Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Assassins Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

86%
14%
Format: Hardcover|Change
Price:$6.20+ $4.29 shipping

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 7 reviews
on September 28, 2011
I think I have probably read "To Kill a Mockingbird" at least thirty times, starting back when it was first published fifty-one years ago. I currently teach, part time, at a local college. And this is the novel I use to show students what absolutely brilliant writing really is.
But I had not heard about Loretta Ellsworth's "In Search of Mockingbird" until another Harper Lee fan told me about it.
It is a small book, one I read in about two hours, mostly because I couldn't put it down.
Except for the very beginning and the very ending of the novel, everything occurs in Greyhound buses, starting in Minnesota and ending in the most famous bus terminal in the South, Montgomery, Alabama, made infamous by what happened to the freedom riders in 1963.
Erin is sixteen. Her mother died when she was a baby. And for her birthday her father has given her her mother's diary, one in which much is said about how much her mother loved "To Kill a Mockingbird." As does Erin. It is her favorite book of all. Mine too I think.
And Erin learns her mother wanted to be a writer as does Erin.
So she decides to run away, to use money given to her for her birthday, to get to meet Harper Lee. And wait until you see the oh-so-perfect event that happens at the end of this journey.
I won't tell you much more except that you will meet some wonderful bus riders, not the least of which is Sedushia. Yes, S-E-D-U-S-H-I-A.
The novel is a first person account by Erin of the adventure including lovely little diary entries that come at the beginning of each chapter.
For anyone who loves the Harper Lee classic, this is just a must read. It really is.
on May 13, 2007
Although the School Library Journal suggests grade level 7-10, I would recommend this book for any age, even us older folks.

Ellsworth's style and skills make this a Store Favorite in my shop. It made me go back and reread To Kill A Mockingbird with a new perspective.

Highly recommended!