BCA Month Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment TNF TNF TNF  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

From the Inside Out: Radical Gender Transformation, FTM and Beyond
Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 10 reviews(5 star). See all 12 reviews
on June 5, 2016
I'm so glad I bought it, because it made me feel that much less alone in the world.. Extremely beautiful, and I'm pleased how many of the entries were from the viewpoint of being gay/men attracted men. There is such a lack of attention paid to trans men who love other men and it was part of why I thought I couldn't be trans for so long. This is a very diverse collection of writing though- there are non-binary authors, multiple authors of color, disabled authors, speaking on many issues of identity and life. I would definitely recommend this.

A lot of the writing has thoughtful exploration of the gender binary and living within or outside it as a trans man or nonbinary person. I would really recommend anyone who identifies with those identities to look through this.
on September 28, 2013
This is definitely for FtM guys in the midst of transition who need to hear from those who have been down this path, and a few other paths maybe they haven't heard of before! Beautiful writing, clear and supportive in tone.
on August 30, 2013
I loved this book. It's a collection of essays written by various bigendered and trans people, but for once there are many transmen stories. It's nice for people to be able to read about others facing their own issues, feel comfort in shared experiences.
on July 22, 2006
Once again, transgender writers prove to be at the cutting-edge of radical queer theory. In this thought-provoking anthology of essays and poetry, these young, diverse FTM transgender activists destabilize the gender binary and challenge us all to question what it means to be male, female, third gender, no gender, or something else entirely! While all the writings in this book are wonderful, I especially enjoyed the brilliant essays by Dean Spade and Matt Kailey! As gender regulation plays a crucial role in maintaining this oppressive system of capitalism, patriarchy and white supremacy, the implications of this book are far-reaching and revolutionary.
on January 28, 2015
Great resource for a hopeful transitioner.
on July 21, 2012
I am called Dad by many of the members of ChristianGays.com and some of those members are FTM so this book helped me to understand better what each one was going through.
on November 14, 2014
Awesome
on April 16, 2008
This book was the first one that actually spoke to me about the human experience. There is too much written about case studies and speculation and heartbreakingly too little on writing that makes it real.

The sacrifices that we make in order to be who we feel are real. This world is real to me and so many others. Coming from the wife of an FTM who is just beginning the transition process, I have found little support. I have felt very alone. This book made me realize that I am not alone. I sat sobbing over many of the pieces and came out the other side empowered and ready for anything.
I have given speeches and lead classes regarding gender studies and have used this book over and over again. It speaks to people who have never seen this world and shows it to them in a way that isn't obscure.

We all say knowledge is power. But this book offers a subtitle.
You don't have to understand, you just have to believe.

I passionately recommend this book in the way the editor does.
"To all who have ever said, 'This doesn't work for me', and stepped out of the clutches of what society deems right; your liberation is meaningful to all of us."
This book is for everyone.
on November 9, 2008
thanks for sending me this book in such a timely manner. It's a great book at a great price, and I'd highly recommend it to most everyone.
The stories in this book are very intense, thought-provoking, and very heart-felt, obviously as they are personal and private from the people who wrote them.
on January 14, 2006
The negative review clearly comes from someone who didn't read this book thoroughly. There are some impressive insights, rare viewpoints and perspectives, and eloquent personal narratives.