Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 85% on textbooks Shop women's shoes nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

VINE VOICEon September 29, 2009
I have been performing maintenance on the family cars since my dad died when I was fifteen. That makes over a quarter century of brakes jobs and tire rotations, removing and tightening lugs with a T wrench. A couple weeks ago, I bought a compressor; mainly to keep the tires inflated, but I couldn't resist sizing it at least marginally enough to run an impact wrench. Then I couldn't resist going ahead and getting the wrench. I worked a little overtime, made my order, and my Ingersoll-Rand 2130 was on the table when I got home from work this evening. I immediately went out to perform an overdue rotation on the Silverado. Those who've used impact wrenches regularly will laugh, but I was downright dumbfounded when the wrench tapped the lug nut a few times and spun the nut off in a fraction of a second. And the wrench hardly attempts to turn in your hand. Had I known an impact wrench would make life this easy, I would have invested in the wrench and compressor years ago.

I did some research before purchasing, reading a lot of reviews and comparing specs. I pretty much decided one was wasting his money going below about the $110 point. The other contender that would minimally meet my needs at the lowest price was the Ingersoll-Rand 231C 1/2-Inch Super Duty Air Impact Wrench. I'm sure I would have been happy with that, but moving up the 2130 seemed to be good value. For about $30 more you got a little more forward torque (500 ft-lbs. vs 350), a little more speed (9500 RPM vs 8000), about 2/3 the weight (~4 lbs. vs. 6) at very little additional air use (4.4 SCFM vs 4.2, however they measure that).

I was a bit concerned about my compressor being up to the wrench. It's a Sears Craftsman 20 gallon, 1.5 HP, 150 max. PSI rated at 3.8 SCFM at 90 PSI (however THEY measure that). A lot of experts would say it's not enough. Sears said it was fine for 1/2" impact wrenches and only appropriate for intermittent use with a 3/4" wrench. I did some math and took the risk. For performing a tire rotation, the compressor was every bit up to the task. I really can't imagine any job in which the wrench would be used so continuously to really tax the compressor. If you're a shade tree mechanic, this compressor had no problem with the wrench. In fact, I had almost completed the rotation when I realized that I had turned off the compressor earlier when my three-year-old came outside and was terrified by the compressor. I had done the job with only stored air, it was still holding 90 PSI, and I had noticed no reduction in the performance of the wrench.

I did not find any photos of the 2130 on the web that showed the rear the wrench. (I intend to post a photo or two in a the next few days) The red button in the side photo pushes left and right, choosing forward and backward. There is a five position toggle (at least on mine - the manual says it's three) in the rear to choose the maximum power. The switch is labelled from 1 at the lowest setting to 2 at the highest setting. Go figure. Power is also continuously variably controlled with the trigger, and I have to say that it is a fabulous trigger with fantastic control of speed. I've never used a power tool with fine control like that. I was also amazed at how quiet it was. It certainly makes little noise when it's not hammering, and when it is, I don't believe the 100 dBa plus listed in the specs (on the verge of pain.) I also ordered the Ingersoll Rand SK4M14 1/2-Inch Drive 14-Piece Metric Standard Impact Socket Set. This appears to be a great value as well.

Time will tell how it holds up, but with my use, I expect it last a long time before requiring a rebuild. I can't speak for professional mechanics, but if you're a do-it-yourself mechanic, I don't believe you will go wrong with this wrench.

Oh yeah...while you're waiting for your new toy to come, get a bottle of air tool oil. None is included.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
132 people found this helpful
|77 comments|Report abuse
on June 29, 2015
Im a mechanic and use this several times daily. I have always liked IR impact guns and knowing i can get such a quality gun at this price from them is fantastic. my previous gun was an IR titanium gun about $400. this gun isnt as strong but still loosens every bolt. it has a smaller power setting . a little bigger. and one thing i did not expect. quieter. this has been a great gun and i highly recommend it . unless you absolutely need a strong gun get this. save the cash.
4 people found this helpful
on September 27, 2014
Purchased in March 2012 for a brake job I was doing on my Tahoe; couldn't get the caliper bolts to break loose. This did the job, and I've since used it to remove the wheels four or five times for other tasks. But the tool turned gutless the other night while replacing the rear shocks; would barely turn the wheel lug nuts, when it originally spun them right off with minimal effort. Oil the tool at each use, and it's in perfect condition, so not sure what's going on. Compressor settings haven't changed.
4 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on December 25, 2013
I use this tool everyday at work as a Toyota technician and I've been impressed with it. it has more than enough power for my needs and was a bargain compared to the IR titanium 1/2". It's light, easy to grip, and hasn't let me down so far. If you work on very rusty cars or heavy duty equipment you might wanna go for a more powerful gun, but for working on regular cars and trucks it works great.

Update 2-9-16: been using this for 4 years now, I've moved to medium/heavy diesel equipment and it still works great! Torques Super Duty lug nuts to 160+ ft-lbs using a torque stick. This is a lightweight gun that has lasted and appears like it will last many more years in an industrial setting.
3 people found this helpful
on May 17, 2014
I like to do mechanic work at home and this wrench has worked really well for me. it has helped me remove tires very quickly. i also have used it to remove suspension parts that otherwise would have taking me a really long time, but with the wrench they are off in seconds. i was originally going to buy the 231c wrench but once i looked at the specs i decided to go with something more moderate and less heavy. before buy the 2130 i went to a local shop that had both wrenches to compare them. right away when i lifted the 231c i knew i didn't wanted to be carrying that much weight with me when i would be working. so i got the 2130 and im pleased i went this route.
To power this wrench i use the DEWALT D55168 200 PSI 15 Gallon 120-Volt Compressor. so far this has been a great combinations and helps me get the job done
2 people found this helpful
on April 26, 2010
I put this tool to good use right away to remove a 1 and 1/4 inch nut which was holding on the rear axle yoke on my 88 Chevy Pickup. I had tried to break it loose previously with a half inch breaker bar and couldn't budge it. I've never used an impact wrench before so I didn't know exactly what to expect, so I set my compressor at 85psi (manual says 90psi is max.) put the socket over the nut and pulled the trigger. About 5 seconds later the nut was off. I couldn't believe how easy it was. Putting the new yoke on was a bit tricky as you have to be careful not to damage the crush washer. I set the tool on the lowest setting and it was very easy to control with the trigger; I got it on with no problem. Next I needed to replace a brake caliper so I used it to pull off the front tire which was just plain fun. I'm just a shade tree mechanic but have found lots of uses for this tool. It's very useful and I couldn't have done some of the jobs I've done without it. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you decide to purchase it. I also purchased the Ingersoll Rand SK4H13L 1/2-Inch Drive 13-Piece SAE Deep Impact Socket Set to go with it as I was told that regular sockets would not hold up. These are great sockets, very hefty with easy to read markings (great for those with over 40 eyes).
17 people found this helpful
on March 14, 2014
I received an air compressor from my wife. It was not the greatest quality and the CFM's weren't very high. So I had a real problem finding and impact wrench that would put out the power I needed while not requiring high CFM's. A mechanic suggested this wrench. I wanted to be able to loosen and tighten lug nuts along with other minor mechanic jobs. I was quite surprised at the quality and power. This fit the need perfectly. I cannot say if it is for the heavy use mechanic, but for the price it was great for me.
One person found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on August 10, 2018
Used the item today in work, very quiet impact gun. Its appears to be a good tool for the price! Did not want to spend over $300.00 for the IR top model! Reason I purchased this, to be used as back up, while my Snap-On impact is being sent out for repair, and spend another $400.00 or so for a back up Snap-on impact gun. Plus my co-worker has IR Titanium model. In time will see how it holds up!
on January 12, 2014
I have two of these and they work well, the reverse lever is easy to operate. Selectable power is great too. Trigger can be modulated to give very slight power all the way to full power. Not sure I'm getting rated power however, you may need a larger dia. hose than what I have and that's probably the restriction.

Also I recommend the rubber boot for this tool. Fits perfectly and lets you use it with abandon, not worrying about it.
2 people found this helpful
on January 25, 2018
gave as gift. great item to his start of tools
One person found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.