Libros en Español STEM nav_sap_plcc_acash Amazon Music Unlimited Grocery outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels South Park

on July 29, 2015
I had great hopes for this book, based on the description. What could be better than to introduce Coach Wooden's pyramid of principles to my grandchildren (5 and 7 years old).
I sat down as soon as it arrived, to read through ahead of bringing it to their house (I always like to be sure before sitting down with them to read). Honestly, I was completely lost by the end of the second page. It makes no sense! The "story line" (and I use the term very loosely) is incomprehensible to me; I can only imagine how bored a child would be. The book is horrible, to be blunt.
If you are familiar with the pyramid of success -- you will see that the larger concepts are presented in the book -- but in a way that is so very dull from what I imagine a child's perspective to be (of course I wouldn't expect it to be interesting from an adult perspective).
I will not be bringing the book to my visit with grandchildren tomorrow (why punish them?) -- I thought about donating it to Goodwill -- but that just seems to me a mean and dismissive thing to do (why should a useless castoff be presented as anything good, just because someone can afford less?). SO into the garbage it goes.
on August 14, 2017
Great book that easily goes along with growth mindset. The "Pyramid of Success" will make a great bulletin board for my classroom this year. It's a long book, but I plan to read it over several days.
on December 31, 2012
Coach John Wooden's book, "INCH and MILES: The Journey to Success," is an incredibly valuable story that provides children and adults with the attributes necessary to succeed in life.

The book begins with their teacher, Mr. Wooden, giving them one final assignment before summer vacation begins. Mr. Wooden has written on the blackboard, "WHAT IS SUCCESS?" and it's Inch and Miles' job to go out and find the answer?

Coach Wooden writes, "Success isn't having trophies or toys. It isn't a medal or friends of your choice. What is Success? That's easy to see. It's trying to be the best you can be!"

Having this information, the boys now go on a journey with only a special silver whistle and instructions that they will find special friends along the way that are good teachers. It's their job to ask these special friends to give them clues that will help them build Wooden's "Pyramid of Success."

The authors "Pyramid of Success" is made up on fifteen attributes that all children should be familiar with and try to practice on a daily basis.

The obvious lesson for children are the attributes but another valuable lesson is the importance of understanding that others are here to help us. The children meet fourteen special friends/teachers that all give them valuable information - once they ask for it. With this information, the kids are able to build the Pyramid.

Ultimately, the story concludes with the children going on their summer vacation with the knowledge to succeed in life.

"INCH and MILES: The Journey to Success" is a gem and a must for your children's bookshelf!
on July 19, 2016
Your students and child will really enjoy this book. Give them an inch (of this character education and life skills story) and they'll take it miles and miles. It is a great, relatable story with amazing artwork and strong leadership connections. It is a must add for everyone's collection, give them more of what's been missing (character education, leadership skills, etc) with this story that also lends itself to some fun and creative teachable moments and activities.
on July 21, 2017
I read this book to a 5th grade class i was subbing in and they loved the character traits. I was surprised that this age responded so positively to the book. It would work great with younger kids, too.
on April 12, 2017
I love this book!
on March 16, 2017
The illustrations are charming and the story is fun as well as a wonderful learning experience!
on April 11, 2015
Started reading this book in class to my students during March Madness. I only read ONE page a day. It drove them crazy. But, they couldn't get enough of it! I taped an empty pyramid on the wall two weeks before I started reading the book. They looked at that empty pyramid every day. Once I started reading the book, I filled in the pyramid one block at a time. We finished reading the book as the NCAA tournaments were coming to an end. Great book for all ages!
on July 14, 2014
My grandsons, ages nine and 11, found this book so absorbing that they wanted to discuss the contents after each chapter. I also bought Inches and Miles:The Journey to Success for my 10 year old godson. The messages from one of the great basketball coaches of all time, are not just about success in sports competition, they are lessons for an entire lifetime. Gently taught, with humor and charming illustrations, this book is a learning experience and a joy to read at any age.
on May 19, 2016
If it was written my John Wooden...nothing else needs to be said. And, what better way to start your youngster off on the right side of the brain with little words of wisdom to carry he or she on throughout their life!