BCA Month Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Ultimate Hits by Garth Brooks $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 11, 2013
There are movies where the actors are compelled by the amazing script to give their best performances. Then there are movies where the actors read the script, ask their agents "how much are they willing to pay me again?" and go for it, mailing everything in. The latter scenario describes "The Incredible Burt Wonderstone," which considering its fairly high caliber of acting power boils down to nothing more than an extremely predictable riches-to-rags-to-redemption story.

Two nerdy eighties kids obsessed by a mail order magician's kit grow up to be Burt Wonderstone (a glammed-up Steve Carell) and Anton Marvelton (a less glammed-up Steve Buscemi), the magician superstars of the Vegas strip. However, offstage they hate each other and their popularity among the flyover crowds who adore them is being threatened by Steve Gray (Jim Carrey, who fifteen years ago would have starred in this), a "street magician" in the mold of Criss Angel and David Blaine, whose idea of magic is pulling a playing card out of a self-inflicted facial wound and holding his urine for weeks. After an attempt at edgy magic goes awry, Burt and Anton go their separate ways, Anton distributing magic kits to third world children and Burt reduced to entertaining at a nursing home for former Vegas performers. Lo and behold, the magician who inspired him as a child (Alan Arkin) lives at the home and ... I'm sure you can guess the rest.

"The Incredible Burt Wonderstone" isn't horrible, it's just REALLY predictable. I felt bad for Olivia Wilde, who's the only one that turns in a credible performance--she's also the only one who delivered a line that made me laugh. However, her character also becomes reduced to cliche. I'm no comedy snob, considering my all-time favorite movie is "Amimal House," but "The Incredible Burt Wonderstone" is just another in a very long line of multiplex filler between the summer blockbuster season and the serious award season. It's not memorable, not particularly funny, but if you want to pass two hours I guess it fits the bill.
on January 10, 2014
The ability to make a movie about Las Vegas usually makes the movie unique in setting as does here.

Anyone that enjoys the comedic fun about the stories of magic show production may enjoy seeing this movie.

It also seems like a spoof on the magic performers rivalry to out do each other but it is done in a way that makes magic still and exciting and funny subject for entertainment.

There are also some additional twists in this movie that make watching it to the very end fulfilling.
on July 9, 2013
I hope the other magician movie is better. This one reminded me of "Best Defense" from 1984. In that film the movie was screened and labeled a bomb, so the studio dumped $6 Million on Eddie Morphy to shoot a handful of scenes. Those scenes were then edited into the "bomb" and Eddie Murphy's name made top billing even though he was in just 6 minutes. Murphy later said it almost ruined his career.

Now Jim Carey was certainly in the movie more than 6 minutes, but the interaction between Carey and Steve Carell and Steve Buscemi is so limited at the start I wondered if he was added in as an afterthought. Even the credits state "Starring Steve Carell, Steve Buscemi" leaving Cary out.

It might be a good career move to be left out of this billing for Carey since his last several movies hae been less than spectacular. What happened to the "Bruce Almighty" Jim? It seems he is doing the Eddie Murphy career dive only without the Disney-esque personality change.

Buscemi is one of my favorite actors, but miscast as the Steve Carell side-kick. He is just not believable. I think Buscemi would have been better in the role the late Gandolfini had. Although not miscast, Gandolfini was just not ethnic enough for the way the character was written. It seemed to me the character of the casino owner was kind of bland, where it could have been amazing.

As long as I'm pooping on everyone, I should excrete equally on Steve Carell since he was equally responsible for this movie's failure. Come on STEVE! Please don't just play the same guy over and over like Jerry Lewis. You are an amazing actor, so come up with something new. If the director does not have the vision to let you be the great star you are then punch him/her in the nasty bits. Sometimes you have to just say NO to playing the same character over and over again.

The movie had its funny moments but was very predictable. The only unexpected scene was the Buscemi goes to Africa segment. But the rest we all saw coming.It does not even make sense in the continuity and timeline for much of the film.

Don't pay for this, wait until it's on free TV. It's not so bad for free. At least you'll get what you pay for.
on October 31, 2013
Well it's another Hollywood "stupid" movie. But there are some touching sweet moments spattered with a very few actual LOL moments. I am a Steve Buscemi fan. And I am an Alan Arkin fan. I do like Steve Carell but it is clear he and I do not share the same tastes in material. This movie happens to be held together by Alan Arkin's great performance. The rest is just fluff. Hey look, I didn't even mention Jim Carrey. Hmmm. I guess I could say if you liked Me, Myself, and Irene, it is about on par with that. Although one of the amusing points was that it seemed the obvious "real life" Vegas figure Jim Carrey was mocking is Criss Angel. I went to a Criss Angel show, never having heard of him before (I don't do cable TV), and I was sitting there the whole time thinking exactly the same thing as is the thread thru the movie "This is absolutely NOT magic". I could literally see how each trick was being done. It didn't matter much to me I just thought the show had been mis-represented. At any rate, not sure it was worth the $3.99 I paid Amazon to watch it. I would say just wait until you can stream it for free on Netflix! Really.
on January 9, 2016
Steve Carell Knocks it out of the park again. With Jim Carey as the antagonist, you haven't laughed as hard since Bruce Almighty. You can't help but hate and cheer for Steve and his supporting cast makes this movie a must have.
on January 19, 2015
I'm sorry but I didn't like this movie. I usually love Jim Carrey, I really do and did...I like Steve Carell. I believe that Steve Buscemi was the other guy too and I love them all...but I didn't like the movie that much.

I don't know why because it is an interesting movie. It depicts the life of an old-school Magician who has lost his "magic" (did I come up with that?) against the changing times and new flood of "magicians" (if they can be called that). But it's more drama and a feel good movie.

I really thought that it would be hilarious and some parts were very funny, but overall...not so funny.
on August 17, 2013
This movie had some laughs, if nothing else for Steve Buscemi's beautiful face; that man could raise the dead with his fantastic demeanor. This movie isn't breaking any new group and is hardly breathtaking, but if you're looking for an upbeat movie with some laughs - then this could probably quench that thirst.

Steve Carell delivers, as usual, a very sturdy and funny performance. Jim Carrey does Jim Carrey best by playing a very outlandish and over-the-top magician as well. The supporting characters are enough to keep you at least interested in the continuing plot of the movie and your main stars.

The movie also has some nice slight-of-hand and magic tricks involved, and generally - it's a fun movie. It's worth a watch, but don't expect it to change your life forever. Oh yeah, plus Olivia Wilde. Nice.
on March 19, 2017
love this movie!
on September 6, 2013
With few exceptions the laughs are few and far between in this alleged comedy. I was truly disappointed because Steve Carell and Steve Buscemi are two of my favorite performers but they don't seem to have a handle on the thin material given them. Sole redeeming qualities are James Gandolfini(R.I.P., Jimbo) as a casino owner and Jim Carrey as a guerilla street performer who bills himself as the Brain Rapist. Carrey's high wire act recalls his Fire Marshall Bill days on "In Living Color" and anticipates his Captain Stars and Stripes in this Summer's criminally underrated "Kick Ass 2". If only some of his fellow cast members could have tapped into his energy source this might have been a better picture instead of the bore that we are left with.
on September 7, 2017