Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 498 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 589 reviews
on March 11, 2014
This was a very sad and disturbing movie. All I could think of was the 2 little boys on their own, the abandoned Pete, and how skinny that Mister was. I expect to see these children again in the future, because they were such professionals.
on December 2, 2015
Mister and Pete. Didn't expect it to be what it was but I am glad I sat down and got pulled into the story. I could not even begin to imagine what it would be like to walk in the shoes of anyone who would have to live the life Mister and Pete. But hope is a powerful drug and I don't even think Mister knew he had it until he was came face to face with the inevitable. He had to survive. Skylan Brooks as Mister and Ethan Dizon as his sidekick Pete both gave outstanding performances equally poignant. One takes the lead, he is pushy, bold and daring and the other quietly follows, too afraid to do anything else and a friendship and a bond emerges. Proving once again we need each other, we can't make it alone. FDJA
on June 22, 2015
This was a very powerful film. The first 10 minutes kind of catch you off guard because you are not expecting the language and the events that are happening in the film but don't stop watching please. There is a deeper message in the film that will have you thinking and feeling for the characters in the movie. This movie has made me want to keep fighting when things get tough and I love how the movie ended. I love it and the ending seemed real, realistic and very hopeful. The movie was real but it still gave you hope at the same time. Some movies are so depressing without hope but not this movie. I loved it and I would recommend this movie to anyone feeling like they wanted to give up but needed a reason to keep going on. Thank God for whoever wrote this movie they have mad talent and it has really blessed my life. I cried during this movie but at the end it left me with strength.
on May 19, 2015
In this movie, the screen writer and movie director thrust us into a world of not often mentioned in the main stream media outlets or if mentioned, is not always depicted in the crude way that director Anthony Mackie presents it to us. It is a world in which plagues like drug addiction, prostitution, poverty put their blindfolds in their eyes and strike indiscriminately across all races - black (the child main character named "mister"), asian (the child character named Pete) and white (Pete's across the door female neighbor) among the most vulnerable ones in our world. The character "Mister", left by his drug addict and prostitute mother (Jennifer Hudson) to fend for himself and for Pete after she was arrested, may lack financial resources to survive but not creativity. The movie director, via the homeless veteran character, painted a vivid picture of what ends up being the hellish life our brave veterans who had risked their lives to protect us. More often than not, what is not said tells more than what is said.

The principal merit of director Anthony Mackie is to have used his talent to tell a depressing story in a captivating way scene after scene. The cast he had assembled is fantastic. Via Jennifer Hudson's character's rehabilitation, director Anthony also wanted to convey a message of hope in the midst of the most dire reality.
on April 7, 2014
J Hud did awesome job protraying drug addicted mom. The children stoled my heart great acting. A really sad but touching movie. wanted a better ending for Pete.
on March 29, 2015
In spite of this film being a stronger version of "The Afterschool Special", the film was moving. It is strange that when people watch films of this nature, they are under the impression that the story is over-exaggerated. Unfortunately, this particular instance of family dysfunction is all too common and it does effect a particular race. It crashes through barriers and spans throughout every culture: leaving behind the same damage and fallout.

I was particularly taken by little Pete. Though he knew Mister just a kid himself, he felt safer with him than he did with his own parent.

Though emotionally draining, this film dares to tell the struggles of everyday people living from day to day. Very good film. I highly recommend it. Parental guidance is highly suggested as it has an R rating....but mostly due to language and drug use.
on March 1, 2016
I loved the young actors in this movie. They played there parts very well given that this movie deals with a deep topic that's the norm in some neighborhoods. It's about survival. Nicely done.
on August 28, 2016
I found this movie very emotional; it will break your heart. However, it is worth watching. It is a raw, gritty portrayal of the inner city and what happens to children when adults are irresponsible. All of the actors were fantastic. I would recommend it for mature audiences. It has a lot of profanity, but that is the reality of life in some parts of the city. Skylan Brooks and Ethan Dizon give unforgettable performances.
on May 17, 2014
The acting was fantastic...The storyline was great..Highly recommend it..Jennifer Hudson, and the two young actors really made the characters unforgettable.
on September 29, 2014
Great movie but unfortunately NOT for kids. Should be for kids but unless you grow up in the ghetto you won't appreciate the lifestyle depicted; IV drug use, prostitution. The way innocence is clouded by the reality of these kids lives in the projects is shocking and sad. How you can't even rely on a neighbor, or your moms "boss". The movie ends with hope but I can't help but question that hope...can't we change this life for our future generations? That would be my hope for this movie.
4 stars instead of 5: Too hardcore for a valuable audience--kids.