Workplace Solutions Best of the Year Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Presto! Laundry Gifts for Him Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services pet pet pet  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Indie books - what a great idea for the small time writer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 17, 2008 11:27:38 AM PST
DeniMarie says:
I know I'm late with this epiphany as many people here already read independent authors, but how cool is it going to be for Indie type authors to be able to reach a larger crowd without having to go to print right away or finding a publisher.

It'll be neat to see how this plays out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2008 5:09:24 PM PST
ProducerNYC says:
Absolutely! It would create a new way of publishing, just as Napster created the MP3 craze and thereby created a new way of producing your own music.

It would be especially wonderful for authors of academic works, as these are often printed in exclusive journals and less accessible to the common student. And students could take their class books, syllabus and handouts with them through such a service as well - simply subscribe to a class and automatically download all the reading materials. No need for lots of time-consuming conversions and heavy textbooks. Wow - there's a HUGE market for this in the academic world!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2008 8:33:21 PM PST
Julia says:
20 years ago, a lot of my upper-level couse materials were purchased from Kinko's (usually compliations of the professors' professional writings or unpublished work). There were rarely enough pre-printed, so it took a minimum of two trips to acquire everything. (To this day, I cringe when I see a stack of booklets bound with plastic combs.) Another problem I had in school is my inability to mark or highlight books - I just can't bear to disfigure them in that manner. Kindle solves those issues. Self-publishing is a snap, it eliminates the need to carry around a back-breaking pack full of books, and makes highlighting and simple margin notes easy and undamaging (you can even export out the clippings for study or research). I would have loved this back then.

I can only imagine the productive study time I would have with a fully indexed and hyper-linked text book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2008 5:55:08 AM PST
Brent says:
M. Schade wrote, "It would create a new way of publishing, just as Napster created the MP3 craze and thereby created a new way of producing your own music."

No offense, but we're a long way from that. Napster worked because millions of people used it.

I'm looking forward to receiving a Kindle, and it's certainly a new market for unknown authors, but the market's very small at this point. And it's already flooded with existing authors and $1 classics.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Jan 17, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 18, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.