Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Fall Reading Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 80 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 185 reviews
on July 22, 2015
I read it out loud to my wife at bed time over the phone while working out of state. We were sad when it ended.
Realistic; It neither romanticized nor demonized the Indians she knew. (Some were loyal and kind and a few were treacherous.) Truly a wonderful book about an extraordinary girl.
We also enjoyed STRAWBERRY GIRL, JUDY'S JOURNEY, PRAIRIE SCHOOL, and TEXAS TOMBOY.
on November 27, 2013
I am 11 years old, so consider this a kid's perspective.

I was told by my little sister that this was her favorite book, and if I read this book, I could tell her to read one too. (She read a whole nother story)

I admit, I didn't have high hopes for this book, and I was kinda disappointed she chose this one.. Now, I am so glad she did because it is one of my personal favorites. Amazing book, and I suggest this book to anyone... They can be five and like it, and don't be hesitant to read it if you are an adult or beyond that. Read this book, please, and you'll be glad you did.
on March 10, 2017
This was a fascinating story. Always heard captives were so mistreated good to know that some tribes were not. Would recommend this book to all ages.
on February 12, 2013
I read this book after reading The Ransom of Mercy Carter by Caroline B. Cooney about a thousand times (if you haven't read that book, please do so! It's amazing!) and this book was recommended for readers who enjoyed that book, but I was disappointed. I understand Mary Jemison's story is about a real life occurrence (with certain liberties taken due to the reading level set for this book), but I still didn't get involved with the story or love the character. I usually end up rooting for the character, no matter what choices they make. However, the author didn't get me as involved as I'd have liked. I'd have liked more detail and more background than just the same thing over and over.

Some may like it, but this didn't do it for me. Perhaps that's because I compared it to the Ransom of Mercy Carter the whole time, but still, if it was good enough, it would have found it's own spot in my heart, just like all the other books I've read and loved.
on March 2, 2015
I discovered Lois Lenski's books about 65 years ago and read all that were available in my elementary school library. I especially remember Indian Captive and Strawberry Girl so I purchased these to pass among my 6 grand daughters. What fun we are having sharing our favorite books.
on November 25, 2015
The Best, I found this book again after 30 years or more through Amazone. My old Book had severe water damage , it was thrown away . I loved this book , so interesting , so well written , with sketches to get the feel of the story. I loved this book as a child and I still enjoy this lovely book as an adult now . It took me years to find it . I can read this book over and over again.
on February 27, 2014
I wish to add a bit of clarity to the reviews of this book...
It is written for little girls (at heart) in a completely "fictional" storybook format.
Yes, it is based on a real person, but the events are not described as "first person" or factual, but rather as a narrative including the main character's thoughts & emotions although the author is not part of the story line or subject expert.
This book is not a biography or research documentary, it's a child's storybook...and a nice one at that.
Just know what you're getting. Enjoy.
on September 29, 2015
This is a great read for younger kids, ages 12-14 specifically. As an 8th grade teaching intern, I enjoyed this book immensely. The fact that it's grounded in some historical truth brings a lot of profundity to the reading, and it offers rare, personal insights into the lives of a decimated culture. These elements make for impactful and effective reading for our class.
on October 2, 2013
We read this book for a homeschool unit study on the Iroquois Indians. My 9 year old daughter was hiding her face in the pillow, I thought she was bored with the story, when I ask her what was wrong she said she was sad for Molly the little girl in the story. When we were finished with our chapters and it was time for our craft project, she declined and wanted me to read some more. Excellent story based on a true story, although I would say some of the vocabulary is difficult, you may want to have a dictionary on hand for when your asked what does that mean.
on January 30, 2013
I am a 5th grade teacher and I bought this book to read aloud to my reading class.
I appreciate the informative details from the perspective of both native Americans
and Colonists, and appreciate having a story to read aloud that omitted the details
that would not have been appropriate for 10 to 12 year olds. This is a good book
for children to learn about life during the colonial era, and an interesting story based
on the biography of a great woman.