Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite uncharted Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 19 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 28 reviews
on December 2, 2014
I bought this book a year ago, and read it at the same time I read "Get Rich with Dividends" by Marc Lichtenfeld. I have not read anything that impacted my life so much since I read David Allen's "Getting Things Done" in the 1990s - and that book saved my sanity (if not my job)

Richard's book begins with the reasons to invest for income rather than capital gains. If I ran across this concept before, it did not click. This book made a compelling argument for me, including such things as dividends paid are real (income and other items reported may not be - for a number of reasons), cash kept by a company rather than paid as dividends can easily be misused (HP's recent purchase of Autonomy comes to mind), the compounding power of reinvested dividends - even (or maybe especially) when the price of the company paying the dividends is depressed, and his statement that even if I had found Microsoft or Walmart at the right time, I would have sold long before they made me rich. There's more, but you get the idea.

I have read a few other books that are based on dividends being real (or not lying or whatever), but this book and Marc's book mentioned above are the ones that I have found that advocate choosing a good income paying security, then holding on through good times and bad as long as the payments are received, which results in compounding of income. The others use dividend payments in their valuation process, but advise selling if a security is determined to be overvalued - which is not something I was all that good at figuring out anyway.

This book makes a number of suggestions of specific ETFs and other investments, though it never really lays out how to find a good, dividend paying investment yourself other than diversification and low expenses. The author considers individual stocks too risky, though the examples of magic compounding he gives come from individual stocks. I understand his perspective, though I do not really share it. Finding good, dividend-paying investments is the basis of Marc's book listed above.

I still pay attention to business news (I am a CPA, though I do taxes - it is the way I am wired), but I no longer fear the market downturn. As long as I select well initially, more dividend paying shares are being added to my holdings even if the market is down.. I no longer fear being fooled by the randomness or decimated by the black swan of Nicholas Taleb (whose books I also highly recommend). I find stocks that have paid stable or increasing dividends for the last 25+ years and let them go. I remember 1987 (vaguely), the 2000 or 2001 tech bubble, and the 2008 mortgage crisis. I never had a strategy to deal with them - now I do.

To be fair to myself, investing this way was not really possible for me in the past. When I saved for retirement through my plan at work, I was given a very few mutual funds to choose from and only allowed to change my investments once or twice a year (to teach me the value of investing I was told). But with discount brokers willing to reinvest dividends without charge, and with more liberal employer plans, I can do it now.

I still have some funds that I use to try other ideas (trading or whatever), but most of my money is in stocks which have paid a stable, if not increasing, dividend for years. It is going to stay that way.
on March 24, 2017
Just another slick white snake-oil salesman trying to get rich off your purchase. Complete drivel. You'd do much better researching the topic on your broker's website... or google even.
on September 3, 2015
A third of the way through it and all I have learned is that he likes dividends. How many ways can he repeat himself?
on October 23, 2014
This was an interesting book. The writer's style was somewhat unusual. Some chapters were mostly a collection of one or two line thoughts about the subject of that chapter. The writer seems to draw mostly on his experience with various income investments. There is a lot of practical advice in the book and I would recommend it is a thought provoking guide for someone looking for more information about income investing.
on April 21, 2013
The idea of learning about income investing is good, but the book is written on a grammar school level. Does a good but extended review of basic income options. It indicates it does not matter when the investment is bought as the intent is never to sell. The problem with this is that it ignores the fact that if you buy at 2x the price you will have 1/2 the amount of the investment and therefore 1/2 of the income. So, it still matters what we pay for it, and need to learn how to buy low.
on January 10, 2013
This stuff should be taught in schools. With the sad state of some of the results we see in our public school systems, learning how to acquire a nest egg for the future would be very profitable for kids. This book is excellent. (yes, kids can learn from this book) in helping them do that. Young marrieds and middle agers also. Really opened my eyes.
on November 3, 2015
Some good advice but very simplistic and in some manners dangerously wrong. The notion that doing research is waste of time in absurd. People often spend many weeks researching the purchase of a home and car, but should give little thought to the investment of their life savings? Book pays essentially no attention to the most fundamental issue in income investing – making sure that the dividend or coupon will be maintained. Even super blue-chip GE, a then dividend aristocrat, cut its dividend in 2009 by 2/3.
Rules about income investing are different in a rising interest rate environment such as were are in now. Yes, buying and holding a low interest rate bond is safe if you hold to maturity (assuming you get paid back), there is a cost of if forgone greater income and real risk of falling behind inflation.
Also downplaying the importance of capital gains, when many corporations are using excess cash to buyback shares to increase share prices rather than pay dividends. When 3% dividends are considered very good now; how does one generate income and keep your portfolio ahead of inflation? Personally, I want to buy the stocks of companies that pay a reliable dividend and will also increase in value over time. Also some of investment advice – e.g., MLPs, are in fact very dangerous; some oil field ones recently drastically cut dividends and lost 80-90% of value, devastating investors who had NO IDEA about what they bought.
on March 27, 2014
Very informative! I really enjoyed the material. The Arthur did an excellent job providing examples and giving thorough information. Must read.
on January 28, 2014
Simple and good, KKIS
This book is for all of us. The way i will invest and ejoy the live
on August 19, 2014
A very enjoyable book about investing for INCOME rather than investing for GROWTH. It's worth a read for people of all ages