Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Style: GHBA Gimbal Head|Change

Showing 1-10 of 34 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 38 reviews
on May 6, 2015
Only a day of usage at this point, so far it looks like a good buy at the on sale price of two hundred ninety nine.. It would be on it's way back at full price however. The main reason is that the tilt friction is far too much with it adjusted to the least friction and stiction becomes an issue for smooth elevation movements. The pan axis is very nice and shows no sign of this. In time I'm hoping it may loosen, we'll see. I see that the Wimberley has an adjustment for the user to tweak if required but for twice the price I could have two of these gimbals, one for spare parts. My gear is a Canon 7D MKll with battery grip and a Canon EF 400mm f/5.6. I had both this gimbal and the GHB1 to evaluate and returned the GHB1. See my review there.
Edit: My first day out birding and all seems Okay. Even the vertical axis drag was not too much of a bother for stationary targets. Birds in
flight remains a concern however. Stay tuned. BTW here's a way to attach your camera body to the gimbal, I just ordered one. Desmond
120mm Nodal Slide DNR-120 Dual Dovetail Macro Rail & Clamp Arca Compatible http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F1IF240/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Update: Dec. 16 I've upgraded my review to 4 starz now finding the vertical axis not to be a problem. Also I've added new glass, a Sigma 150-600C a more weighty lens and the GHB2 performs very well.
on May 6, 2017
This head is extremely beefy and well built. Everything was thought of in it's design and it allows free adjustment of a large lens and camera with little effort. It is also tight enough to carry the assembled tripod/head/camera on your shoulder while hiking around. I love it.
on June 7, 2012
This gimbal mount is not too bad IMO. FYI, a gimbal head is designed for lenses that have their own tripod shoe and won't really work for mounting directly to the camera. It seems to be built pretty solid and does accomplish what it's designed for doing. These style of gimbal mounts are much more compact and lighter weight that the more complete mounts that only require a tripod. A gimbal mount gives much more control and stability to heavy lens and camera combinations. Especially using large telephoto (super-telephoto) lenses while shooting wildlife or fast moving subjects.

This Induro head, like others of this style, can actually fit in my camera bag allowing me to carry the tripod and ball head separately. This allows a much more compact carrying experience and allows me to use the ball head for non-gimbal use with regular camera/lens combinations.

Using a 500mm Sigma lens and a DSLR with battery grip, this head seemed to handle the weight just fine. It was, however, slightly less than smooth when pivoting the camera up and down. The locking knob of the gimbal pivot was also a little weird and tended to be either fully locked or unlocked. It does not easily allow slight tension to be placed on the pivot.

Lastly, I could not tilt the camera up all the way without hitting the locking knob of my ball head. This could be a simple flaw in my specific ball head design, and was easily solved by pivoting the gimbal head back slightly from perfect vertical position. This would not be any issue if I did not have the battery grip on my camera.

I would like to try Wimberley's version of this style of gimbal for a comparison. It appears to only be ~$50 more expensive but may work better?

Pros:
Solid construction
Handles heavy loads and secured lens and camera very well
Compact and easily removed for transport

Cons:
Locking knob worked best for fully locked or unlocked position only
Smoothness of pivot was a little lacking
on May 7, 2012
I'd previously used an Induro ball mount on my tripod and although it produced better shots in less than ideal light I didn't feel the results warranted packing a tripod in my suitcase when I traveled. That attitude changed when I first mounted my camera on the Induro gimbal head. Suddenly my camera was free in a way it never could be with a ball head. I could effortlessly track flying birds. I could quickly and easily lock on to a subject and rip off perfectly focused shots. I could swing my camera around, zoom in and out, recompose, and do it all with an ease no ball head could ever match.

If you're using lenses with their own mounting foot I strongly suggest trying a gimbal head with your tripod, especially if you photograph birds or other wildlife. You'll feel nearly as free as hand holding your rig, but you'll have stability hand holding is unlikely to match.

I now pack my tripod and Induro gimbal head on every trip.
on February 5, 2014
If this was $100.00, (as it should be)....This would be a 5 star product. But it is a true copy of a USA made and designed item....and imported by the MAC Group. A group that for years fought to prevent US folks from buying Mamiya products from overseas (where they were much less money)...because they were greedy importers. Strictly a mark up company! No added value...( So it is quite ironic that now they are happy to represent and import Induro items, that are nothing more than copies of tried and true manufacturers.....

As to the Sidekick? Feels better, lighter, much better quality, and functions better as well for balancing. With the Induro, it really didn't matter much where the camera was balanced...it "stuck". Wimberley's mounting clamp is better quality as well. For $46.00 more, buy the Wimberley Sidekick!!
on June 29, 2016
Its awesome....took a few times out to get the hang of the knob positions but now its a piece of cake and its a great accessory for shooting. Never mind the weight of the camera and lens you don't have to deal with, you really don't need a shutter release with this on your tripod. You're basically locked in before you press the release button.
review image review image
on March 5, 2016
I think it is a well made product and would work superbly with most large lenses. Not the best for mine as my collar is longer then those on newer lenses and not interchangeable.which causes the lens to sit off center over the tripod raising balance concerns. My lens is a Nikkor 500mm f/4 AF-I..
on January 21, 2016
Very handy to pack along,and set up in field with longer telephoto lenses. (I've only gone up to Canon 100-400 L)
Works, adjusts and pans smoothly, and sets tightly enough to prevent drift or slippage. recommend at least a 100 mm AS-type plate for forward/backward balancing adjustment.
on May 6, 2015
For my Canon 7D MKll/battery grip and EF Canon 400mm f5/6 it leaves much to be desired for birding, my main application . The pivots are smooth as butter and work very well however the up swing angle is severely restricted as the battery grip contacts the pan axis area on the gimbal head. I would think a larger and heavier lens may not have this issue. So it's on it's way back. I also bought the GHB2 gimbal which I will keep. See my review there.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2017
Love this, use it when photographing wildlife. Moves smoothly and can hold a Canon 5DMiii with a 100-400 zoom no problem.