Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite uncharted Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 478 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 613 reviews
on February 22, 2017
This was a simple case of jury nullification which allowed a murderer to go free, but the bigger issue was the fact that the prosecution over reached in not only trying to make it a first degree murder charge but additionally a capital case. Had they charged her with 2nd degree murder I think they get a conviction by claiming that even if one were to concede the death might have been accidental it was still a murder that went unreported for 31 days.
on November 23, 2011
Reading the book was difficult because it made one almost live through the whole sordid mystery again. Writing this book was probably a cathartic exercise for Jeff Ashton--now he can get on with his life. The prosecution team definitely presented and should have won their well-laid-out case, so why did the verdict go so wrong? The jury was incapable of separating fiction from non-fiction and did not appropriately follow through with their assigned tasks; otherwise they would have found Casey Anthony guilty of something besides lying to the police--they certainly had enough choices to put her in prison where whe belongs.

My conclusion is that the placement of the table where the defense team and Casey Anthony sat was unusual. Throughout the whole trial they faced the jury; the jury watched Casey Anthony the whole time and became completely mesmerized by her. The prosecution team and Judge Perry should never have allowed this seating arrangement in the courtroom. When it came time for the appropriate review by the jury to reach the verdict, they were not smart enough to use common sense or to intelligently evaluate the evidence that was given by the prosecution and separate the truth from the entirely fictional case presented by Jose Baez.

Why did so many people become completely enthralled in this case? Because, as it unfolded, the mystery of what happened to the little girl was surrounded by lie after lie after lie and the public hoping to finally get to the truthful answers--which never came from Casey Anthony or her smarmy, slimey defense team lawyer. There were also many "if only" situations throughout--if only Cindy Anthony had not been in such deep denial and had admitted the truth; if only George Anthony had stood up more forcefully to his daughter and wife; if only Roy Kronk had been successful in August in forcing the police to investigate the remains he saw in the swamp; if only Casey Anthony had not continued to tell such whopping lies. The truth did not set Casey Anthony free, but the lies did.

Caylee Anthony is free from possibly becoming just like or maybe even worse than her mother. Caylee is the only member of that family who is now and forevermore at peace.
on January 28, 2012
Presented by the prosecuting attorney in decent prose,not inflammatory, reasonably calm, a blow by blow account of everyone's testimony,depositions, investigations.....if you are a fan of True Crimes or pyramid power, probably not for you.

Why did this woman kill her child? Because she is a sociopath. Don't believe this cute little cheerleader type is Hannibal Lector in a skirt? Then try "The believing brain" or "Why people believe weird stuff?". Better, read "The socipath next door" and spend a week working in animal rescue.

Why the "not guilty" verdict? Because people usually cannot reason logically and don't understand that beyond a reasonable doubt does NOT mean absolutely has to have happened this way. Jurors should have to take a basic test in logic.

And if you don't like what I have said, then go for another book on the subject -- like Caylee was the love child from Saturn and continues to exist and explore the galaxy. If there is one. Because you will not be swayed by the evidence presented here. Your emotions will not allow your brain to believe, just as the jurors did not believe. And you will feel cheated. For my part if I ever see this woman up close and personal I will turn and run as fast as I can. IN ANY OTHER DIRECTION.
on March 26, 2017
I was hooked on the case the first time I saw Cindy Anthony on Nancy Grace pleading for "information" about her missing granddaughter. From Nancy Grace's daily updates through the verdict I found it inconceivable that anyone other than Casey was involved in Caylee's death. My lawyer husband insisted from the get-go that there was not enough evidence for a conviction. Even now I still can't believe the truth about Caylee has never been revealed. Whatever shortcomings Jeff Ashton may have, his passion and commitment to finding justice for Caylee comes through in this book. It's a perfect, concise account of "Imperfect Justice."
on December 12, 2011
Review by Steven King, MBA, MEd

Sometimes, truth is a lot stranger than fiction. Do you remember where you were at 10 AM on October 3, 1995? I remember riding around with a co-worker awaiting the verdict of what was hailed as the "trial of the century"--the O.J. Simpson double-homicide murder trial. Had one been orbiting the planet when OJ was declared "not guilty," I am quite sure he would have seen the earth tremble a bit.

In spite of what seemed like obvious motive and plenty of culpable evidence - ultimately, OJ was acquitted of any criminality in the death of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and Ron Goldman, an aspiring model who happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. [As an aside, justice caught up to OJ Simpson in December 2008 when he was sentenced to 33 years in prison for armed robbery when he attempted to "reclaim" sports memorabilia at gunpoint.]

Jeff Ashton, who served as lead prosecutor against another famous murder suspect--Casey Anthony--has written a no-holds-barred account of the trial that shocked Florida in Imperfect Justice. In 2008, Casey Anthony was charged with the murder of her two-year-old daughter, Caylee. Although she had reported Caylee missing, Casey's lies and malfeasance depicted her as a mother who had grown tired of the responsibilities of raising a child. Instead, it appeared as if Casey Anthony wanted to be the consummate party girl...even emblazoning a tattoo on her back indicating "Bella Vita" (meaning "Beautiful Life") that she got weeks after Caylee died.

Ashton shares the prosecution's case in what should have been a slam-dunk conviction against Casey. In just under 24 hours of deliberation, however, the jury acquitted Casey of any criminal involvement in her daughter's death. The shock and outrage felt by the public was the fodder of all the news agencies covering the case. As Casey Anthony was whisked away under cover of darkness to a new life, there seemed to be very little justice for Caylee. Maybe the earth trembled once again as the verdict was announced in July 2011.

"Imperfect Justice" reminds the reader, in spite of not getting a guilty verdict, the greatest injustice was that a child was killed and discarded like common garbage. Ashton shares the journey made by investigators into the tremendous amounts of lies Casey told; the changing nature of Casey's parents, George and Cindy Anthony, and the problems their inconsistencies caused the prosecution; and his dissatisfaction with Jose Baez, lead defense attorney for Casey Anthony. A full color-spread in the middle of the book includes pictures of Casey partying, the car that smelled of death, and various shots of the Anthony's home.

Since Ashton postponed retirement for six months to finish this case, you have to put up with a little grandstanding and self-aggrandizement. Apparently, Ashton was one of the first attorneys to be involved with DNA forensics; and he styles himself as the quintessential science nerd. In spite of a little peacock press, after reading the details of the prosecution you will be shocked that Casey Anthony was found not guilty.

Rest in peace, Caylee Anthony, perhaps some day the balance of justice will ultimately vindicate your untimely death.
on April 17, 2013
Mr. Ashton, who last year was elected Orange county prosecutor, wrote an excellent recounting of the case that this retired lawyer enjoyed reading. It's too bad that the jury was not savvy enough to understand what inference (in regard to formaldehyde) is because Ms. Anthony should have been found guilty of first degree murder. She researched it on her computer - her mother tried to cover for her but was caught in a lie because she was at work when the computer search was done - and her mother smelled its odor when she opened the trunk of the car. There was no other rational conclusion (of who did it) from the testimony and the evidence that the jury could have reached. Mr. Baez's theory in his closing argument that the child drowned was so bizarre. Sure, Jose, that's the way we treat drowned children in our society, by placing duct tape over their mouth, stuffing them in a plastic garbage bag, and throwing them in a swamp off the side of a road.
on December 3, 2011
Ok. So I am only half-way through.. I will update when finished. But wow. I followed some of the trial, I knew some of the details of the book, but not all.. I really didn't know what happened. I thought perhaps maybe she drowned accidentally and Casey got scared... But nah...Her behavior is not that of a mother who's child has just accidentally drowned. I have no idea what happened, but most definitely, I believe, Casey did something. What? I don't know.

I really feel sorry for the Anthony family, and I just despise the haters. The Anthony's were clearly overwhelmed by their daughter's lying and cheating ways, and they found themselves in an impossible, heart-breaking situation. I feel sorry for George. He is innocent of all the dumb and baseless allegations. That pisses me off. I really like The Anthonys' and feel so, so bad for them. Cyndi is clearly in denial, and you know what? That's ok. Whatever her mind can process (since it's been shattered, that's ok). If she wants to rationalize that Casey had no involvement, it's ok. The mother has literally been to hell and back. Lost a daughter, a granddaughter, life torn apart, and if she wants to live in denial. So be it. Life is not an easy road, and she needs to get by somehow.

Oh, one more thing... I haven't gotten to any part yet about the jurors or any of that.. But, I will say this... I really think that the state over-charged. Perhaps if they did not go for the death penalty, the outcome may have been different. I don't know. But I would never, ever sit on a death penalty case. Ever. That is not for me to decide. Oh, and I think judge Strickland is a cool guy. I like him.

I really like Jeff Ashton too. Wow... I have been saying this for years.. These young kids today are out of control. Parents are too tired, too overwhelmed and not equipped with the tools to deal. Just reality today. Oh, and Florida is the worst of worst. For real.

Update: I am probably 20 pages from the end... Fell asleep. Here is an update: I agree with prosecution, premeditation, no doubts in my mind any longer. And like I said, the Anthony's were clearly overwhelmed and ill-equipped to deal with Casey and her lying. As such, if perhaps they did try and nip the lying in the butt earlier...perhaps 17, 18 years old, perhaps this would not have happened? I seriously doubt it, and the Anthony's have probably thought about that and they should not beat themselves up over it. I think Casey needed serious discipline and psychological counseling. I remain, kids today are out of control, and I am slowly passing the age where I could have a child, and I really, really do not regret not having children. Love my nieces, wanted kids more than any of my friends when I was young.. but too hard today to raise children IMO. Different world. Both parents have to work, are stressed, wages are lower. Kids need a lot, especially in today's world to lift them up to compete in today's global society. God, I could blather on...
on November 20, 2011
I have looked forward to the release of this book ever since i heard that Jeff Ashton was writing it. It did not disappoint. I started reading this book and could not put it down until I had finished it. He provided insights into the decisions made by the prosecution and the reasons behind those decisions. Part of the decisions result from the attempt to avoid an appeal. Little did i know how much of the practice of law involves trying to avoid reversal.
My husband attended some of the hearings before the trial. He had nothing but compliments about the prosecuting attorneys and their professionalism. I should also say that he very much shared Mr. Ashton's view of the defense team (especially Baez).
I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to read a truthful and accurate portrayal of the trial.
Contrary to one of the negative posts I read, I did not see any evidence of Mr. Ashton whining about this trial. On the contrary, I found his reporting unbiased except for the fact that he was totally biased in his quest to find justice for Cayley.
on February 24, 2017
Always keeping in mind who wrote the book, it did provide so much insight to a very sad moment in American crime history. I have to believe that Casey has created her own karma and will somehow pay the price for taking the life of her innocent child.
on November 21, 2011
I almost didn't buy this book but now I am really glad I did. The verdict in this case was so disappointing and I really didn't want to have to think about Casey again. But I still had a lot of questions so I decided to get the book and read through it a little. I very hesitantly started reading this book and quickly could not put it down. I was not only intrigued by the new details on the case that Jeff presents, but I loved reading things from his perspective. Jeff is an author I could very much relate to. Not only his views on the case but personally. His character is very charming and has depth. I didn't feel that he was trying to be misleading or please his reader. His words felt very real to me and his emotions really understandable.

Many people complain that Jeff "bashes" Jose Baez and tries to put the blames on others. I don't see it that way at all. Jeff certainly has a clear distain for Jose but for very valid reasons that he lays out. He also explains why he doesn't agree with the verdict. He does not just sit there like a baby and complain as some people seem to imply. His comments and ideas were developed, sometimes a little sarcastic and funny but these were the best parts.

The point is, if you want to read a completely unbiased report of Casey's case, don't read this book. If you want to read a personal, insightful, and compelling story about Casey's case from a very experienced and brilliant attorney that knows first hand every detail about this case, buy this book :)

My only wish was that his last chapter be a little longer. I enjoyed reading his thoughts on how he viewed the verdict from the jury and I wanted to read more of his ideas. I also really appreciated that in the end he had a good message for his readers. I hope he writes another book!