Top positive review
212 people found this helpful
Clips are a big improvement
on July 25, 2012
I use hot rollers nearly every day of my life, and I am quite familiar with the different types available.
This set is a sort of update to a Conair set that used plastic clips that were heated individually inside the unit. (This unit does not heat the clips.)
- Heats up quickly...but not in 85 seconds. Come on, anything that heats up in 85 seconds would scorch your hair off anyway! ;-) I'd say more like 5 minutes to get them good and hot...fast enough.
- The clips are AWESOME!! I have used everything from the old wire clips to the plastic claw-style clips, and then ones that come with this set are the best at both holding the roller in place AND not "denting" your hair. They are amazing at holding the largest (and heaviest) rollers in place, even when there's very little hair in them. The only problem? I'm not so sure they'll last for many years...already one has a prong broken off. It still works, but if that happens every time, this set may not have longevity.
- Flocked rollers are 'kind' to hair -- and tends to make it easier to get the job done without burning your fingers or scalp.
- Not enough smaller rollers. The rollers come in 4 sizes -- 4 jumbo, 6 large, 6 medium-small, and 4 tiny. Inevitably, you won't have enough of whatever size you prefer. I generally end up using two hot rollers sets in order to get more of the smaller rollers.
- The jumbo size rollers are simply TOO large, I think, for most people -- they do not produce a curl at all. So, they're great for smoothing your hair out...but then there aren't enough of them to do all of your hair at the same time.
- Clips bend out of shape and break somewhat easily (though they are GREAT at holding the rollers in place).
- No bag or container to hold the clips. (Conair used to give you a drawstring bag to hold the clips in.) No big deal, just a company getting cheap!
Overall, this set of hot rollers is very similar to sets put out in the past 5 years...nothing really new here, except for the clips. You probably won't hand it down to your daughter in 20 years, but the clips should make it a few years, at least...