Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon ballerss3 ballerss3  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 86 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 103 reviews
VINE VOICEon April 13, 2016
I was a little hesitant to order this based on the images shown in the "look inside" feature. However once getting the book in my hands I was quite pleased with the quality of them. The book is a great size, making the images clear and enjoyable to look at. I am considering the purchase of a second copy so I can frame some of the images.
on February 14, 2017
This is an excellent book of engravings for Dante's Divine Comedy. They contain some sublime and surreal illustrations using usually a high chiascuro which lends a dark and forbidding atmosphere to the Inferno. Great stuff.
on January 8, 2017
after looking at jpegs of these pictures for years its so nice to have a hard copy in front of me, dores line work was just incredible, the printing on this version is beautiful, very very nice
on December 12, 2015
Update:
I'm upgrading my rating from 2-stars to 4-stars, because ... How can anybody rate Dore's fantastic imagery any less than 5-stars??

But I have to take a star off for the washed-out print quality. Maybe it's just my copy, but the later prints in the book have that look like when the printer is running out of black ink

Original review:

Doré's prints are outstanding, of course ...

But the print quality of this collection is poor - all the prints are a fairly washed-out, low-contrast grey.

The originals are much more dramatic, with high-contrast bold blacks and whites.

I would be willing to pay more for a higher quality reproduction...
on May 17, 2017
Although Doré's illustrations are available on-line, I like having a copy of the book to carry with me as I read through _The Divine Comedy_.
on April 13, 2017
The images of an age of faith searching the heavens for truth. Before space ships we had imagination writ large from holy scripture.
on March 24, 2014
Perhaps they already are!

I recently had the opportunity to read Danté's Divine Comedy as part of a book discussion group. Given the number of cultural references to the work I've observed and used over my life (I even entitled a college dance party "The Inferno" many years ago because the dance floor was hot!), reading the work was on my "bucket list." Of course the language and descriptions were very thick in places, and having the Dore's book of illustrations really helped the story come to life as well as helped me to stay on track while reading. The illustrations are gorgeous, in many places gruesomely so, and really convey the torture or rapture of the characters depicted in the Divine Comedy. This book of illustrations is a must-have companion to the Divine Comedy, and is highly recommended!
Although just a man, the prolific career of Gustove Dore really has some divine inspiration. Perhaps that's one reason the church needed him so much - perhaps something really did reach out and whisper his name and someone listened. (Personally I hope that thing was Cthulhu and the dreams were bad, but that's just me)

As far as this book goes, it is one of the easiest to gain entry into a very exciting world. I like the way the rendering are set to tell the story, too, allowing the reader to walk through some frightening gates and look into some of the terrible things that are described in a language that sometimes does seem heavy (Personal opinion and I don't mean offense by it).

When I look at this, it reminds me of the journey that I took as a young adult while learning about all those names and faces that I didn't know. It also reminds me of everything from people with their bodies buried in the ground to one poor soul writhing as a half spider/half woman appeared on the ground. Dore is that kind of influence and I'm glad that someone granted me entry into this world because, if they hadn't, I would have missed out on so much. So, brielf, I have to say that this is well worth the price of admission and it is well worth obtaining so you can look at the detail and marvel at the tools being utilized.

also, look into the other books. The bible, the mad; Dore was inspired by everything. And that is inspiring, to say the least.
on December 11, 2016
Beautiful illustrations; an enjoyable accompaniment to reading The Divine Comedy.
on May 4, 2017