Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Illustrated Letters: Artists and Writers Correspond
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

on January 4, 2000
The artists' musings in these provocative letters give us a fascinating insight into their fears and hopes, accompanied by charming and apparently impromptu sketches in watercolor and pen-and-ink drawings. Abrams as always has produced a first-class book. If there is any criticism to be made it is that some of the longer letters are completed in the appendix,making for some clumsy back-and-forth thumbing. Otherwise the editors have come up with some wonderful examples of the genre with illustrations ranging from elegant to fragile.This is a substantial volume that offers many absorbing hours of looking and reading.
on April 10, 2013
Illustrated Letters may not eliminate e-mails, but it is chock full of wonderful original drawings and paintings done by friends or relatives that made the letter special since the effect was the same as receiving a gift.
on January 13, 2002
I loved this book-- I have had it on my wish list for a long, long time and my wonderful husband gave it (and three other books) to me for my birthday. It was so hard to not ignore everyone and just read it! There are letters from van Gogh, Gaugin, Collete-- all these famous people who corresponded with oftentimes other famous people. It really gives us a deeper understanding of who these people were by seeing what they wrote and how they interpretted their lives.
It is helping my daughter's French-- many letters are in French (with translations!) as well as giving us perspective on their lives and the times the writers were in. I have never sent a blank note to anyone and now thata I see how these letters are cherished years later, I resolve to keep up with my own work!
on April 24, 2004
When looking at the history, or attempting to discover the history of artists books and journals certainly one would want to include this well appointed book in one's library. It is an enriching experience to savour little bits of correspondence, renderings and illustrated journals of every man, but to be able to also explore the correspond and journals of the well known makes for a bonus. I thoroughly enjoyed receiving this book as a gift and recommend it as a gift to journalers, sketchers and all those visual.