Customer Reviews: In the Square
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Halloween Candy Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon pbskids pbskids pbskids  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Cycling on Amazon

Format: Audio CD|Change

I bought Live in the Square at a solo Patty Larkin performance at the (now long gone) Old Vienna Coffee House in Westborough, MA. An excellent up-close intimate venue. I was close enough I might have been able to touch her guitar if we both leaned forward. A most remarkable concert.

She has impressive guitar skills and it was around this time I heard she had studied guitar with Richard Thompson (Across a Crowded Room) who had already impressed me. This eclectic mix of original works and a cover all carries a certain joy, hope, energy and sadness which make her performances so recognizable.

On this album her rendition of The Letter, I'm White and The Mall have me tapping my toes. Ruby, The Last Leviathan and Metal Drums make me feel their pain. The rest of the music brings it's own feelings from me. The point is nothing leaves me feeling flat.

One thing I appreciate is the spoken intro tracks. Both their content and they are separate from the associated tracks.

Finally, I have to give her credit for a credible Ethel Merman and Marlene Dietrich imitation.

I hope this helps someone.
on May 19, 2009
There's something about the intimacy of a live performance that can either destroy it or make it extraordinary. This is on the extraordinary side. When someone writes and sings like this it only gets better live. If you don't know Patty Larkin, I recommend that you buy everything she's ever done, and then set aside a day to listen to it. You can start anywhere with her music - there is no one "best" CD.
on May 26, 2013
Many new songs not heard on Patty's other albums. A good composite album recorded live. Just not as sharp and lively as A GOGO, but smooth and easy to listen to.
on December 23, 2014