CHOKING HAZARD -- Small parts. Not for children under 3 yrs.
ICARUS Illumina E654BK 6" e-reader with Carta screen, front light, Android and Google PlayStore - Black
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- The 6" E-Ink Carta screen has a resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels.Thanks to E-Ink technology, contrast is high and reading is like reading from a paper book. Even in direct sunlight you can read with perfect comfort and without eye fatigue.
- The Illumina has a multitouch capacitive touch screen. You can flip through pages by swiping the screen and open option menus by tapping the screen once. With multitouch support, you can increase or decrease the font size by pinch and zoom. Easy as that!
- Powered by Android Jelly Bean and with Google Play Store integrated, you have access to thousands of apps.
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n connectivity allows you to download ebooks on the go, whenever a Wi-Fi hotspot is available. Use Cloud Storage services to store your library in the cloud.
- The 8Gb internal memory offers space for thousands of ebooks, but if even that is not enough, you can insert a Micro SD memory card for up to 32Gb additional storage.
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Read your favorite books wherever you are with the all new Illumina. It features a 6" E-Ink Carta touch screen with integrated front light. This means you can read comfortably during the day and at night. Thanks to the Wi-Fi connectivity you can wirelessly browse the web and access content on the go. The Illumina is world's first e-reader with the Android 4.2 Jelly Bean operating system. It comes with several apps pre-installed and you can even install your own apps, from your favorite reading app to social media or productivity apps. Naturally, the ICARUS Illumina offers support for all relevant e-book formats and has many options for adjusting the layout of your books. Perfect PDF Re-Flow comes natural with all ICARUS e-readers and the Illumina is no exception. The Illumina also offers support for dictionaries (StarDict) that can be downloaded and easily installed to the device. The new Illumina is available in special bundles with our PerfectFit covers.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Shipping from Netherlands was very fast with FedEx, 5 days including weekend. Someone was home to sign for the delivery. I don't know if they would have left it at the door though.
Make sure to order the reader + cover combo from Amazon! I regretfully didn't. It's only $10 extra for the combo. Ordering just the cover directly from Icarus is very expensive. I reached out to OdysseyWebShop and they said they'll add a cover listing to Amazon some time in the future, hopefully it will be reasonably priced.
Finally, even though I like this reader so far, there were some issues.
- Setting up Wifi screen was in German. I had to guess which buttons to press. After wifi setup I was presented with Language choice. Should have been other way around - Language selection first.
- Front light is too bright at lowest setting. I don't need that much light when it's pitch black in the middle of the night. Maybe there can be a firmware update to fix this?
- Front light flickered the first night I used it. This is the issue that worries me the most. Every so often the light would get brighter for a fraction of a second and then restore to normal. I didn't see this problem in the morning when the room was a little bit brighter. I will keep observing this for the next couple of days. Hopefully this won't happen again, otherwise I'll have to reach out for exchange.
So far I would recommend this reader if you're looking for freedom to easily install whatever you want. As I learn more I'll make sure to update the review.
I'm taking off 2 stars. While the Amazon vendor is trying to be helpful, the manufacturer is difficult to deal with. Thanks to the vendor, the manufacturer supplied me with 2 iterations of firmware update files to fix the bright front light issue. First time they send invalid instructions. 2nd time the instructions are in Chinese. I was able to google for some more installation info online, but it's not enough for me to successfully upgrade the firmware. I've wasted at least 3 hours on this already.
The US vendor was kind enough to accept the RMA so I didn't have to pay high shipping cost. They sent the reader to Netherlands manufacturer. The manufacturer said they couldn't reproduce the problem even after I explained it to them yet again. I'm calling BS. At this point I'm done with this reader and manufacturer, and want a refund.
Seems like the both the manufacturer and vendor have decided that the issue is not their device, and they can't do anything about it. They don't want to fix anything or provide a refund. They're shipping the device back to me. I sent them a few strong worded emails to let them know how I feel about all this, and reducing my review rating to 1 star. STAY AWAY!
Android, with access to play store!
Fully operational browser
Response touch screen, far better than my first gen Kindle Paper white
Paddles for flipping pages was awesome
Android is only 4.0 -- This OS was released in 2011, and limits app selection. Latest is 7.1
Lowest setting on back-light far too bright
Safari Queue didn't work!
One of the only reasons I bought this device was to read Safari Books Online, but the Safari Queue app didn't work. Probably because the operating system is so old. The hardware felt solid, the display was crisp, the response time was fast, ergonomics were great. The old OS, and too bright back-light were the deciding factors on me returning the device. It just didn't fit my need.
I'm definitely going to keep my eye on future generations of this product, as it was so close to the mark.