Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on June 16, 2011
I waited a long time to have enough expendable cash to buy myself a quality impact. I finally purchased the legendary IR231C. I was confident that I was buying one of the best impacts from the best manufacturer with a rich history. Imagine my surprise when I opened the package to see "Made in China" printed on the back of the gun. Upon further inspection I discovered the trigger is now plastic, as is one of the reverse switches on the back. I threw a 1/4" fitting on it and tested it out. I have no doubt it's still a great gun, which is why I still gave it two stars, and I really like the smooth action of the trigger, but I feel I've been cheated out of the gun I thought I was buying.

They clearly cut corners in the interest of profit, which makes me wonder what internal components have also been compromised. I decided to just send it back and did more shopping around. I wound up with an AirCat 1000-TH 1/2-Inch Composite Air Impact Wrench, which I REALLY like. I kept the Ingersoll Rand 107XPA 3/8-inch Air Ratchet (made in China) that I ordered.
1111 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 12, 2018
I've had a cheap Husky impact for quite some time. It wasn't overly powerful so I was looking for something a bit better. I received an IR 2130 as a gift and was really looking forward to using it. I have borrowed a neighbor's old IR 231 several times for jobs my Husky just couldn't handle. So, I knew I wanted an IR impact. After trying out the 2130 on some lug nuts, it removed them with my large compressor but didn't knock them out near as quickly or easily as I was expecting. When trying to use the 2130 on my smaller compressor it wouldn't even touch the lug nuts. So, having used a 231c in the past, I thought I would pick up a 231c to compare to the 2130.

The 231c was able to fairly easily take off lug nuts on my F150 (150ft-lbs) even on a small portable compressor with a 1/4" line going to it. When hooked up to my big compressor with a 3/8" line it rips them right off effortlessly. This impact is heavy, loud and hits HARD! Compared to the 2130 it's much louder, slightly less ergonomic and seems to hit harder. But, I'm a weekend wrencher and enthusiast. I think the 2130 needs more air to really shine. If I was using it daily in an automotive environment I might lean towards the 2130 for most jobs and an Aircat for those really stubborn bolts. But, for what I use it for, the 231C will do the job well and if it's half as well-built as the old USA made ones will likely last me a lifetime.

Works quite well even on a limited air supply
With a good air supply really hits hard (Much better than my cheap husky and in my opinion better than the 2130)
Well built, feels like a tank, parts readily available
There's a reason they've made this same impact for 20+ years!

It's loud compared to other newer designs
Trigger seems to work well but the plastic feels cheap to me
Made in China (although it doesn't appear the the quality is any different than the older USA built impacts)

I did a lot of reasearch and looked at a lot of reviews. Ultimately I'm happy I went with the 231c. The 2130 is a good wrench but not what I was looking for. Hopefully this review helps someone decide which impact to buy!
on October 11, 2017
never performed satisfactorily. I have a strong 28-gal compressor with 125 PSI line pressure, so available pressure and volume are not the issue. Just doesn't live up to expectations. 1/2' battery impact from HF outperforms this.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 30, 2017
well this is the 5th impact I bought in the last 6 months I think this one is a keeper. Should bought this one first saved lot trouble with other brands little heavy but it has the power I was looking for one hit of the trigger you will know why mechanics brag this gun up.
review imagereview imagereview image
on August 7, 2017
Use it almost daily working on Jeeps. Have had this one for a couple years now without issue. The adjustable forward and reverse regulator is a great feature. I can crank it up to 125 psi to set crush sleeves on gear jobs (not recommended) and it hasn't hurt it one bit. Few drops of marvel mystery oil every week. I see no signs of it slowing down. I installed the rubber cover also which no doubt has protected it from shock abuse when knocked around on the concrete, it's worth the investment.
review image
on March 29, 2008
I'm a professional diesel mechanic, and I will not buy any other impact but this one. My first one lasted me for 10 years, through drops, kicks, no oiling, etc. I only don't have it anymore because I moved and sold it to a friend who still uses it. I have put this thing head to head with impacts 3 times the price of this one, and it has always been the strongest and most powerful. Most of the people in my last shop borrowed mine because it was the most powerful in the shop, and nearly everyone at my new shop has one. Buy it, you won't be disappointed.
11 comment| 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 28, 2017
Has worked great for changing from sumer to winter tires. Not the most torque but it's durable enough to toss around and not have to worry about. I use it in freezing temps as well as hot. The adjustment dial is kinda of wonky and is the only thing that i think could be improved but that would probaly make it more expensive and i don't use it enough to justify.
on May 15, 2015
Worked flawlessly for tearing the 1992 F350 Dually lug nuts off (145 ftlbs). Since then it has worked flawlessly for every task on that truck that requires rusted or stuck nuts/bolts removal.

DON'T cheap out and buy another brand or a cheaper product if you need to do actual work, this gun runs off my $100 Porter Cable 6gal compressor like it was a commercial shop grade one!

Tips: buy a boot from IR to protect this expensive gun. If you don't already know (like I didn't) make sure to increase your regulator above the 90PSI this tool recommends to compensate for pressure drop through your hose. Personally I set the regulator on the Porter Cable to ~120 and this tool gets between 90 and 100 PSI to it. Works excellent that way.

Comes so well oiled your hand will be ready for personal fun time after the job is done.
on March 5, 2017
this is the 2nd one of these I own. The first one is 20 years old now & still good.
I am glad to say the new one is as good of quality and power as the old one
on April 20, 2017
Reliable tool at a great price.