Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Plus  Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 21, 2013
Although I enjoyed learning about the journey each personality took to land at FAN, I wanted more than a bunch of radio personalities beaming about each other in print. Boomer and Carton never elaborate on who didn't believe in them, and mike and dog's rocky start is eliminated. It is frequently mentioned in the book that it's a dog eat dog business, but you would never know it by reading this book in which the personalities are only complimentary of each other. I also thought it was odd that there were so few opinions of others offered by Francesa. This could have been so much more
on January 14, 2014
I remember some one once calling me a "media freak" because I follow everything that's happening in the movies, tv and radio. Well, to me radio may be the most important because I spend a great amount of time paying attention to that genre. As a youngster, I was able to name every radio program on the AM dial that was on the air every morning from 6:00 to 10:00 and to this day I can discuss many television programs because I have always read TV Guide cover to cover, as for movies, I never leave the theatre until I read all the credits. With that as my background I was the reader of "Imus, Mike and the Mad Dog, & Doris From Rego Park." Most of the book was quite special to me, as someone who can earnestly listeni to WWHN's country music format for years before it morphed into WFAN. (I even recall listening when rock station WMGM became WWHN) I must admit I enjoyed this book a great deal. Imus is everything author Tim Sullivan says about him, a true radio icon in every sense of the word. As for Mike and the Mad Dog, they were thoroughly entertaining in their heyday with those clashing personalities. In addition to this, as one who over the years listened to WFAN for great lengths of time, I became quite interested in not only the hosts, but the update announcers, and the callers, the most interesting of all, of course, was "Doris From Rego Park." Even though as a listener of WFAN, I am quite familiar with how personalities such as Joe Benigno, Evan Roberts, and Steve Sommers got their starts, it was great to read about it again. For me the only part of the book I found lacking was my desire to learn more of the juicer potential material such as the Imus and Howard Stern relationship, Imus' hatred of Soupy Sales, Stern's departure from the station, more about "Eli From Westchester's" racism, "Mike and the Mad Dog's" feuds, etc. Sullivan even should have devoted an entire chapter on the Sid Rosenberg vs Bernard McGurk boxing match and how badly Rosenberg was beaten up. To sum up, "Imus, Mike and the Mad Dog, & Doris From Rego Park" is well worth reading, especially for fans of the station and it would have received that fifth star if it didn't leave me yearning for more. It was even a mystery that not a word was said about Erica Hershkowitz. In summary, this book is well worth reading!
on May 4, 2014
Tim Sullivan does a good job with the establishment of WFAN, the dream of broadcast executive Jeff Smulyan...and how much of it came from the failed Enterprise Sports Network and its head man John Chanin. I think he has nailed it with this book, but I would love to read more about the late Chanin and read more about Enterprise and some more from the people Chanin assembled for WFAN. Still, this is a great read with a good behind-the-scenes look at how Mike and the Mad Dog came to dominate, then split; the genius of Steve Somers "schmoozing S-P-O-R-T-S," the importance of Don Imus in the Morning and so much more. Thank you Tim Sullivan, may we have another?!
on June 1, 2014
I liked the book and considered the research and read of its presentation superb. This book gave me telling stories about the key WFAN radio personalities I knew. Tim Sullivan, the author, accomplished this in ways that enriched my views of all of them. I only have one wish that didn't come true. I wanted Mr. Sullivan to make mention of more (or even all) of the original voices, not just Jim Lampley and John Minko and Suzyn Waldman. For those of us who had listened in the first week and knew then that this format was a winner, why not let us read a short story or even just a mention of everyone who contributed that first week. My favorite original was the weekend guy; he gave the college football scores that first year. His name, the low key, one and only Lou Palmer. He was a classic! I think he loved Notre Dame and that's ok. For sure, he was never a New Yorker, but his charm worked in those days when the station was much more docile than it would become. One last thing I would like to mention. Thanks for bringing Mark Chernoff and to a smaller degree Eric Spitz to life. I would personally like to thank you for writing this wonder and them for creating it for you to write this gem.
on September 10, 2014
Long time listener (and never a "first time caller"). I don't go all the way back to the beginning, but I started listening in 1989. It was great hearing some of the snippets and behind the scenes details, but unfortunately, this book was very poorly put together. It was as if Tim Sullivan brought back a lot of great taped interviews that were transcribed, then lightly edited and strung together. Given my history with the station it was still fun to read, but it could've been so much better.

A book in a similar genre, was the Food Network book "From Scratch" which handled its material much better: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C5R83GO?btkr=1
on March 25, 2014
Being a New Yorker and a WFAN listener (I never called in), and knowing all of the names in the book, this book gave insight and, for me, a new, fresh understanding of how WFAN became the powerhouse it is now.

For years I wondered what had happened to "Vinny from Queens," the most knowledgeable Yankee fan caller I ever knew and, sadly, learned about his untimely passing from the book.

Any New York sports fan would find it a great read.
on September 8, 2017
I have been a fan of WFAN for 20 years. This book was very informative as to how the whole sports radio talk shows started.
on May 21, 2017
Excellent book!
on February 15, 2014
I enjoyed it...having spent some time working at WFAN, it was interesting reading. Kudos to the author,...it's a great book for fans and broadcasters alike
on January 21, 2014
if you are a fan of wfan, this book is for you! what a perfect way of transitioning from Mets to Yankees, the end of an era, just like mike & the mag dog, and i'll miss the mets and some of the on-air personalities referenced here and callers that have gone. but...put it in the books & into your kindle!