Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 27 reviews(5 star, Verified Purchases). See all 144 reviews
on February 15, 2011
I am enrolled in a graduate program in the library and information sciences field. This was one of the required books for my web design class. Although I have only completely read nine chapters, the book is a VERY easy read. It breaks downs terminology into a language that a first time web site designer (such as myself) could understand. It has many examples in text and illustrations from real web sites. I highly recommend this book for first time web site designers.
on September 24, 2001
There's a reason all the famous web-design folks recommend this book. It's still about the only book that addresses the design of _information_, and it still does the job very well.
O'Reilly has become justifiably famous with its user-friendly technical volumes, but this one is a bit of a departure. There isn't anything in here about how to code anything; there are no handy lists of functions or commands for easy reference. What there is is a thorough, focused but wide-ranging discussion of the issues facing someone who wants to make electronic information usable and accessible via a website.
(That includes database design, by the way. There isn't all that much detail and it's in the context of making websites searchable, but there's good discussion of e.g. controlled-vocabulary terms and how users actually look for information.)
The overall approach is refreshingly big-picture: the authors emphasize, for example, navigation _systems_ and labelling _systems_ (rather than just "labels"), and they devote an entire chapter to "conceptual design." No wonder, three and a half years after its initial publication, it's still the standard reference work in a field that usually puts books out of date overnight.
And no wonder Jakob Nielsen thinks well enough of it to write the foreword. If you know who Nielsen is, you probably already have this book; but since none of the information on this page credits his contribution, it can't hurt to let readers know.
Ostensibly devoted to websites but generally applicable to any context in which electronic information has to be organized, this book should be somewhere on the shelf of every IT professional. If you like Steve Krug's _Don't Make Me Think!_ (as I do), you'll like this one too -- maybe better. (Krug's book is a good one to show your boss; this is a good one to read whether your boss sees it or not.)
on December 10, 1998
Plenty of books explain how to develop web pages, including pages with all kinds of bells, whistles, and gimcracks.
Rosenfeld and Morville explain how to design web *sites* that work. Anyone who thinks they want to design a web site should read this book and really think about its contents; if the principles described herein were applied intelligently, the Web would be a much nicer, more interesting and more useful place.
on August 17, 2000
I have to admit I was nervous about purchasing a Web book that's more than two years old, but the reviews made me decide to try it out anyhow. They were right!

Reading through this book has helped me to better understand why some of my sites have been called "confusing" or "hard to navigate" by visitors. Some of the concepts were simple ones that I had gained a half-understanding of myself while others were entirely new to me.

Although the book describes itself as Architecture for the Web, I've also found it helpful in my day job as a programmer/analyst and a number of my screen designs and process flows have changed based on things I first discovered in this book.

If you've ever wondered why people find the data on your site confusing, I'd strongly recommend reading through this book and comparing your site to their suggestions.
on January 14, 2015
I love this book and recommend it to anyone that works with the web be it designer, developer or UI | UX | IA.
This book taught me so much about how to think about the user's experience by how the information flows and how teams work
on June 21, 2007
As project manager, I was in a bind when our contract information architect failed to understand the complexities of our matrixed business model and client base. Rosenfeld's book helped me design a IA for our 700 page HTML site that has since been described as simple, intuitive, a no-brainer. What great compliments!

The book describes basic theories of IA in general (i.e. book indexes and tables of contents, libraries, etc.) and the pros and cons of different organization, labeling, and navigation systems. Then Rosenfeld advises on presenting IA to management, etc., managing expectations (yours and others), and gives detailed examples of IA strategies online.
on August 26, 2011
I bought this book in 2005, and it was really difficult read but that is the nature of the devil. It is not an easy subject, therefore this book really covers the concept of Information Architecture in great depth. Now in 2011 and with my iPad, I thought I should buy it again but the Kindle version this time. I keep using it as a reference for anything that has to do with Information Architecture, or to go about the structure of any complex website or e-commerce.
on December 10, 2016
super nice
on September 12, 2013
This had been on my to-read list while in grad school for Library and Information Science. Shortly after graduating I finally got around to reading it, and I am so glad I did. This is a great read and thoroughly written book for IA.
on February 16, 2014
good to buy this book Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web...