BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Pacific Cycle InStep Take 2 Double Bicycle Trailer,Light Blue/Gray
Color: Light Blue/Gray|Style: Trailer|Change

on September 26, 2016
We love this! Took it on two vacations & use weekly on trails at home. A bonus, when your 3 yr old gets tired from riding, you can strap him next to your 1 yr old & put his bike in the rear cargo area. '
review image review image review image
0Comment| 124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 11, 2011
Yes, "for the price". As with all my reviews, I want to qualify "what it is" vs. "what it isn't" so that potential buyers can put it in a frame of reference.

What it is:
Cheap, incredibly easy to assemble, solidly made. It'll last for a couple of years - enough for 2 or 3 kids to go on semi-regular bike rides. It's comfortable for one 3-year-old or two smaller kids.

What it's not:
Not made of heavy canvas or burlap, not going to last as a hand-me-down for three, five, ten families to use, not good for applications other than pavement, gravel or smooth packed earth. With the super-simplified hub assembly and plastic wheels, it's not likely to last you a million miles.

Impressions:
The wheels "snap in" to the hub assembly so there's no magic to this; there's no solid axle, no suspension, just two greased necks that slide in, 'lock in' to metal apertures, and that's it. The axle 'nub' is metal; but it's not going to have heavy wheel bearings. It assembles unbelievably easily, so while I am a fairly mechanically inclined person and work on my own cars, plumbing and HVAC, I was impressed how simple this would be for a non-mechanically-inclined person to assemble.

I've taken about half a dozen rides with my 3-year-old son seated in the center in the back. Every time I make a 2-mile loop around the lake in the near-by city park, I get two to four comments/compliments from joggers with kids in strollers, other bikers, etc. One guy on a bike paced me and said that the trailer looked great and asked all about it - where I got it, how much it cost, how well it works. It's not cheap junk, so you can put that out of your mind. For $80 it's a steal; I paid about $20 more and that was easily worth it.

However, the seating and sides are all plastic or polyester. Heavier kids will 'ride low' so if you go over rapid bumps or high roots, things you wouldn't really notice on a bike with 26" wheels, the kids could bump their bottoms. My son fits fine by himself, but when my daughter turns 1, it might be a bit of a squeeze to get a 1 year old and a 3 year old in there together. Realistically, I'm not sure I'd want to be dragging around something that's roomy for 2 kids anyway.

Finally, based on the mechanical construction, I would surmise that this one is good for occasional rides for 2-3 families with 2-3 kids. At most. That depends, too, on how big the kids are that you're carrying around, and how the trailer is stored (outside vs. in a garage). I guess that means, I wouldn't really expect to get any more than 1000 miles out of it, maybe double that if the rides are primarily with smaller kids, over smoother surfaces, and the trailer is stored in a garage.

Maybe I'm wrong. Who knows. My kids will probably retire before I actually accumulate 1,000 miles on my bike so... take it for what it's worth. Maybe this super-simplistic hub assembly will last longer than my old cars. :)
22 comments| 773 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Enthusiast: Cookingon September 13, 2015
I'm a mother to 4. I put this together in less than 5 minutes with "help" from the younger 2. It took about 10 minutes to attach to my bike. Piece of cake.

While pulling this one of the wheels went off the curb. I almost panicked, but as soon as I noticed, it actually hopped back up the curb. I actually did it twice in a row. Oops! I stopped to check on things and the rim was scratched but that's it! Not bent, wheel didn't pop! I wouldn't recommend doing it on purpose, but it's still rolling beautifully.

With 80lbs total (my older 2) it takes a bit of effort to get up a hill, but at 5 and 7 years old they can ride they're own bikes while the 1 and 3 year old can have a nice ride. I'm not a strong biker, but I love this. You can still turn pretty tight.

It has some trunk space, so I threw the diaper bag in the back and did a few local errands. Saves stopping and starting the car. Buckles one or two kids. Will push you down a hill a bit, but because it has two wheels and a flexible arm attachment, it doesn't try to tip you over like the seat post pull behind bikes. (Kids don't help peddle like you might think, but they do lean to the side a lot;) I felt very safe with my kids in this. They loved it!
on June 26, 2017
We love the trailer! it fits our 25lb child great, rolls easily, was easy to put together. It's not going to carry 400lb of rocks, but seems like 1-2 kids should be great.

BUT MAKE SURE YOU BUY THE CORRECT COUPLING IF PURCHASING AN EXTRA!!!

Apparently there is a new version, and after some date, the coupling mechanism is different. Make sure to purchase this one

New InStep & Schwinn Bicycle Bike Trailer Coupler Angled Elbow (SA075)

or you will be out of luck (like me). This is the new version
on May 14, 2017
So much better than a child's seat on the back of the bike! If the floor was of a sturdier material (it's basically made of the same material as the sides & top), I would have given it 5 stars! Also love the fact that it seats 2 so it can accommodate a growing family! It also folds up for easy storage.
on August 5, 2016
I'll keep this short and simple by listing what I like about this bike trailer, what I don't, and who would enjoy this.

LIKE:
-it was only $85!
-it folds down flat (the footprint is about 2'x2', but it's only about 4"-5" thick once the wheels are taken off and it is folded flat)
-the wheels are extremely easy to take off and put back on
-simple, easy assembly (it took me about 15-20 minutes from box to ready-to-use and installed)
-stretchy fasteners help keep rain shield and other vents open if desired
-there are multiple options for the comfort of the child to keep the inside of the trailer warm, vented, etc. depending on how the cover is secured
-it is safe (my bike fell over and the trailer remained unaffected), and features an additional strap in case the main connector failed somehow
-it is simple, there isn't much "fuss" with too many useless straps, etc.
-this can accommodate 2 children, or 1 in the center seating position, and they were smart enough to design it so the harness can be buckled in the center of the trailer, or with 2 on each side
-plenty of storage in the back of the trailer
-my child loved riding with us for over an hour (and he's ALWAYS on the move, he doesn't like to sit still unless the scenery is changing)
-it was only $85!

DISLIKED (there aren't too many):
-the safety flag that sticks up on the back of this fell out while I was biking with it the first time so I just left it off (I don't really care, but it should work anyway)
-the stuff you store in the back could slide underneath the child because there is no divider (it's a small thing, but I thought it could be a minor nuisance)
-The only REAL fuss I have is that the metal attachment that connects to the bike didn't fit on my Cannondale CAAD 10 road bike so I had to grind it down. I understand they had to design it to fit on most bikes, but a list of the bikes it won't fit on could be an option.

Who should use this: Parents. Parents who want to spend time with their kids outside.

Overall: I hard to think critically to find anything wrong with this bike trailer. I would have been happy to give it 4 stars, but I love it too much to give it less than 5. So what if I had to grind down the metal attachment? It was only $85! I'm glad I purchased mine. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. This is a deal of an item.
on May 11, 2016
This is the second InStep trailer we have purchased, the other one a single model. Setup was easy and fast. The double model is very wide, easily fits a 1 year old and a 4 year old. The seat is pretty basic, the lack of suspension makes rides a little rough when you hit the bumps, but at this price range we love these. Sure like others point out, debris from the bike tire could kick up onto the trailer, but I'm not sure minus fully covering up the front how you avoid that on any trailer. Easy to pull behind a mountain bike, solid construction. Would purchase again.
on February 12, 2017
Its a great trailer, but the information reported is incorrect, it says "Coupler attaches to almost any bicycle; includes stroller kit with swiveling front wheel and handlebar" but the stroller kit doesnt come with it.

also the quality is good but doesnt look too duarable . i put my twin daugthers in, both weigh around 35 lbs, and they seemed to be uncomfortable.

great for the price
easiest to assemble , disassemble , store in the garage like any other strollers it takes very less space because it can fold easily

over all fun and great if you still have smaller kids.
i will end up returning it
on March 14, 2016
My baby loves it easy set up love that it folds away for storage and u can take off the wheels and there easy to place Again
review image review image
on June 22, 2017
I would highly recommend this to any family. We go to yoursamadhiandcampingtripsandthishasbeenalifesaver.we attach it to the bikes and head out. Not only does it hold our child but it has a nice storage section in the back-and so we are able to fit a lot of things with us including a small cooler and a backpack. Even if you do not have a child this is still awesome to carry all your stuff with you

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.