Workplace Solutions Best of the Year Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Presto! Laundry Stocking Stuffers Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Platinum artists Shop Outdoor Gift Ideas on Amazon

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 87 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on November 6, 2016
I was really hoping for a great inspirational story about overcoming odds and a winning mindset. The book is good, but very hard to get through with a lot of different stories - bouncing all over time. You really have to pay attention. Overall, it wasn't as focused on the mindset and what it takes to be a champion as I thought it would be.
on June 17, 2013
I had previously read about Jim Abbott and the United States baseball team winning the 1988 Gold Medal in the Seoul South Korea
Olympics. As a 94 mph split fastball pitcher Jim went straight from college baseball to the major leagues signing with the
Anaheim Angels. After playing for the nicest owner in baseball (Gene Autry) he was traded to George Steinbrenner's New York Yankees. I like the way the story is told with alternating chapters highlighting Jim Abbott's no hitter on Sept. 4, 1993 in Yankee Stadium, with the rest of the story.

Jim Abbott is a great man. His story is very inspirational. It goes far beyond the news stories of man born without a right hand who makes it to the major leagues. It is about life and never giving up. I had a chance to meet him last month. He is one of the few people who is even more impressive when you meet them in person and realize what a great Dad he is to his two daughters.

Hal Kellman
on August 22, 2012
Having followed Mr. Abbott's career, I was already impressed and inspired by him and his accomplishments. This book gives personal insights into his incredible journey and is a great read. When faced with a challenge in life (as a so-called "able-bodied person"), I find myself asking "What would Jim Abbott do?" If folks like Kyle Maynard, Jim Abbott, and other alternatively enabled people can accomplish their goals, then we might as well wipe the word "excuse" from the English language. There are no more excuses. In an age of overpaid whiners and under-achieving egos in the world of sports, Mr. Abbott represents the traits of sportsmanship, class, and simple decency from a by-gone era, even in retirement. He earned his success and the insight from this book provides the background for his incredible life. Read it, be inspired, pay it forward.
on July 19, 2013
I was extremely interested in reading this book. I have lived in Flint all my life and attended Flint Central High School, just a Jim Abbott did, only much earlier than he did. His aunt just moved into the facility where I am living, and I was pleased to read the book. It is a good combination of not only his struggles, but also his career in major league baseball. His book is truly an example of overcoming adversity to achieve great things.
on July 3, 2013
As a disabled person myself (deaf, and mostly blind,) I really understood where Jim was coming from. But I also understood that sometimes, a disability (like it did with Jim) can define a life, and the character it builds.
Jim tells his story interspaced between his no hitter in 1993 and weaves a wonderful story about a special human being. I guarantee that you will have tears in your eyes no less than 15 times as you read.
on March 1, 2013
Reading a biography by a pro athlete who has accomplished so much against the odds, yet remains humble, is great. Jim just wanted to be remembered and respected for his actual accomplishments and abilities. He never wanted to be a side show attraction, just a great pitcher. The bouncing back and forth between his bio and the no-hitter was really interesting. As a Yankee fan who remembers that game so fondly, it was like reliving that crazy afternoon again. Loved the book.
on January 4, 2014
This is a very inspirational book for not only those people who believe they are disabled, but also for those who strive to be the best athlete they can be. We are all disabled in one way or another, Jim Abbott shows that anyone can accomplish anything if they put in the effort and stick to it no matter what.
on January 29, 2014
Read this because it was assigned to my daughter's class, and well, I will read just about anything.
I like reading and knowing about amazing people that had to endure struggles and became heroes to others, especially one that seems to be a genuinely good person, like Jim Abbott.
on June 15, 2013
I like this book! I was not disappointed in this well written book about Jim Abbott's life and major league career in baseball despite missing his right hand. Jim Abbott is candid and mature in his reflection of his life and career. Jim's perspective on his handicap is honest and inspiring. His story touched my heart because I am also "imperfect".
on March 9, 2014
This book is about much more than I expected. Jim Abbott is so much more than a guy who overcame long odds. I've read books by Catfish Hunter, Nolan Ryan, Satchel Page and Bo Jackson. This was the best of the bunch.