Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 88 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 115 reviews
on March 12, 2015
Excellent discovery and insight about integrating our subconscious with our consciousness. A path—for those who want to be fully awake and living a more thriving and integrated life.
on December 15, 2014
I'm very glad to have discovered this insightful and helpful book. In clear language, Johnson describes the unconscious and how to access it through dream analysis. I've found it an invaluable tool for increasing self-awareness.
on January 17, 2011
Having been fascinated with Brain Science podcast, in particular notions of impulse control: that make humans go farther than apes and afford keys to gain empathy so important for caring for aged so they don't withdraw because they are losing impulse control, I had been reading another difficult book.

What a relief to finish and at last get to this.

The introduction immediately engaged me with examples of people seeing behaviors coming out of themselves that surprised them as if there were another person inside taking over.

As I understand, we have a number of different repressed personalities that can break out which we surpress and disown most of the time. Active imagination has us have conversation with them so both of us change. This can release enormous psychological energy to us. Jung had these conversations to become a spirit guide.

Claude Steiner wrote of loss of impulse control as a stage toward empathy, a necessary stage, for men, as I recall, but can't document. Empathy for the shadow unleashes powerful spiritual forces, the watcher, a nonjudgemental entity that leaves one unattached ie. not identifying with harmful behaviors so one can heal from them without psychically dying. Carl Rogers, "On Becoming a Person", said such a capacity to listen and understand evidenced a person as irreversibly healed.

Empathy for oneself parallels empathy for others, so these powerful spiritual forces are for "the good".

Empathy doesn't mean homogenization: one understands without becoming though both get changed in active imagination. How this works, I'm going to try to find out in Johnson explaining how active imagination dialogs insure Jung's goal of individuation.
on May 9, 2017
Great book by a very wise counselor and author. Gives an excellent understanding of how we can understand what is going on in our dreams
on December 20, 2013
This is a great book for someone who wants to understand their dreams. It presents a Jungian approach to dream work that includes active imagination, associations, and a personal interpretation. You don't need a book of symbols--you are the book! (Well, that is, if you read this little book first and get the method....)
on December 23, 2012
It seems that after this book this author has written much on the subject of Jungian work but the majority appears to be a survey of ideas, unlike this book which is the heart of actually doing Jungian work. Since I'm becoming a clinical social worker I tend to read many books such as this one to know how the actually meat of many forms of therapy and inner work are carried out. Much out there is pure junk that loses my interest very quickly. This book is a joy to read through and the examples are very relevant. The author does not go off on tangents about personal anecdotes, something that tends to bore me with many authors.
I have had an interest in Jungian work but have found it very abstract and not as down to earth as many other forms of therapy or psychological work. This book takes you directly to the core of the two most important ways of Jungian work: dream work and active imagination. There are several other methods used in analytic work but these are the most fundamental. The four steps are accessible and simple to carry out.
As I have an interest in having at least a foot in Jungian ideas as a therapist this book will be invaluable for both my inner work and those of my future clients.
The only problem I find is that the Jungian school needs more of a place for body and emotive work to ground the abstract in direct present experience using methods such as: Gestalt methods, Gendlin's Focusing Technique, meditation and so on. Otherwise this is by far the most practical work by a Jungian that I have come across.
on February 11, 2013
As a student of psychology and now a therapist, I have found this book to be one of the most compelling and helpful works I've read. I first read it in Grad school for a course in Active Imagination. Between this book and the class, I had several personally powerful and transforming experiences. It's also been invaluable in my active imagination work with clients. Johnson advises that you work with a therapist experienced in active imagination and not "try this at home". The first part of the book teaches dreamwork and that you can do on your own.
on April 4, 2016
This book was a well introduction to the world of dreams. It gave some basic information about dreams and the connection to the unconscious. Interesting but a little dry for my reading taste and kind of repetitive in a way.
on April 7, 2017
Very helpful, step by step detailed, plenty of examples for the reader.recommend if interested in working with dreams.
on July 27, 2014
This book was recommended to me by someone who has done dreamwork with a small group for decades. She said it would be. a good beginning to understand some of the epic dreams I was experiencing with the writing of my own book. Something larger than life was happening and I wanted to understand and integrate it. Not only did this book give me practical and clear tools for dream interpretation, but also tools through the use of Active Imagination to deeply perpetuate my growing awareness and actively integrate my experience in the most beneficial ways. Of particular power for me was the ritual practice for anchoring the awareness that bubbles forth when invited.

I recommend this book to anyone who wishes to access the deeper knowing within each of us and live life fully, meaningfully and joyfully!