Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 STEM Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Shop Popular Services henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 394 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 584 reviews
on October 21, 2014
Not what I expected from this dark comedy at all. Thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. At times laughed out loud. Other times found myself dabbing tears from my eyes.

Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell make a perfect pair as hitmen in this crime caper about a hit gone horribly wrong. Ralph Fiennes is splendid as their gangster boss who banishes the guilt-ridden Farrell and his partner Gleeson to Bruges to await further instructions as a solution for the mess is sorted. Gleeson finds the city charming and makes an effort to make the most of the situation by sight seeing whilst Farrell is bored and irritable, until he lays eyes on a girl.

I won't reveal any more of the plot because it is at times tragic, touching, and funny with plenty of twists and turns along the way. Most of the cast has names and faces one won't recognize, but each performance is stellar. And Bruges Belgium makes a beautiful backdrop for this entertaining film that might find you rooting for bad guys who perhaps are not so bad after all.
on August 26, 2015
THE MOVIE:
If you're looking to buy it, chances are you've seen it. If you haven't, the tagline "Shoot first, sightsee later" is completely inaccurate. It's literally the other way around, being a dark comedy with very little shooting at all, mostly near the end besides a flashback. Ralph Fiennes' character doesn't show up until the last quarter of the film, and most of it takes place at night. Basically, the cover COMPLETELY contradicts the entire film. Don't judge a movie by its cover art.

That being said, it's an artfully-done dark comedy centering on two Irish hitmen who screwed up a job and are hiding in Bruges, Belgium until their boss Harry Waters (Ralph Fiennes of Schindler's List and Harry Potter fame) calls. While Ken (Brendan Gleeson; Edge of Tomorrow, Harry Potter) loves the well-preserved medieval village, Ray (Colin Farrell; Miami Vice, Total Recall remake) hates it, until he meets a beautiful girl who isn't quite what she seems and a dwarf actor he continually insults. The plot twists and turns and you'll find yourself laughing hysterically, hating yourself for finding insensitive jokes funny, and crying within the span of a few minutes, while marvelling at the photography.

THE DISC
This review is for the Blu-RAY (See what I did there? Ray? Get it? Like the charac- never mind). I put the film into my Xbox One, which was connected to the internet. It had to download several online features, WITHOUT prompting me, and took several minutes before I could start up the film. A minor annoyance I was willing to put up with to watch my favorite film in high definition. It's almost TOO high. In darker scenes, I could easily see individual silver hallide crystals from the film it was shot on, which happens very often, especially in films shot primarily in the dark. This didn't bother me, and even made the movie a more authentic experience. What DID bother me was the opening shots. As they were slowed down, the film grain became more noticeable, as each frame was up for about three times longer than shots with movement. I can't quite explain this effectively. I don't have a good audio setup, but I definitely didn't notice a BAD difference between my DVD and Blu-ray. If there is one, I'm not qualified enough to review it.

As expected, the film looked great in high-definition, and was well worth re-buying. Unlike Bruges, this disc is NOT a $h!thole.
on August 13, 2012
Quite frankly, In Bruges is a well done film. It took me a little while to process it, but it really does leave an impact. I had to rewatch it a couple of times as well, just to fully grasp it and appreciate its subtlety. The acting is phenominal. Colin Farrell was surprisingly great. He has never made me laugh much at all, but he was pretty funny in this film. Brendan Gleeson was phenominal as always. He may just be my favorite actor that isn't a household name. A few years ago, prior to seeing this and then going on to recognizing him in many more films afterwards, I only knew him as that weird professor from The Order of the Phoenix. But he has certainly moved up my list with each subsequent film I see him in. Ralph Fiennes had a fairly short amount of screen time, but he made the most of it. Very menacing, and dare I say ordinary villain. Not to mention, he delivered the film's absolute best line. Without going into detail, it's about inanimate objects.

The performances absolutely make this movie, but there are many other good feats to mention. The script was very well written. It's not exactly a laugh out loud comedy, but there are some tongue in cheek moments that made me pause, smile, then after processing what I had heard, or seen, bust out with laughter. This is dark comedy at its best. It really is funny. That doesn't take away from the dramatic elements at all though. It does get very dramatic. The worst part is that you don't even expect to get hit with an emotional scene directly after a funny one. It's a great combination. I did like it a lot, but it's not something I'd recommend for everyone. I'm not sure if I'd call it polarizing, but it's the definition of "see it for yourself, and you be the judge." Obviously, there are better dark comedies out there. This movie actually has a bit of a Coen Brother feel to it, which is always a major compliment, at least to me. In fact, quite a few of their films are the better dark comedies I was referring to.

I had a little trouble getting past some of the music choices. I think the composer and music supervisor could have done better jobs. That said, I got past the music pretty quickly once the characters and story itself sucked me in. I also think there are definitely questionable moments. Therefore, a little suspension of disbelief is required. In other words, you can't be one of those nitpicking people who know how to ruin the experience and immersion. Despite my complaints, the good very much outweighs the bad. There are plenty of redeeming qualities. I think this is still a movie that everyone should see. It's well worth the time, and money (if you have to spend it). I highly recommend In Bruges.
I loved this movie. It touched me in all the rigt places. It is dark, poignant, and has a wonderful comic bent to it.

Colin Farrell and his buddy, Bendan Gleeson, are hitmen, sent to Bruges after Farrell accidentally kills a little boy while doing a hit. His boss, Ralph Fiennes, plays an out of character role in this movie; boss of the hitmen who wants to kill Farrell for shooting the child.

Ironically, Farrell feels so badly about killing a child that he wants to take his own life. He has lost the will to live. Fiennes has sent him to Bruges so that he can see a beautiful place before he dies but Farrell hates Bruges. In Farrell's words: "A great day this has turned out to be. I'm suicidal, me gun gets nicked, and we're still in f....k'n Bruges.

Colin plays his part to perfection: a naive, unsophisticated hitman with a good heart. The other actors are also top notch.

I recommend this movie unreservedly.
on March 13, 2017
One of the best dark comedies ever! My son, who is now 18, and I first watched this movie about eight years ago. After watching it, he stated that he would like to visit Bruges one day because it looked beautiful. Well, because of this insanely wonderful movie, my son and I leave in three weeks for Bruges! I can't recommend this movie enough.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 24, 2014
This is one of those odd films filled with anti-heroes. The good guys are bad guys. All of them. And yet this dark comedy has you rooting for them all, or at the very least, you find yourself understanding the motives and actions of all sides...even though most or all of those sides are at odds one with the other. Cinematography, setting, music, acting, story lines are all outstanding. Be aware that the opening dialogues and narration are filled with the same profanity over and over, to the point where you are almost ready to turn it off; it just comes off as poor scriptwriting. But don't turn it off! It gets better, and the "extras" on the DVD show us that the writers can even laugh at themselves: one of the extras is a long running clip of all of the profanities stitched together. They knew they were being over-the-top! Bottom line, as a dark comedy it delivers: it's a great, fun film - in a very depressing way.
on April 13, 2017
This movie will make you want to visit Bruges - what beautiful scenery! The acting is fantastic - Farrell, Gleeson, and Fiennes are all spot-on. Fiennes, especially, plays a great sociopath!
on September 28, 2016
I remember awards season when In Bruges came out. I had never seen the movie, or known how to pronounce "Bruges." I remember it being up for several awards, and winning at least one, so I thought it must be some stuffy, serious thing. I watched it on Netflix when I was bored one night, expecting that stuffy, serious film. I was so surprised by the humor. Then I realized it was Martin McDonagh, and it all made sense.

It's the perfect mix of funny and dark and touching. The actors are excellent -- Colin Farrell particularly surprised me. I never looked at him the same after he played Bullseye, but this role was perfect for him. As soon as I saw it, I started telling everyone I know to watch it. It's now one of my favorites.
VINE VOICEon August 26, 2008
Two hit men, Ray (Colin Farrell) and Ken (Brendan Gleeson) are on a sort of makeshift holiday in Bruges, Belgium after a hit gone wrong. While awaiting word from their boss, Harry (Ralph Fiennes), Ken is interested in sightseeing and the history of the place, while Ray couldn't be more unimpressed and can't wait to escape.

After hearing so many wonderful things about this film I was absolutely prepared to be let down. Movies rarely live up to the hype for me, but I am happy to say this one did and then some.

In Bruges had me laughing out loud, hard and repeatedly, as the political incorrectness and the way Ray and Ken play off each other is hilarious. It had me sobbing big ugly girly tears as the emotion that pours from Ray, his guilt, his sadness, is absolutely palpable and heartbreaking. This movie had me gasping at the violence, on the edge of my seat and on an emotional roller coaster from one minute to the next. It was great.

The performances are grand by all three main characters and the supporting cast lends equally wonderful and interesting performances. I found this to be a multi-dimensional and complex film filled with irony, humor, action and sadness. I was really stunned at the power behind Colin Farrell's performance. He goes from a sort of spazzy, funny, slightly inept and combustible sidekick to a sensitive, deeply tortured soul in about 2 seconds and every facet of his character is believable and brilliant.

In Bruges is one of those quotable films with a billion awesome one-liners and moments. This is easily one of my favorite movies this year and definitely upon my list of all time favorites. I loved every fricken minute of it.

5+ stars

Cherise Everhard, August 2008
1919 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2017