Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 59 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 84 reviews
on June 21, 2017
I have wanted to read this book since it was first published. The story kept me from ever using benzodiazepines. The word valium had become a dirty word after the publication of this book.
on September 3, 2014
I guess one of thé first autobiographic book on thé dévastation caused by benzodiazepines .
I feel sorry for her because a that Time it seems only her émotionnal disturbances were taken into account
It would hâve been so less painfull if thêy has reinititiated her with valium and let her follow à slow taper for one or twô years
A total suspense In nightmare
on August 21, 2014
Anyone who is experiencing drug withdrawals and psychiatric care should read this book. It is very informative about the system of treatment by a woman who not only investigated it as a television documentary producer but who experienced it personally as a patient. IT is wonderful when a knowledgeable, articulate person can convey his or her personal story for the reader.
I recommend this book for parents and for those having their own struggle with drug dependency.
on July 14, 2015
Very scary what can happen with prescription drugs!
on January 24, 2016
This work has great potential for a wide variety of readers. Comforting and provocative. Wisdom. I give it as a gift when appropriate.
on April 1, 2015
It is kind of depressing that anyone would listen to a Doctor prescribe the amount of Valium that this woman took. Addiction is not something that a lot of Doctors taken into consideration when they prescribe so many medications that have severe toxic consequences-this poor soul bought into not owning her own body
on January 9, 2015
I felt as if I was part of Barbara's story. Her ups and downs moved me and I wanted to her fight for herself the whole book.... Mostly when she was with her lover and talking to her doctor of ten years. We all have mountains to climb and Barbara was able to come out on top and alive. Very inspiring.
on November 16, 2015
This is a classic
on March 12, 2014
Read it when it was first published and reread it a couple of weeks ago. Hard to believe that doctors still prescribe so many addictive drugs to patients (Xanax, atavan, Ambien) to name a few. Gordon's book gives us pause at this common medical problem but also at how we hide from what tortures us and the courage it takes to come out from behind the veil.
on January 30, 2012
This is an especially good book if you have suffered from withdrawal from a benzodiazepine. It really brings home the fact that these drugs can suppress your emotions and that considerable therapy and effort may be needed to gain control of your life. I highly recommend it and I couldn't put it down.