Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 135 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 188 reviews
on February 22, 2015
Dr Youn tells a story of a young man who struggled, persevered, found his passion and achieved his goals. I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and it proved to be as inspiring as I had anticipated. What I didn't expect was how completely honest, funny and emotional that it was. It had me laughing out loud, and it rendered me to tears at times. His attention to detail gave me a greater sense of his experience. His candor helped me to truly appreciate his struggles, and his self-deprecating humor made it highly entertaining.
A self proclaimed "awkward" Korean boy trying to fit in in a small primarily white town, Dr Youn chronicled his journey through various challenges, resulting in a favorable ending. It was a heartfelt and inspiring account of how he evolved through the years, and overcame various obstacles. I was fascinated at the metamorphosis that took place. He transformed himself from a self conscious "science nerd" who aspired to become an accomplished physician (AND successful with the ladies,) into to the incredibly charismatic, and skilled surgeon that he is today. Duckling to swan if you will...
We can all relate to feeling like an outcast, a misfit at times. I admire the tenacity it takes to get right back up after a fall and to just keep swinging. Such an invaluable lesson for everyone, but for young people in particular who maybe in the midst of their own struggles
This book also provides an excellent insight into what medical school entails and the impact that it can have on ones social life. Sacrifices must be made, but the lesson is to never ever give up, in spite of any setbacks....This will serve you well in the end. Anyone thinking about a career in medicine should read this book.
To see him today it's is hard to believe that he ever struggled
I had the great pleasure of meeting and being treated by Dr Youn. I can say that in addition to being a skilled and compassionate surgeon, he is extremely refined and confident in just the right way. In the end, his perseverance resulted in a successful career and a beautiful family . Yes, a success story indeed.
on November 11, 2015
I had seen Dr. Youn being interviewed on a popular TV show and was instantly interested in reading it. Dr. Youn's new title, "In Stitches " was a pleasant departure from the standard fare of Doctors who solely promote their practice, potion or pills. I've never been a patient of Dr. Youn, but would love to be at some time. I would imagine his bedside manner is great based on his evident sense of humor that is present throughout in "In Stitches". Particularly entertaining was the chapter about his jaw. The obviously self conscious teen not only overcame his physical hurdle, but turned it into a practice where he helps others improve their appearance. It's a relatively short book and worthy of the numerous glowing reviews. I can confidently recommend In Stitches.
on June 15, 2013
I bought this book thinking it would be hilarious because that's what previous reviews said. I laughed once, but maybe it didn't appeal to my "black" sense of humour. It was, however, a terrific read. Dr Youn writes easy to read pages that just zip along. It did, however, make me cry. There is one section that will stay with me, probably for a very long time. The baby and the raccoon, and the moment of incredible tenderness he witnessed from a plastic surgeon. It made me realise what doctors see, what they have to try and fix and the incredibly idiotic people (the mother) that they have to tolerate. Kudos to Dr Youn for including that encounter in the book, and Kudos to the plastic surgeon it was written about for allowing it to be re-told and for being an incredible human being.
on November 19, 2015
I accidentally stumbled upon this book, took a "look inside", and bought it because it was on sale for 99 cents-for Kindle App.
It was actually a really good book. It was quite funny, cute, entertaining & heartwarming. I enjoyed learning about Youn's father, who encouraged and demanded success, and I loved when he talked about his mother's soup! A glimpse into Korean culture. His father may have been tough on him, but it clearly paid off because Youn is now one of the top plastic surgeons in the country.
After I finished the book, I Googled Youn and found a lot about him, including several interviews he gave, which I really enjoyed watching.
I definitely recommend this book.
on March 19, 2017
I am a mother-in-law to two doctors (my son-in-law is Korean and my daughter-in-law is Indian). As I watched as these young people navigate the gauntlet of training to be highly educated and finely skilled surgeons, I gained a new appreciation for what it takes to be a physician....inside and out. Dr. Youn's story mirrors my "kids'" experiences including the Michigan State Owen Hall story. Oh my gosh, that could have been told by my son-in-law. The book is well written, funny, and illustrates both the intellectual and emotional growth Dr. Youn experienced during his years of training. Bonus for sharing the evolution of his relationship with his parents and brother. Anyone thinking of going to med school, any physician, and any family member of a physician would enjoy this book.
on November 21, 2015
This book made me experience all my emotions. I cried, I laughed, I became angry then overjoyed and each feeling I never want to take back. I just got accepted into medical school and recently have been getting anxious to start. This book gave an actual account of medical school that I would always hint to doctors for during my shadowing experience but never seemed to have an accurate description. Yes medical school will be hard and it sounded like it was hard for Dr.Youn but the experiences he undergone made it all worth it. Thank you for writing such an inspirational book!
on January 31, 2012
I've read ALL the medical memoirs - Atul Gawande's, Another Day In the Frontal Lobe, Weekends @ Bellevue --- you name it. And this was by far my favorite in recent memory. Dr. Youn is hilarious and his wry, sarcastic humor leaps off the page. His perspective on medical school and on his demanding Asian parents was so honest and his observations stuck with me for days. He's obviously an extremely caring person, but also doesn't hesitate to reveal some of his inner thoughts, including that he originally went to medical school....for the girls. I really really enjoyed this book - I recommend it to anyone who wants a laugh and an interesting story.
on July 16, 2013
Medical memoirs are among my favorite books. I learn more about medicine and gain insight into the minds of those who save lives and improve quality of care.
Dr Youn is a funny and emotionally honest man. He discusses his early life and his parents demanding ways through post medical school. This is a laugh out loud book which is an easy, quick read and small enough to carry with you on a plane - like I did. His honesty shows us how emotional and open Physicians are capable of being despite the fact we don't always see these qualities.
A friend of mine saw how much I enjoyed this book and asked me for it so I gave it to her. She is enjoying it as well. A definite 5 star book. I expect others to enjoy it as much as I did.
on January 19, 2015
Why Tony wants to be a doctor is obvious to the reader, but not as clear to him as he suffers the angst of parental pressure, blinding sexual frustration and racial prejudice. Luckily, Tony handles his years of frustration with self-deprecating wit and humorously astute descriptions of his antagonists. This makes you smile often and whiz through the pages. Tony might be exhausted, but you are invigorated as you root for him to prevail. This is a feel good story on a number of levels, particularly in knowing Tony is now out there performing the job he was meant to do.
on July 10, 2016
I am a picky reader, normally the books I find that I like are funny memoirs, such as the ones written by Jenny Lawson or Mindy Kaling. The witty humor reminds me a bit of theirs. Throughout the book I laughed out loud at this smart remarks and the way he can weave these hilarious stories of his. Some parts I read out loud to my friends who thought it was great and just as funny! It was so good I read the entire book in one sitting yesterday afternoon. Heart warming, wonderful, hilarious, witty, informative, and a few times.... heart breaking. I would highly recommend this to any one I know! Buy it, you wont regret it!