BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Chris young $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition $79.99. Limited-time offer. All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

VINE VOICEon October 9, 2017
This was a fun thriller. Very few thriller/horror films are as good as the classics, but this one is pretty enjoyable and up there for a modern day scary flick. I'd even go as far as saying that it's better than the first Insidious. The first one is good, but the first half was super slow before anything really happens as it's spending time setting up the story and the characters. Whereas this sequel immediately gets to it right away taking you on a wonder thrill ride until the end. Patrick Wilson who plays the husband does a terrific job at playing a dual character in this. Rose Byrne plays more of a basket case whose been dragged through the ringer. They do a decent job at being convincing. I love it when filmmakers of scary films actually cast accomplished actors. Lots more jumps and scares in this one over the first, but you do kind of need to see the first one before this as it's a continuation. There are quite a number of references to the first that will be confusing if you're only seeing this one. Although there are some ridiculous silly moments or cliche dialogue in this here and there, but overall this is a good movie with good actors who know how to elevate the material.
on January 11, 2014
loved this movie. Loved it, loved it, loved it. James Wan is one of the best directors of recent times and he makes his stand by offering two awesome horror movies this year. I personally preferred Insidious 2 though, as I appreciated the rich character development and the concept of the Further. There are clear references to The Shining and Psycho but this movie leaves its own mark of disturbing. Of course it's always great to add some light humor in between to dilute the scares (as they REALLY packed a punch in this second installment). So if you're kind of doubting the movie based on its bad rep, don't listen to the negative comments/reviews as this is easily one of the best movies this year. Everyone did a phenomenal job and the end product turned out a lot more satisfying than I expected.
on December 31, 2013
I noticed that quite a few people 1-starred this movie because the amazon player didn't work for them.

Just remember that you're not rating Amazon's video player, you're rating the movie.

Insidious Chapter 2 is fantastic! Not as terrifying as the first (I mean hey, it's a sequel), but it does much to explain things from the first movie. Things such as why the ghost following the father around is some ancient-looking woman (in the first movie you think to yourself, "Wow, that crazy hag must've been an evil ghost for centuries," but you learn the truth in this movie), as well as what happened to the family after the first movie's chilling final scene.

Definitely worth a rent! But maybe if you want to "own" it, you should get a hard copy (DVD/blu ray). You don't want to dish out 12.99 and then throw a fit and 1-star this movie because your browser/computer/internet provider can't support the amazon player. ;)
on April 4, 2017
Excellent. I have watched it several times. The Insidious movies are some of the best out there.
on January 16, 2014
I will say that I liked this Insidious better than the first one. The first one I found to be very hokey and disappointing. Why would I watch this one? I was bored and I figured I'd watch it just to watch it. I am running out of inexpensive flicks to watch. I think this was worth my few dollars to rent. TLDR for below: I didn't hate it. I would say watch it if you're running out of other scare films to watch.

What I didn't like:
*Over-used scare tactics - how many times do I have to see a scare film with people terrified of flickering lights, clothes in a closet or a toy rolling around on the floor? These things occur in my house often. I am pretty darned sure my house is not haunted.
*The story was still "hole-ridden" in that there were things that didn't make sense. I know it's fiction, but fiction can still have its own physics and rules with far fewer swiss cheese story. I'll leave out specifics for less spoilers.
*I would have liked more back-story on the main antagonist. There seems to be more than one, but I'm not sure. The ending clearly indicates another movie, but this one didn't do a lot of explaining of the current antagonist. Nor why the previous antagonist was involved. Part of the hole-ridden story I guess.

What I did like:
*I did think the story and acting improved from the first movie. I like Rose Byrne in these movies. She makes it feel less cheesy. I empathize easily with her and feel most of her actions make sense. Both kudos to her acting and maybe a bit of the story for her character.
*It was interesting to have the movie start almost immediately where it ended from the previous movie. I'm not a huge move-watcher, so maybe this is done a lot, but it isn't something I have come across in the thriller/scare films I watch.
*I actually liked the ending. The first film kind of ticked me off with the ending. The whole last 20 minutes or so seemed out of place. This one felt a little better. At least it wasn't worse than the first. Some people compared this to The Conjuring saying that The Conjuring was as bad or worse. I actually think The Conjuring was better. Go watch that first if you haven't!
VINE VOICEon February 11, 2014
On some levels, this film is a pretty decent sequel of Insidious in that it begins basically where the first one left off and much of the plot is derived directly from the first film. Also, in many respects, the actors do a solid job in the film and there is a sense of foreboding and mystery surrounding certain plot elements. However, as it is with sequels, this one is not quite as good as the original film and fails to be as engaging. I think that the first one, while not totally an original concept, kept us quite “in the dark” as to the many spooks, scares and twists.

Insidious 2 does have some moments of intense mood and atmosphere. In fact, this is one of James Wan’s biggest strengths as a director, he shows rather than tells, and never uses “gore” as a substitute for true horror. Horror directors could take a clue from him: he, for the most part, tries to steer away from horror film ploys, and basic lame scary clichés. However, there are moments where this rule is broken and we can see the scare a mile away (the door slowly creaking and opening as the strange mist and smoke emits from underneath….). There are moments of implied gore, which happens off screen.

Probably the biggest problem with this “chapter” of Insidious is that the plot gets way, way too silly and convoluted, to the point where we basically know they are setting up the third installment of the film. It’s not bad as long as the film doesn’t waver off into the usual sequel awfulness, but let’s hope it doesn’t. Still, Insidious 2 isn’t a bad horror film per se. It definitely has suspenseful moments, and some genuinely creepy moments, and doesn’t take the nosedive that many sequels take from original to second film.
on January 13, 2014
I thought it was a pretty good movie. They tied it into the first film in pretty creative ways... it was pretty creepy at times too. I really can't complain about anything other than the flashback when they dubbed Lin Shaye (Elise)'s voice over the actress playing young Lin Shaye. You see a young 25-30 year old woman but hear the voice of woman who is 70... doesn't sound very natural (or believable) plus her lips don't completely match up the entire time. Also, I'm not sure if it was fake or not, but the guy playing young Steve Coulter(Carl) had an extremely fake-looking beard. Like... so fake that it looks like part of a cheesy Halloween costume.

I had 100% expected to find out that this was a "movie within a movie" type of thing. Like in the "Scream" sequels when they where filming the movie "Stab", based on the character's story from "Scream." When I slowly started to realize that this was NOT the case and the director had expected us to overlook how terrible of a job they did on this portion of the film... I was pretty disappointed... I started to think "Holy crap... they really dropped the ball here..." and they DID really drop the ball... but the rest of the film was good enough for me to still admit that I really did like it, and I'll give it 4 stars.

It's worth watching so long as you can ignore the crappy voice overs.
on December 3, 2016
It is a rather good sequel, as far as sequels go. It has its good/high points -- where there seems to be a Lynchian and Abramsesque quality, which I like very much, but it does not push the proverbial envelope -- not doesn't rise to L's or A's directorial genius. At times, the movie becomes a complex tale, but this is unraveled and made simplistic -- to placate the "average" viewer? I do recommend watching this, as it is good. And, I must note, the ending makes the mundane parts worth it, and it makes you crave for another Insidious.
on January 13, 2014
It's always a risk to watch a second movie! I am impressed that this one was so well done.

I have been disappointed with other sequels and was a bit hesitant to rent this, but am happy to report it was well done!

The crew did a great job of offering a better explanation of the first movies events, without spoon feeding the plot to you.

It seems to be difficult for series of this sort to continue without either offering up a really off the wall, "what the heck", explanation, or spending an awful lot of time with over explaining. I will give credit where its due! This movie felt more like a fresh exploration of events that tied in with the first movie, even though it is basically happening right after the first one.

The spirits are still creepy! The characters are convincingly terrified!

I am impressed that the assistants from the first movie are so well done and though there is not much background on them given, I really feel they are great characters! I am really getting attached to them, and look forward to more of their exploits and investigations. I hope the lead in to the next movie, starring them, is as good as the little preview at the end implies! Looking forward to it!
on December 30, 2013
A great sequel, prequel, or in this case chapter should stand alone. You should be able to watch it and have some sense of the movie it's connected to. You should expect that it will be just as entertaining as its predecessor. Insidious: Chapter 2 fell short on both. The twists and turns of IC2 were so screwy, I found myself bumping into its dark places with nary a flinching of horror, only a wincing of pain. The creaky, busted rooms, broken boards, rotting skin, dusty apparitions, muddled flashbacks, and flashbacks of flashbacks so cluttered the story, that by the middle of the movie I was pushing through the detritus hoping I wouldn’t get stuck there never to make it to the end. I have this horrible sense that if I continue to pick at the problems with the storyline, I might end up halfway understanding where the writers were trying to take it. Should that happen, I may get sucked into what looks to come another chapter down the road. To be honest, I’m really mad; scared that I’m going to scream; fearful that I’ll give up watching horror movies altogether--I had so been looking forward to Insidious: Chapter 2. Could it really have been that bad? Yes, I’m afraid it was.