Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Dishonored - PC forum

Insane PC requirements

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 60 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 15, 2012, 6:23:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 15, 2012, 6:25:36 AM PDT
Christopher says:
Just read the requirements yesterday on RPGWatch (as posted by Bethblog).

Minimum Spec:

Processor: 3.0 GHz dual core or better
Memory: 4 GB system RAM
Hard Disk Space: 9 GB
Video Card: DirectX 9 compatible with 512 MB video RAM or better (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 / ATI Radeon HD 5850)
Sound: Windows compatible sound card

Enhanced for:
64-bit
multi-core

Recommended Spec:

Processor: 2.4 GHz quad core or better
Memory: 4 GB system RAM
Hard Disk Space: 9 GB
Video Card: DirectX 9 compatible with 768 MB video RAM or better (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 / ATI Radeon HD 5850)
Sound: Windows compatible sound card

So...requires Windows 7 or Vista, but only needs Directx9.
Requires a graphics card 460/5850 or better, but only 512 vram.
Some of these things are both crazy and contradictory.

Personally, I'm really disappointed, though I suppose it's my own fault. I have a good computer hardware-wise, but refuse to "upgrade" off of XP because so many of the games I still like to play won't run on Windows 7. Plus, the drivers to play with a PS3 controller on your PC don't work on Windows 7, either. Really, aside from some very recent games that state they don't work on Windows XP, I saw very little benefit in making the switch at all.

What really gets me is the fact that this is a current-gen console game, so somehow this crazy high-end PC game is going to supposedly run on a PS3 and Xbox 360. Either it's going to absolutely blow everyone away on the PC, or Bethesda has just decided to forget about optimizing on the PC end of things and, in so doing, forget many the fans that made their company great to begin with.

Posted on Aug 15, 2012, 1:03:12 PM PDT
Well I would have to say it is past time you upgrade to Windows 7. It is actually a really nice upgrade (unlike Vista). Not only can you get a 64bit system (more than 4GB of RAM usable) but there is some pretty nifty features in Windows 7 and overall it is a easy to use and well made OS.

I admit that I don't play a lot of old games these days, but I've been using Windows 7 for 3+ years and have yet to find a game that I can't get to run on my Windows 7 computer. So not sure if you've actually tried them out on Windows 7 and discovered they don't work. Just out of curiosity what games are you talking about?

Anywho, the system requirements are rather weird and high considering it is a game that runs on the Xbox. Maybe it isn't a great port? Guess if I get it I won't be able to max it as I have a 6870...

Posted on Aug 15, 2012, 2:16:39 PM PDT
Christopher says:
My husband's on Windows 7, and while he isn't as big a gamer as me and not as into older games, I know there were at least a few even not-THAT-old games that I tried to play multiplayer with him that we just couldn't get running on his system, even in compatibility mode. I also feel like I see complaints on games on Amazon all the time about games not running on a 64-bit operating system, or requiring quite a bit of messing around to get running on Windows 7, which just scares me off giving it a try pre-emptively. I never hear anyone say they couldn't get something working on XP. I know that, like I said, the PS3 controller flat out won't work on Windows 7; we tried on several occasions to get it going on my husband's computer and it simply won't. It's not a big deal, but as gamepads go, it's my personal preference, and something I like having on XP. I also really don't like the different file structure on Vista/7. I was trying to get my mother-in-law set up with custom items in The Sims 3, which they more or less *streamlined* in this version so that people could mod to their heart's content without having to go to great lengths as they did in previous editions, and it still took quite a bit more work and frustration than it did on my computer, largely because of the new, more convoluted and locked down file system. I've never screwed up a computer; I wish they'd trust me not to go in and format c: or something when given free and simple access to my hard drive.

Anyway... I really just didn't want to upgrade anytime soon, and if this game doesn't even require Directx11, I don't see why it should require Windows 7.

Posted on Aug 22, 2012, 6:07:56 AM PDT
zombiehater says:
I have windows xp and find it great but also sleeping dogs needs windows 7. So now thinking of upgrading because the support just isn't going to be there soon for games on xp. Pity though cause windows xp is great and I just know I'll have a headache trying to get all my drivers updated :(

Posted on Aug 22, 2012, 11:12:15 AM PDT
Eli Oliver says:
Time to upgrade. XP will only run up to directX 9. You want to run the newer games on directX 11 if possible. The difference in graphics is amazing when they make full use of directX 11.

Posted on Aug 26, 2012, 11:41:43 PM PDT
Eric DiPier says:
I was an XP user who refused to upgrade to Vista. In January I got a new PC and I decided to give Windows 7 a try. I'm very glad I did. There aren't as many compatibility issues as you might think, even with older games. (I got SimGolf and Railroad Tycoon 3 up and running in no time). And the good news is, any new game can be played with no questions asked. (Assuming you have a good video card as well).

I always recommend System Requirements Lab to see whether you can run a certain game or not.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx

Posted on Sep 7, 2012, 3:16:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2012, 3:16:47 PM PDT
JG says:
These aren't insane requirements really, you can get these specs without spending more than $600 if you build it yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012, 4:05:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2012, 4:16:44 PM PDT
Christopher says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2012, 11:19:12 PM PDT
Devin Sharp says:
so get a different PS3 type controller, theres plenty out there. I use an xbox 360 controller. no big deal.

Posted on Sep 11, 2012, 6:08:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 11, 2012, 6:22:27 AM PDT
B. Whelan says:
There's nothing insane about those requirements. If you are serious about gaming on the PC, I would say by now that you should at least have a GTX 460 or an ATI HD5850. Those cards are both about two years old now and priced decently. I'm still using an HD5850 and it has been able to handle practically everything I've thrown at it without breaking a sweat.

And your point about the PC version requiring significantly greater hardware when it runs just fine on 6 year old console systems is absolutely ridiculous! There is a REASON it requires greater hardware - because it's NOT, I repeat, NOT simply running as a direct console port to the PC. Arkane Studios has spent many hours out there on the stump stating that the PC version will be the superior version in every way and that it will NOT be a direct console port. It is optimized to run high-res textures and will be utilizing all of the latest graphics tech. So come on man, this isn't rocket science here. It's almost 2013 here and sooner or later, you're going to have to update.

And, "lousy port" and all (if it actually does turn out as you say it will), it will still be superior to the console iterations because of the modding community. When Skyrim was released, I agree, it was an incredibly shoddy port. But now, with what the PC community has been able to achieve - it is absolutely astounding and a beauty to behold. To have access to those capabilities should be reason enough in my book.

But hey, I don't know why any of us are stating the obvious if you're dead set on going out to purchase it for your console...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012, 10:13:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 18, 2012, 10:13:54 AM PDT
Techno T says:
You'd be surprised at how well Windows 7 does with drivers. In fact, on some machines Windows 7 will run better than Windows XP.

Posted on Sep 22, 2012, 12:18:14 AM PDT
Setup up a seperate partition and dual boot so you have the best of both worlds xp and 7

Posted on Sep 25, 2012, 2:42:23 PM PDT
Hate to break it to you, but these are not 'Insane' PC requirements. My rig from 5 years ago could have met these requirements.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012, 1:51:19 PM PDT
Ben says:
I agree with Trish. I won't be buying this game if it does not run on XP. I have tons of games I still play on XP and am not ready to upgrade only to play a game, as XP serves all my needs just fine. I guess by the time I do upgrade, this game will be bargin bin price. There is a reason most corporations are still running XP, the cost to upgrade give virtually no benefit.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012, 2:31:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2012, 2:34:39 PM PDT
B. Whelan says:
Virtually no benefit? I can give you two very useful benefits right off the bat: stability and driver support. Can't argue with those two.

Ironically, I was also very stubborn to upgrade from XP when Vista came out, so I waited until they released the first service pack and then I took the leap of faith. In hindsight, it was the best thing I ever did. Now I'm running 7 and it suits me just fine, despite it being an incremental improvement over Vista. But sooner or later the cost to benefit ratio becomes a moot point. So while you're choosing to miss out on current gen games and technology, the clock keeps on ticking. And I don't think I'm the only one here that believes this, but I don't find it ridiculous in the least if a company decides to forego support of an OS that's nearly 11 years old!

In fact, an easy solution to your issue, as suggested by Mr. Ogborne, would be to install separate partitions and dual boot. Voila! You'd immediately have the best of both worlds without having to cave on your love for XP.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012, 9:50:57 PM PDT
Ben says:
Setting up two partitions would be a way to have it, true, as my sysyem meets more than min specs except for the OS. But again not currently worth the expense to me to buy not only Win 7, but also a new larger hard drive. Eventually I will upgrade, but won't let a video game drive that decision. Just also found out the new remake of X-COM does not support XP, that also will be hard to take as the the old DOS version of X-COM was one of my favs and just played it through again last month using DOSBOX. As for my comments about many corporations still not upgrading from XP, that does make sense as working people are not playing games on the job, at least most are not.... As for your comment about stability and driver support, I have never had any problems with gaming on XP and it has been more stable than any OS I have had since DOS.

Posted on Sep 28, 2012, 11:34:10 AM PDT
Xander says:
I think people should stop being afraid to get off of XP. Its crap compared to 7. I run tons of old games just fine and not just gog.com. Its only 1 out of 100 games I have a issue with, and thats when Windows 7 XP Mode comes in handy.

Posted on Sep 29, 2012, 2:51:37 AM PDT
Eric DiPier says:
I absolutely loved XP. I refused to "upgrade" to the piece of...well, you know...that was Vista. No way in hell. But then Windows 7 came out and it was difficult to buy a new PC without it, so I gave it a shot. It's pretty awesome. As an XP fan, I can heartily recommend Windows 7. I have yet to experience any game that wouldn't run on Windows 7. SimGolf? Runs just fine. Railroad Tycoon 3? Runs just fine. Original Zoo Tycoon? Runs just fine. And that's three very old games right there, I think RT3 is the most recent of those and it came out in 2003.

I also have Sims 3 and I've never had trouble with custom items and folders or whatever. But your mileage may vary I suppose.

Definitely looking forward to Dishonored!

Posted on Sep 30, 2012, 9:25:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2012, 9:29:19 PM PDT
JCS says:
I try to stay away from pointless discussions but this time I couldn't resist.

Dear OP,

First of all, Windows XP is an ancient operating system that won't even properly handle some of the relatively new hardware (quad cores, large amounts of RAM, etc.). I am a GNU/Linux person and I usually detest most of Microsoft's products, but I use Windows 7 for gaming and I have to say it is actually *decent*. If you have relatively new hardware, it's also your only option. And as far as PC games go, I have no idea what games you might be referring to that won't run under Win 7. If it's old/classic games you are talking about, you shouldn't even be running them without something like DOSBox to begin with. If it's Windows 95/98/Me/2k era games, there are plenty of patches that make them playable. Trust me, I love classic PC games and just recently replayed games like Fallout 1 & 2, Baldur's Gate II, Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil, etc... (from GOG.com) in my Win 7 with ZERO issues. Worst case scenario, run Win XP in a Virtual Machine (like Virtual Box) and problem solved.

Regarding the PS3 controller, I do in fact use a PS3 controller in Win 7 and have used it in many games. Again, no issues. I use a software called MotionInJoy in case you are wondering.

And that's all.

Posted on Oct 1, 2012, 12:00:15 PM PDT
Ben says:
JSC, you perhaps should have stayed away.

XP will handle quad cores just fine, I have one. You are right that it is limited in memory, I have 4 Gigs installed but only around 3 Gigs is recognized. XP will also handle any new SATA HD just fine after the proper drivers are installed. For me as I stated, its not a matter of whether Win 7 will run XP games or not, its the expense I don't need at this time. For your information, Win 7 Home has many problems running XP games, just try a google search. You need to pay the premium cost for Win 7 Professional or Ultimate to get the free download of the XP emulator. Like you, I think Windows is okay, I have in my younger working years used Unix, Linux, Sun Unix, VXworks, etc. I've been using and programming computers since the mid 70's But I'm usually one of the last to upgrade my Windows. I've even programmed in COBAL, which many novices have not even heard of....haha. Whats funny is I'm still using Office 97 on my XP, runs just fine. Not everyone needs the newest most expensive OS today. My son is a director in a major fortune 50 company that are still using XP.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012, 12:19:28 PM PDT
JG says:
Hmm, maybe you could upgrade to Win 8? You can do so for $40 for online download when it launches on the 26th. I don't much like the tile interface tbh, but I may buy it in case they release an option for the desktop I'm used to. *shrug*

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012, 7:01:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2012, 8:02:55 AM PDT
H.Le says:
Trish,

It's obvious you are already leaning that way, but I'll add my recommendation *not* to upgrade to Win7 - especially when you aready have a Win7 PC in your household.

I am running Win7, Win Vista and WinXP (and also Win98 if you must know), and can also add my experience to yours that WinXP is more compatible with older games released in the 90s - which I still play. Not only that, with the sole exception of one game: Just Cause 2 - which is specifically designed not to run on XP - every new game I run on Win7 can also be ran on XP.

In short, keep your XP if you are still buying old games like I do -- And even when you decide to get Win7, consider dual booting instead of installing 7 over XP.

As for the system requirement of this game, I agree that it is high; but then again, it's about time for games to match up to hardwares. And this game is roughly equal to Skyrim's, which is about right IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012, 7:25:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2012, 7:31:05 AM PDT
H.Le says:
JG,

Since I have a great deal coming on Windows 8 for $20 (if you bought a PC or laptop this year with Win7), I will most likely upgrade my Vista to Win8 - since my Vista is collecting dust anyway.

However, for those who do not have more than 1 PC, my recommendation is to hold off on the upgrade to Win8 until the beta testing phase is completed. With MS, beta testing is not really done until approximately 2 months after Customers actually get their hands on the product - remember Vista and ME (that's Millenium Edition for those who don't remember).

Posted on Oct 4, 2012, 9:19:12 AM PDT
Christopher says:
The dual boot idea might be worth looking into and wasn't something I'd considered before. The "insane" requirements isn't so much the hardware itself, like I said, but that they don't really make sense. My computer meets those hardware requirements. I just don't have Windows 7. I don't understand why Windows 7 would even be required when the game doesn't even use DirectX 11 or require quad cores or RAM above what XP can handle, or anything else. XP could completely handle all of these other requirements. Yeah, they're about comparable to Skyrim's. I played Skyrim on the highest settings. Sure, since I don't have DirectX 11, I'm sure it wasn't as beautiful as everyone else's, but my computer had no trouble handling it just the same. What bothers me is that it's artificially and seemingly arbitrarily requiring something from PC users when the consoles haven't stepped up in hardware OR software in all of this time. I did read recently that Bethesda has come out and say that this game will actually run on XP, but some blah de blah about the reason they didn't say so was something to do with "drivers". Wha? I'm not sure what they're referring to; the companies that manufactured my hardware still support and update their drivers for them (as of having installed new ones just prior to playing Borderlands 2 a couple of weeks ago) so I'm not sure what that was about. Either it was vague or I was tired when I read it. But that was apparently the logic.

Posted on Oct 4, 2012, 4:40:46 PM PDT
Ben says:
I'm not so much into a beautiful graphic games as I am into the story line and fun/challenge to play it. If fact I recently downloaded from Amazon, Gothic 2 Gold, an older games and having lots of fun with it. With Dishonored and the remake of X-COM not supporting Win XP users, the developers have effectively shut out thousands of potential purchasers. Especially in other countries too, that traditionally have lagged behind in upgrading to new versions of Windows. Like Trish, my computer exceeds all requirements to play the games with the exception of the OS.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Dishonored - PC forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  60
Initial post:  Aug 15, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

This discussion is about
Dishonored - PC
Dishonored - PC by Bethesda Softworks (Windows 7 / Vista)
4.3 out of 5 stars (387)