pictures and we dropped it in the mail in the postage paid envelope (which was great-by the way) that was included in the kit. My son actually forgot all about it and about 2 weeks later our mail carrier knocked at our front door with a package addressed to my son. I can't even describe the look on his face when he took out his book. He looked at every detail and couldn't wait to show everyone his masterpiece. He has written several books now and I enjoy seeing his progress unfold. I highly recommend this kit to any parent that has a child even remotely interested in reading or writing. What a value!
77 comments| 272 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2004
Beware! -- this kit only allows 20 words per page and only contains 12 pages. I returned it because I wanted something where my 10-yr-old neice could write a short story.

(I think this is why it's recommended for ages 5-9.)
66 comments| 366 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 14, 2003
Quite simply this is the coolest toy I have ever purchased. My children love writing their stories and drawing their pictures and then having it all published in a real harback book with their words typed on the page. They are so proud of their books--they show them to everyone who comes to the house! The instructions were easy to follow and the quality of the finished book is exceptional! We do a new book every six months or so and order extra copies and give them to the grandparents. Our library is becoming quite large. It makes a neat birthday gift too. Thank you for making such a wonderful product.
11 comment| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 13, 2007
This is such a wonderful concept, but 20 words a page is too few, even for my five year old. It is very limiting to imagination and descriptive storytelling when you are constantly told, "Oh, sorry sweetie, that won't fit."

Frustratingly, the kit promises an advanced option with unlimited words, but you have to use the computer for the whole thing. My five and six year old clearly want to make the drawings themselves!
1010 comments| 156 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2005
Illustory is really awesome! Last year we did it for the first time and it turned out so cute! We gave one for a gift and kept one. It is a little costly but worth it! Def. send in a pic of your little writer because that is so neat how they write "About the Author" and your little one's face is in the book just like a real author and they describe his or her likes or dislikes. This cost extra but really made the book. I def. recommend this. You will see how your child gets better at writing each year if you do it yearly like we are doing.
on December 13, 2001
As a teacher, I had to buy this gift for my seven-year-old niece. She loved making her own book, and the finished product that they send you is very professional looking, like a book that you would purchase from a store. They even included some tips and activities to help children write their stories, including diagrams for pre-planning and brainstorming. My niece loves her book and shows it off to everyone - she even took it to school and got to read it at storytime. This is a great educational activity that really gets children to be creative, and they love it. Buy it for all of your favorite kids!
on December 6, 2004
We ordered these for our children for last year's Christmas, it was about the best thing they've ever recieved! It challenged them to come up with their very own story, using thier imagination and when the books arrived, they were so proud! They gave a copy of their books to thier teachers at school and copies to thier Grandparents. We will be ordering more of these for the kids and also to have on hand for birthday parties, or other gift giving occasions involving kids. I highly recommend these.
on February 2, 2000
Get one of these kits for each of your children!They love to write their own stories, draw pictures and send it all in to receive a hard cover book that you (and they) will always treasure! My 5 yr. old is working on hers now!The quality and ease is excellent.
on June 25, 1999
This an outstanding idea, and a great gift idea for the young artist in your family. You can make any book you want, comic, picture, or story book. Lots of choices, colors, and the printing costs for multiple copies is a real deal.