From the Back Cover
"This is a really good book ... it spells out the motherhood and apple pie of information security in a highly readable way."
—Warwick Ford, CTO, VeriSign, Inc.
"An excellent security read! Breaks down a complex concept into a simple and easy-to-understand concept."
—Vivek Shivananda, President
- Redefine your organization's information security
- Learn to think and act like a top security guru!
- Understand the founding principles of security itself and make better decisions
- Make your security solutions more effective, easily manageable, and less costly!
In Inside the Security Mind: Making the Tough Decisions, security expert Kevin Day teaches you how to approach information security the way the top gurus do—as an art, rather than a collection of technologies. By applying this discipline, your solutions will be more secure and less burdensome in time, expense, and effort. The first part of the book explains the practice of breaking security decisions down into a set of simple rules. These rules may then be applied to make solid security decisions in almost any environment. In the second part, Day uses a series of practical examples to illustrate exactly how the discipline works in practice. Additional material covers:
- Designing an enterprise security plan, including perimeter/firewall and Internal defenses, application, system, and hardware security
- Ongoing security measures—recurring audits, vulnerability maintenance, logging and monitoring, and incident response, plus risk assessment
- Choosing between open source and proprietary solutions; and wired, wireless, and virtual private networks
This book is essential reading for anyone working to keep information secure. Technical and non-technical IT professionals alike can apply Day's concepts and strategies to become security gurus, while seasoned practitioners will benefit from the unique and effective presentation of the essential security practices.
About the Author
KEVIN DAY is a CISSP and has worked as the lead security engineer and security practice manager fora major East Coast consulting firm. In these positions, Day worked on a series of high-profileprojects for Fortune 500 companies and government organizations. He is the founder of theRelational Security Corporation and currently heads up a joint venture developing new tools andmethodologies security risk assessment and auditing.