Industrial Deals HPC Magazine Deals Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on July 30, 2017
Everything by Kegan is excellent. This book is an absolutely wonderful way to think about adult development and change. The distinction between technical solutions and adaptive solutions is an important one, and highlights how little we know about how to apply our own energies in the direction of our goals. Change is possible, but most of us simply don't know how it actually works. It is a great relief that brilliant people like Kegan are looking into this, and for the interested reader that is willing to put in the work, this will no doubt be a value asset. What I appreciated the most was that the book de-constructs our patterns and the different areas of our personality/habits that actually feed into those, such underlying big assumptions or commitments. This part stuck with me and reminded me to always think about my own habits along the lines of those questions.
on December 31, 2015
Poorly written (sales-y, many redundant examples)
Potentially classist

Yet, the underlying model is extremely powerful and is totally worth slogging through the book. You can read the first 3-4 chapters and get everything you need from this. The real benefit comes from going through the Immunity Process itself. It really carries great potential for creating genuine change, and I'm excited to continue working on myself with this model.
22 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 13, 2018
Immunity to Change is very powerful for the space that one must explore on the way to powerful leadership practices. The “subject-object relationship” is vital to understanding how a given mindset “works” for us to create ease in making sense of things, while conveniently affording us a perspective that takes in the picture of a world from which our worst fears have been taken, compartmentalized, and hidden in plain sight. Powerfully useful. The immunity to change.

See pp. 1-60, an excellent summary of the stages of adult human consciousness. Especially, pp. 47-53 focuses on the "subject-object" dynamics that stand at the crossroads of growth for leadership effectiveness.

The rest of the book illustrates (with relevant examples) an efficient method for uncovering hidden assumptions, fears that hold us in one mindset, with which we must make peace before we can make good on our intention for creating greater effectiveness in our lives.
on August 13, 2017
This is a very good read that may surprise you. It shows you how much the people in your organization are the center of your ability to change.

If you want a much shorter and very practical book to help you maker changes in your personal life, then read:
Why You Do What You Do by Bobb Biehl
This second book is a very practical workbook to help people understand themselves.It is not an academic book, but a basic self-help book. It is the book that people need to understand themselves. I highly recommend this simple book to those who want to make changes happen in their lives. This second book will help you do what the this first book suggests, but in a much simpler way.
on November 26, 2013
This is one of the most useful, applicable books for helping people change behavior. When someone has the skill, opportunity and motivation to change but continues to revert their behavior, what can you do? The genius of this work is its simplicity. While it is based on adult developmental theory, Immunity to Change leaves the theory inside a black box. The approach is so simple and yet incredibly powerful. Four questions:

- what do you want to do?
- what are you doing instead?
- what are you afraid of?
- what is your big assumption?

The approach can be applied individually or with groups. Kegan and Lahey also offer training for facilitators and coaches wishing to learn more about I2C at a deeper level.
on May 31, 2015
This is an excellent book. After having read it I went began observing my workplace carefully, it has given me a fresh and very useful way to look at organisations and teams and their functioning. The three broad, and progressive ways that people think are well set out. Most importantly it provides tools to understand people that seem to be a little different - those in the more advanced stages of how they think - and work with them in a way that draws out their capability. The book can be comforting for your own thinking, and how grown up you might really be. In my second read of some sections I gained much more from it after having looked at how practical situations could be interpreted. This book has changed how I look at teams and appointments for people - a must read for all those senior managers who rely on the "thinking capability" of their teams for success.
on December 30, 2015
Interesting book with some thought provoking ideas. Read this as required reading for a master's level class. It definitely provides some food for thought so far as getting to the root of what may be holding you back. But as others have mentioned, I felt like it dragged on a bit at times. There is a lot to be said for the idea of "a lot in a little." But I suppose some of that could be attributed to this covering concepts that are really difficult to put into words and aren't necessarily a one size fits all. Definitely worth the read. But I do wonder if this is more fitting for younger folks working their way towards management or leadership positions. At my age (40), I'm not really certain change is quite so cut and dry as this process.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon February 22, 2009
Not simply a book about organizational transformation, Immunity to Change is a challenging analysis of how our well-developed methods of processing information and experience become barriers that hinder our attempts to achieve adaptive change. The first section of the book describes the theory and can be pretty tough going. The second applies the theory to case studies of organization change. The last is a primer on how to detect and overcome change immunity in your own organization.

At the risk of being overly reductive, I will try to summarize the theory.
People deal with fear and anxiety as a normal part of life. They don't feel this fear most of the time because they have created effective internal anxiety management systems. Those frameworks for evaluating experience are beneficial and necessary but can also form a hidden barrier to the desire to achieve adaptive change. The development of a more complex mental framework (the "self-transforming mind") help the individual recognize the filtering effect and limitations of his/her own frame of reference. This recognition will allow the individual to begin to negate the effects of an internally imposed change immunity.

Looked at this way, any change which is adaptive rather than technical will, as a matter of course, put at risk "a way of knowing the world that also serves as a way of managing a persistent, fundemental anxiety." The authors argue that we can only succeed with adaptive changes by recognizing the seriousness of the internal challenge we face. The desired change can put at risk "what has been a very well-functioning way of taking care of ourselves."

This all begins to explain why diets fail, smokers continue their habit in the face of a life threatening diagnosis or a manager does not increase flexibility even if his/her job depends on so doing.

If the authors are wrong, reading this book may add unnecessary complexity to our efforts to affect the change process. If they are correct, however, they are providing the beginnings of a critical understanding of the barriers to fundemental change as well as a methodology both to detect and resolve the problem.

Many business books present somewhat simplistic reformulations of problems with which managers have long wrestled. This book, on the other hand, offers a complex psychological and epistemological methodology to detect the seemingly insurmountable barrier to individual and organizational change. I found the arguments insightful and compelling but think it unlikely I could apply the approach suggested in section 3 without the assistance of a professional coach. Given that caveat, if the outputs can be as significant as the authors suggest, it would be worth the cost and the effort.
22 comments| 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 13, 2016
In my experience, the most powerful take-away from Kegan's book is his model of psychological development, and the implications of each stage. Very valuable, too, is the approach of looking for hidden motivations for resistance to change.

We all face issues in our own lives that we want to change, yet seem unable to do so. Change the self is never easy, though the framework laid out in this book makes the process easier.
on October 9, 2016
Kegan and Lahey's partnership over the last few decades have resulted in this amazing and powerful system, which can be valuable to get to the core of the issues an individual, team or organization faces when attempting to make a change. I have used the ITC model in my own life and I use it in my 1-on-1 coaching as well as in my workshops. This model is based on adult development theory and can help you uncover beliefs which are invisible to you but hold you in their grip.

One of my clients remarked that "the ITC workshop and the immunity map has given me more value than 2 years of therapy!"

If you are interested in a model that is based on sound research and has been simplified to make it highly applicable, you will find this book to be an invaluable resource.