Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Inferno: (Robert Langdon Book 4)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports

on July 17, 2014
If the book had been about 75 pages fewer, this would be a 4 1/2 star book. The book contained the elements one would expect from a Dan Brown novel - the beautiful locale, the brilliant clever hero, the woman there to assist Langdon and the mystery unraveled through clues from masterpieces in history. The puzzle is almost interesting enough to keep your on noticing the travel brochure hiding in the story. In some cases the location description was so long is distracted from the story. Cut out even a small percentage of the travel brochure and you have a better book. I wish read the next book if one is written but may wait for paperback price.
on March 19, 2014
If i could give 3 1/2 stars, I would. I really wanted to love this book. The pace was great from the start...it hit the ground running and was suspenseful right away. It wasn't until probably 2/3 to 3/4 of the way through the book that it, sorry to say, got to be a little ridiculous for me. The explanation of how the "bad guys" were really good guys and how they tricked Langdon into thinking he...well, I don't want to give away anything! The last 1/4 of the book was a bit of a let down for me and I just didn't care for how the story wrapped up. I will say that it was a good read and while it wasn't Dan Brown's best, I still enjoyed it.
on September 28, 2013
The threat on Earth's natural resources by global over population is a known entity. So too are the efforts of the World Health Organization's and other health centered initiatives to address this through education around family planning. Bio-terrorism is also a known threat.

"Inferno", like all of the "Langdon" series of books, takes known issues and imagines the worst possible scenario for each. I enjoyed the remedial education on Dante's "Inferno", studied too many years ago to admit; and the Art History crib notes on Florence and the many artists that called it home.

That said, the story is peppered with too many characters whose backgrounds and motives are suspect. It is one thing to draw us into Langdon's confusion, it is quite another to leave us equally confused....for too many pages. The premise of the "Consortium" is real enough, the "Mission Impossible" concocted scenarios have been done better by others.

In the end, I enjoyed the book but found myself looking forward to the end long before I ran out of pages.
on July 2, 2014
The author hooks you and keeps you hooked throughout the book. Just when you think you know what is going to happen, you realize the author has created yet another twist and turn. Love the history that gets woven in, although I have never been to the places described by the author, his rich detail makes me feel like I have. This book certainly gives you a lot to think about, and makes you ponder the uncertainty of our own future. All one has to do is take a look around and realize that the planet is over populated and we are using or destroying all of our natural resources at such an alarming rate; it makes you wonder what will become of the human race?
on September 3, 2014
Although Inferno is an exciting book with plenty of action and a puzzle to solve (the only reason it received a 3 instead of a 2), it was only marginally believable. Events occurred too conveniently. For example, at one point Langdon was desperately in need of a clue and, falling down, happened to land on the only thing that could have provided that clue. And throughout the book, Langdon was always in possession of unique in-depth knowledge or experiences that enable him, and him alone, to know how to proceed (e.g. secret passages that he happened to remember from a long-ago tour that only he was permitted to attend). It’s as if the author didn’t want to exert the effort to solve the immediate problem, so he decided to just give Langdon the information he needed. Nonetheless, it’s a fun book if you can overlook its flaws.
on December 3, 2013
"Up and down/ In and out/Back and forth/And round about." Well, that about sums this book up for me. And the main action took place in a period of 24 hours if I read it correctly. Robert Langdon and co. had more adventures in a 24 hour period than most of us will have in a lifetime. When it's time to make the movie, the director won't even need a script writer or a screen writer - he or she will just open the book, present it to the actor and say "Read your lines". It's all there, just connect the lines, add a whole bunch of action sequences, and the movie is finished. This time around, Dan Brown chose Dante's "The Divine Comedy" to base the action on, particularly "Inferno", with brief references to "Purgatorio" and "Paradiso". The other theme dealt with the world population explosion, and how a brilliant, Dante-obsessed geneticist decided to fight the population problem.. Too much action was compressed into too short a time period. I think if the main action was spread out a bit, the story would have been more enjoyable. Most of the story took place in Florence, Italy, so you will learn about the churches and museums there; other venues include Venice, Italy, and Istanbul, Turkey. If you're looking for adventure, and not looking for beautiful prose, you should enjoy this book.
on May 27, 2014
I really enjoyed this take-off on Dante's INFERNO. I read this the week it was published, but just never got around to writing a review. The book had the typical clues and plot twists of a Dan Brown story. I love Dante's Inferno and the use of it here was done admirably. I thought the theme of the story was a bit far-fetched, but it's difficult to have an international suspense novel without some significant suspension of disbelief.

This would make a great beach read. I say 4.25 stars. Maybe I expect too much of the author. Maybe I'll bump up the rating as I get further away from the reading. I doubt it though; I would have rated it 5 stars upon finishing it last year.
on March 10, 2014
New to dan Brown or not u will enjoy this book. For those of us that have read is every work we knew what to expect from the Langdon character. There were however twists in this book I didn't see coming. At first I was frustrated in that Langdon was surprised to b pulled into a crazy life or death situation. Where in line with the devinci code does this fall? The character should be developed enough to stop being surprised at these antics. Then knowing the standard of a beautiful women at his Side in the chaos at first made it seemingly predictable. However the twisted world proved to be worth the sometimes lengthy explanation of the historical surroundings. Brown is a wonderful author who just when u think u know u realize u have no idea! Can't go wrong with this book and yes I did pay for it :)
on May 25, 2014
Bought this second-hand for a few dollars, and got a nice read out of it, but it was not great. The premise was mildly interesting, but by the end of the book, you find out that all the running around really amounted to just wasted energy.

The writing is too often just groan-inducing. The historical aspect of things can be interesting (I have been to all three major cities in the book - Florence, Venice, and Istanbul - which made it kind of fun to put the characters on the streets I have walked), but the relationships are so absurdly far-fetched and the conclusions of the book ridiculous.

Would not recommend to anyone unless you just want to have something fairly mindless to read.
on January 16, 2014
When I read for pleasure, I read first to be entertained. If it happens that I learn something and/or enjoy some enlightenment in the process, it's a bonus. With Dan Brown, I am entertained, and I get that bonus, too. Inferno is no exception.

Mr. Brown's (I'd like to call him Dan. He is, after all, a near-neighbor, but we haven't met, so...) storytelling is of the variety that leads to lack of sleep. That is, I find it so engaging - enthralling - that more often than not, I can't rest until I've finished the entire book. Since those types of reads are rare, I have greater appreciation for those authors who inspire that level of reading commitment.

Inferno doesn't disappoint. I look forward to Mr. Brown's next novel (There will be one, right?), and I look forward to the movie version of Inferno, hopefully starring Tom Hanks in his recurring role as Robert Langdon (There will be one, right?).