Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jordan Davis All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

VINE VOICEon September 29, 2009
I have been performing maintenance on the family cars since my dad died when I was fifteen. That makes over a quarter century of brakes jobs and tire rotations, removing and tightening lugs with a T wrench. A couple weeks ago, I bought a compressor; mainly to keep the tires inflated, but I couldn't resist sizing it at least marginally enough to run an impact wrench. Then I couldn't resist going ahead and getting the wrench. I worked a little overtime, made my order, and my Ingersoll-Rand 2130 was on the table when I got home from work this evening. I immediately went out to perform an overdue rotation on the Silverado. Those who've used impact wrenches regularly will laugh, but I was downright dumbfounded when the wrench tapped the lug nut a few times and spun the nut off in a fraction of a second. And the wrench hardly attempts to turn in your hand. Had I known an impact wrench would make life this easy, I would have invested in the wrench and compressor years ago.

I did some research before purchasing, reading a lot of reviews and comparing specs. I pretty much decided one was wasting his money going below about the $110 point. The other contender that would minimally meet my needs at the lowest price was the Ingersoll-Rand 231C 1/2-Inch Super Duty Air Impact Wrench. I'm sure I would have been happy with that, but moving up the 2130 seemed to be good value. For about $30 more you got a little more forward torque (500 ft-lbs. vs 350), a little more speed (9500 RPM vs 8000), about 2/3 the weight (~4 lbs. vs. 6) at very little additional air use (4.4 SCFM vs 4.2, however they measure that).

I was a bit concerned about my compressor being up to the wrench. It's a Sears Craftsman 20 gallon, 1.5 HP, 150 max. PSI rated at 3.8 SCFM at 90 PSI (however THEY measure that). A lot of experts would say it's not enough. Sears said it was fine for 1/2" impact wrenches and only appropriate for intermittent use with a 3/4" wrench. I did some math and took the risk. For performing a tire rotation, the compressor was every bit up to the task. I really can't imagine any job in which the wrench would be used so continuously to really tax the compressor. If you're a shade tree mechanic, this compressor had no problem with the wrench. In fact, I had almost completed the rotation when I realized that I had turned off the compressor earlier when my three-year-old came outside and was terrified by the compressor. I had done the job with only stored air, it was still holding 90 PSI, and I had noticed no reduction in the performance of the wrench.

I did not find any photos of the 2130 on the web that showed the rear the wrench. (I intend to post a photo or two in a the next few days) The red button in the side photo pushes left and right, choosing forward and backward. There is a five position toggle (at least on mine - the manual says it's three) in the rear to choose the maximum power. The switch is labelled from 1 at the lowest setting to 2 at the highest setting. Go figure. Power is also continuously variably controlled with the trigger, and I have to say that it is a fabulous trigger with fantastic control of speed. I've never used a power tool with fine control like that. I was also amazed at how quiet it was. It certainly makes little noise when it's not hammering, and when it is, I don't believe the 100 dBa plus listed in the specs (on the verge of pain.) I also ordered the Ingersoll Rand SK4M14 1/2-Inch Drive 14-Piece Metric Standard Impact Socket Set. This appears to be a great value as well.

Time will tell how it holds up, but with my use, I expect it last a long time before requiring a rebuild. I can't speak for professional mechanics, but if you're a do-it-yourself mechanic, I don't believe you will go wrong with this wrench.

Oh yeah...while you're waiting for your new toy to come, get a bottle of air tool oil. None is included.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
77 comments| 132 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 1, 2017
good product!!!!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 16, 2010
I purchased this impact wrench to replace a very old Craftsman hand me down which doesn't have adequate power. The wrench is finished in very nice composite body with the air ports at the handle of the wrench. Power setting is established with a dial on the rear of the unit. There is a direction switch just below the dial setting. The trigger is very responsive and has variable power delivery. It fits 1/2 inch impact sockets perfectly and has a design where it grips the socket so it doesn't fall off easily.

The very first time I used this was to loosen up axle nut on a 7 year old car driven in the Northern USA climate (salt + road grime). I would presume the torque delivery was very close to its maximum, but after 2-3 seconds of hammering, the axle nut came loose. Pretty impressive. I loosen up both side of the FWD axle in one minute. It saved me time, my back and possibly my knuckles if I would have it done manually with an extra long breaker bar.

The wrench has a very nice balance and is pretty lightweight for its size and torque delivery. Please adhere to its minimum air delivery and pressure (make sure your compressor is up to snuff). The wrench is not so quiet, but I usually use ear plugs around these things anyway. For the price + power delivery + quality of construction, I would comfortable rate it at 5 stars.
on May 23, 2013
This is my second air impact wrench. My first was a cheap one from harbor freight. It is night and day comparing the two. I tested out the 2130 on a bunch of old rusted in bolts and nuts today and it busted. everyone of them loose. It also took lugnuts off with ease from two of my vehicles.

I love this tool and you can tell it is very well made. It very well may be the last air impact wrench I ever buy.

As a side note, I ordered mine from amazon warehouse deals for an amazing price as a used, like new unit. It came in the original box and was labeled " reconditioned grade a." If it wasnt labeled as such I would have thought it was brand new as it looked perfect.
on May 3, 2010
I've been using this with a Craftsman Pro 26gal compressor. I did some research and this impact wrench had good specs for the SCFM rating I could support. Just changed my timing belt last weekend and it was great for removing the wheel, motor mount, crankshaft pulley bolt etc. The IR is short enough that it fits into most places you'd expect to use an impact wrench. Also, it fits well in my hands and has a solid feel.

There are three power settings on the back. The counterclockwise rotation is full force regardless of the setting. With the middle setting, my lugnuts go on just a bit tighter than spec, so I actually avoid using a torque wrench when I use this.
44 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 2, 2012
Great product overall. Small and powerful. I've been avioding buying a "high end" (non Harbor Frieght) impact for years. Finally took the plunge. I have a small 2hp/10gal compressor and it bearly excerts itself when I use this IR impact. Broke down a complete long block with all accessories attached and the compressor maybe cycled for less than 5 minutes total to keep up.
on May 6, 2010
A pleasure working with this tool no problems
should have obtained this tool many years ago
on August 21, 2015
Thank you!
on May 26, 2013
First if all I'm not a real mechanic . I'm what you call a jack of all trades . I have a 33 gallon craftsman compressor and this gun is a perfect match. Has plenty of torque works great for lug nuts . I have ragged the hell of it and and it's still going strong. If you have the right air compressor to match I would highly recommend this gun.
on September 8, 2011
impact wrench has plenty of power, light weight and relatively quiet. for the price you wont find a better deal in my opinion. been wrenching for over 30 years and own several IR products
all have given many many years of service.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.