Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Inside World War Ii
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

on June 19, 2013
I taped this on NatGeo and watched it twice. Once by myself and again with my mother who was born during the war years. I thought I knew quite a bit about World War II, but nothing to this extent. This program features the war from beginning to end in chronological order, following each battle as it happened, switching from the German front, to the Allied Forces, to the Japanese. I appreciated that because it really gave me a good idea of what really happened.

The program is very graphic. I sometimes had to look away and some of the things they tell you (many veterans and survivors speak in this film) made me sick. However, it should make you sick, all of it. It should also make your proud of the soldiers who fought to win this war (and not just the USA, but all of the Allied Forces). I feel that if the USA had entered the war sooner, it would have ended sooner, but we'll never know.

All the images and footage are real, no re-enactments. The veterans are brutally honest and often graphic. The pictures don't hide anything, literally. There is only a smart part on the Holocaust, which is fine, as there are many, many documentaries and books just on that subject alone. I have been to the Holocaust Museum in D.C. and I learned a lot there, so I knew going into this documentary what that was all about. However, for anyone just learning, I think a little more information could have been provided about the Holocaust. However, if you've been through Junior High, you've read Anne Frank's Diary and have a general idea of what that was all about.

This doesn't include everything, I think it would take a lot longer than 3 hours to do so. However, if you have at least a basic knowledge of WWII history, it covers enough. It does not however cover the various smaller attacks on Australia, which surprised me. That was after all part of the war, why was it not included?

Either way, I'll be adding this to my collection and hope to find more documentaries as good as this one to build upon all the information garnered from this documentary. I've seen many informative documentaries about Hitler and the Holocaust on NatGeo, so keep an eye out for them if you want something more centered just on Germany/Hitler or on the horrors of the Holocaust. There are also a lot of books on both subjects that go into great detail. This is a basic overall look at how the war played out.
on July 5, 2013
These actual combat films bring home the true reality of armed combat. There isn't anything glamorous about it, it's kill or be killed by your'e enemy. There were certainly acts of great bravery performed during WW11, but most of the actions were performed by ordinary frightened men, who were ordered to do a job. These men suffered greatly during this conflict, many came totally changed, never to be the same men who left to fight the war. THese films are important, because they show our history, be it good or bad. I think it is important to preserve these films for future generations, so they understand this era in our history. The authors did a fine job in putting this dvd together. I would recommend it to students of WW11. JRV
on June 11, 2013
Just finished watching this show on NatGeo channel. What a great documentary. To me WWI in Color and this documentary are the two best videos on both wars. This is similar to WWI in Color in that it uses living veterans (many of whom are mentioned in Band of Brothers) to tell their story. I really like the way this film is organized. Easy to follow and the maps and explanations show how massive this war was. I have read many, many books on WWII and seen countless videos - this one ranks as one of the bests. It is long but too me, not long enough. Very touching, dramatic, surreal and horrible at the same time. I am putting this video on my wishlist hoping that one day I will get it for Father's Day, Christmas or any celebration (or if I can scrape up the bucks, which, by the way, is a really good price). All the major battle are covered but this film does not get bogged down with military strategy with hard-to-understand maps with arrows. There are some but they work with the film. There is a lot in this documentary that I have not seen or heard before. One interesting tidbit is that when Allied forces were in England it was an enlisted person who figured a way to attach a device on the front of a tank to plow through the hedgerows (they called it a rhino). Highly recommend this documentary.
on June 2, 2013
Just caught this on National Geographic channel, and immediately hopped onto Amazon to look it up. Of course, I can't speak for the DVD quality (as it hasn't been released yet), but as for the content this is a well-done start-to-finish encapsulation of a very complex and eventful (and IMPORTANT!) war. It includes lots of footage, presents the major events chronologically and in a realistic manner (i.e., no PC spinning/weighting). For those newly discovering WWII, the enormity of the war and what winning and losing would've meant for America and the future of the world is well-represented and portrayed. Included are many tales told by (strikingly modest) war heroes, lots of sadness and loss, conflicting emotions, and difficult decisions amidst the horrors of war, culminating in the sheer elation having been victorious over tyrants and maniacal regimes bent on ruling the world. Unlike many documentaries that cover a specific battle or player in the war, there are very few, if any, dull moments in "Inside WWII". Being relatively short and concise, this would make a great introduction to a really important milestone in American history for high school students. I've pre-ordered the DVD to have for my kids when they reach the appropriate viewing age. Highly recommended.
on January 20, 2015
We should never forget WWII. Nowadays the youth is too busy playing with their toys and really not understanding what occurred in our past that could again arise. Let's hope we never have another world war.
on April 11, 2016
"Shocking” may be the best single adjective to use for this abomination, because it contains twenty part of shock for every one part of useful information. But the over–the–top, insensitive exploitation of images of carnage is not my primary complaint.

My primary complaint is that this program possesses nearly zero educational value. Enormously important historical events are “covered” in one or two sentences with zero context. The supremely important subject of the rise of Nazism, for instance, is given a mere superficial gloss which fails to even comment on the conditions that contributed to the rise of the horror of Nazism. Nor is there anything approaching an intelligent discussion of such major events as the German annexation of Austria or the green-lighting of Germany’s incursion into the Czech Sudetenland at the Munich conference of 1938. As for the German–Soviet nonaggression pact, the narration ludicrously states that Germany and the Soviet Union “joined forces,” implying a military partnership. In fact the pact was a matter of convenience between two enemies who knew they would eventually fight each other.

Instead of thoughtful, information–based narratives, we are given rapid cuts in music video style with pounding background music meant to shock. Kids should not see this, nor anyone who has been a kid.

I bought this because of my faith in the Nat Geo brand. Their “America Before Columbus,” for instance, is an outstanding historical documentary. However, this dreck has cut into my trust of the brand. I’ll be far more circumspect before clicking “Buy” on a Nat Geo history doc next time.
VINE VOICEon August 13, 2013
This documentary produced by National Geographic highlights the important historical events of World War II from 1939 to 1945. Most of the documentary is combat footage from the European and Pacific theaters of the war. It does an outstanding job of the intensity of combat and how the Allies were able to stop the evil empires of NAZI Germany and Imperial Japan and Facist Italy. With millions of casualties World War II was the biggest and most destructive war in history and after watching this DVD I can understand how intense it was over the six years it was fought.
on November 30, 2015
This DVD is awesome. Lots of great videography about WWII. My Uncle loved this. I was pleased to receive this on time and packaged safely. I would highly recommend this DVD to anyone who loves history.
on June 28, 2014
This is what true history looks like. Very well done. A little graphic, but that's what war is. Watched with my Dad on Father's day and I learned so much about what he did for our Country. Opened up a great dialog.
on August 24, 2013
There is nothing in this DVD that hasn't been seen before. It is way to short. They try to give you a 5 year history in 2 hours. Save your money. There are much better DVDs out there e.g. BBC History of WWII, WWII in HD, The World At War (11 volumes). The World at War is without doubt the single best history of WWII. Forget Inside WWII, there are many others out there which are much better.