To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Impossible Paperback – August 11, 2009
|New from||Used from|
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
From School Library Journal
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
Top Customer Reviews
The target audience is ages 12 and up however I feel that some of the subject matter in the book would be unsuitable for children so young. Without revealing any spoilers the way Lucy becomes pregnant and the discussions of sex in the book seem more suited for someone at least 16 years or older.
I got through the book in one day however it seemed to drag on more than I expected. Lucy's character is well written but I just couldn't connect with the other characters surrounding her. The happily ever after ending was unbelievable and I feel that the completion of the three tasks could have been developed a whole lot more being that they were a major plot point in Lucy breaking free of the curse.
I'm not convinced that true fantasy readers will like this story. To me it was passable but I would have liked more fantasy elements to the story. The book is more romance or fiction addressing social issues than fantasy. If you're looking for a realistic fantasy with lots of magical elements then this book might not work for you.
Lucy Scarborough has been tormented by her mother's insanity for years. Lucy's foster parents, Soledad and Leo, take wonderful care of Lucy. In a way, they do for Lucy what they couldn't do for Lucy's mother, Miranda, when she came to them 17 and pregnant with no place to go. They took care of Miranda, but as soon as she gave birth to Lucy, she was lost in a world of her own madness. Lucy is so humiliated and saddened by her birth mother that she doesn't tell anyone her story, except Zach. Zach has stayed with her foster parents for years and is finally back on Christmas break from college. While Lucy has always trusted Zach with everything, she is starting to see him as more than just a family member.
When prom comes around, Zach helps convince the overprotective Soledad to let her go. Although he is jealous of the nerdy boy she is going with, he thinks it is important Lucy gets some normal fun in her life. Unfortunately, prom night is anything but normal or fun. After the dance, Lucy follows her date back into the ballroom where he forgot something. In the ballroom, he admits he didn't forget anything, but just wanted some time with her. Then he proceeds to rape her. Lucy tries to stop him, but something happens to his face as he hurts her- it seems to shift as though someone else is inside his body.Read more ›
There are other problems; pacing is one of them. If the book was a movie, 65% of it would be in montage format: The heroine making a shirt! The heroine is working out! The heroine is getting ready for prom! (The other 35% would be awkward dialogue.) I think the book would probably have made an excellent novella, but instead it is many interminable pages long.
I would also point out the afterschool special that is the teenage pregnancy resulting from rape in this book as problematic. (It's a spoiler, but then again, it's also a trigger warning - so for those of you who need one, please take note. It's the premise on which the entire book is based, so it's not really a spoiler.) The heroine struggles a little bit with this one, but she's totally okay by the end of the book. In fact, I'm not sure we ever see how she deals with it.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Bland , trite, and badly written. Even the villain was boring. The nonchalant treatment of rape turned my stomach. There was nothing to recommend this book.Published 13 months ago by ShannonS386
Inspired by the Medieval ballad, "Scarborough Fair," Impossible is a fantastical story about a rape, a family curse, a legacy of insanity, and a high school junior's pregnancy. Read morePublished 23 months ago by Liz W.