Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Nyko Power Pak+ for 3DS forum

Installation Tips--Possible Streetpass Glitch & How to Avoid It

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 20, 2011, 9:09:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 20, 2011, 9:47:13 AM PDT
Phew, well, I can report successful installation of the Nyko Power Pak + on both my 3DS and my son's 3DS last night. I was a little worried, as there is apparently a glitch that can crop up during installation, which can make it impossible to tag other 3DS systems that you've previously tagged with Streetpass and also (I believe) can cause you to lose progress in your Streetpass games. Luckily, I had seen this mentioned before I put the Power Pak + on our systems, and the recommended solution seems to work. I thought I'd pass it along here, in case others plan on installing the PP+ to double their battery life:

For starters, make sure you have everything you need handy before you begin installation. First, you need a good set of precision screwdrivers (it'll take a very small Phillips and the dinky one included with the Power Pak + is a piece of $#!+ that nearly caused me to strip two of the screws in my 3DS). Second, you might find it helpful to have some packaging tape or other strong tape, so that you can make a little tab for yourself on the 3DS battery, to make removing it as quick and easily as possible. Third, be sure to have the Power Pak + out of its packaging and ready to go. Fourth, have your 3DS directly plugged into the AC cord (honestly not sure this helped, but it was recommended and I did it). Fifth, be sure to read the instruction manual with the PP+ for pointers on how to install it before hand, so there won't be any surprises.

Once you're all ready to go, remove the back of your 3DS case, put the tape on the battery, remove it swiftly, and then replace it with the Power Pak + within 10 seconds. The 10 second deadline is the key. Even directly connected to the power supply, when you remove the 3DS battery, it will power the system off. If you do not replace the battery within 10 seconds, the internal clock will reset, and you will apparently encounter the widely reported glitch that I described above (inability to tag people you've previously tagged in Streetpass and loss of Streetpass progress). Once you've got the PP+ settled into its spot to restore battery power, you can take your time screwing it on properly.

Voila! :)

If you haven't tagged many people or done much with the built-in Streetpass software, this might not be a big issue for you. But, if you have a multiple 3DS household or friends/family with a 3DS, this could create a big problem, so I thought I'd mention it. I can confirm that our systems have now successfully tagged each other, since the installation of the PP+.

I hope everyone else is still enjoying their 3DS experiences! :)

Posted on Apr 20, 2011, 9:21:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 20, 2011, 9:47:03 AM PDT
Btw, I have to say that the Power Pak + actually improves the feel of the 3DS, IMHO, and it looks pretty good on both the Cosmo Black (which I have) and the Aqua Blue 3DS (which my son has). The Power Pak + has a kind of soft texture that feels great, and I think the finger grips and smoother shape will actually reduce hand cramp for extended sessions. From all of the reports I'm reading, you can expect 7 1/2 hours on 3DS games with level 4 brightness, and up to 10 hours for 3DS games at lower brightness levels. You can expect 10 hours on DS games at level 4 brightness, and up to 16 hours at lower brightness levels.

Posted on Apr 26, 2011, 11:46:22 PM PDT
God says:
Wow, glad I read this before installing. I followed your steps, and it all worked perfectly. Thanks for the info!

Posted on Apr 28, 2011, 1:18:29 AM PDT
Misty L. says:
Classic~did you just get the battery pack or the charging base too? I saw both at Best Buy when I got my 3DS, but wasn't sure if the charging base was worth another $10. My 3DS is charging now...I'm so excited :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2011, 1:24:26 AM PDT
I actually bought the set with the Charge Base because it was all my Gamestop had in stock back when I got it a couple of weeks ago. If I'd had the choice, I would have done with just the battery pack, but since we're taking a trip this coming week, I wanted to be sure we had them all installed, charged, and ready to go ahead of time. We never wind up using docks.

Anyway, congrats on your 3DS, d-back! What game(s) did you get? Since you liked Jeanne d'Arc for the PSP, I think you might enjoy Ghost Recon. It's my favorite so far. I'm really loving the 3DS, and I look forward to hearing your impressions! :)

Posted on May 1, 2011, 1:58:29 AM PDT
Misty L. says:
Classic~I actually haven't gotten any games yet; just been playing the AR games (still fun!). Is Ghost Recon a RPG? I just assumed it was a FPS which I suck at so I didn't buy it. Rabbids Travel in Time intrigues me, but not $40 intrigues me. I was going to get Zelda since I never played the N64 version and there was a game coming out end of August I think that I can't remember the name to that I was interested in also. I couldn't find it on Amazon either...something about knights I think. Plenty of time to figure it out ;) CTA has an external battery charger/battery thingie that you don't have to replace the 3DS battery to use. So far only one review, but I may end up getting that one instead....http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Power-Battery-Pack-Nintendo-3DS/dp/B004REJZLA/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3M9NT0KN7PN8K&colid=1POJGLLSO4WEV.

So far I love the 3DS and my dad said I was embarrassing him today at lunch when we were waiting for our food and I was trying to defeat the dragon and moving the 3DS all around trying to hit it. :) Hee hee....

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2011, 4:10:42 AM PDT
D-back, Yeah, I thought it was an FPS at first too (and I do not play/enjoy many of those), until I started reading some of the early reviews before release. As it turns out, Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars is a turn-based strategy game, and it's really a lot of fun. I'm very excited about OoT this summer, and there are a bunch of games that I'm looking forward to during July, August, and September: James Noir's Hollywood Crimes Cave Story 3D - Nintendo 3DS Doctor Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights - Nintendo 3DS and Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked - Nintendo 3DS

LOL about fighting dragons at lunch. ;) My 3yo and I haven't actually played with the AR stuff too much so far. I've sampled it a bit, but I'm mostly saving it to explore more with the little guy during our plane ride this coming week. Have you played with the StreetPass stuff much yet? Find Mii is a really fun mini-RPG that allows you to collect hats for your StreetPass Mii, though I've now beaten it twice and collected all of the hats. I may give it another spin to see if there are any other unknown easter eggs along the way. I'm still collecting a bunch of pieces for Puzzle Swap, and I think that will last a long, long time. :)

Posted on May 1, 2011, 10:48:19 PM PDT
Misty L. says:
Classic~well that's what I get for making assumptions!! I may head over to Best Buy tomorrow then and pick up a copy since I have a gift card. The Doctor Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights game is the one I was thinking about...I thought it came out earlier than Sept. 30th though. :( The SMT game intrigues me too. I may have to wait for an awesome sale though because I really balk at $40 for a portable game...I don't pay that for PSP games either.

The AR games may be difficult on a plane because you really need ample light to play. I "lost" the card several times and I had the whole table to use, not the little tabletop tray. I haven't done any StreePass stuff yet...I've actually barely had time to mess with my 3DS. I've got finals coming up, was picked for a jury for a trial that was slated to last a month! (I'm two weeks in...ug) and baseball season has started so little free time right now. My final is May 10th so May 11th, I may spend ALL day playing :) :) well...after jury duty...

Posted on Jun 23, 2011, 12:05:41 AM PDT
JDW says:
I love you both so much. I just wanted to say that. Thanks for the installation tips. My brother also has a 3DS, and I would have been upset if I would have been kept from Streetpassing with him! Hope I can get it installed correctly and within the 10 seconds. eeek.

Can't wait to get this, and the increased battery life is going to be so fantastic.

And I just wanted to agree about Ghost Recon. I've never paid any attention to any Tom Clancy game (can't even spell it), but who'd've thunk there would be a really cool turn-based strategy game right out the door for the 3DS? I got that and Zelda, and I'm obsessed with DSiWare now (never had a DSi, so it's all new to me--speaking of that, try Number Battle and Dragon Quest Wars, and let me know if you find any other DSiWare games you enjoy! there's a cool card RPG and a few action-RPGs as well, and a ton of other stuff), and I grabbed Super Monkey Ball when it was $20, and my brother got Street Fighter at half-price and hates it, so I'll buy that off him (I'm sucker for $20 games, which is what I got Ghost Recon at as well). Have to agree that Doctor Lautrec looks really cool, so I have my fingers crossed for that. Tons of stuff coming out! (Tales of the Abyss, Paper Mario, Devil Survivor (even though I already played it on DS--I hope it's got an easy mode this time!)...)

Anyway, cool to see people with similar taste to me. Wish I could Streetpass with you guys. :) I'm going to make my girlfriend buy a 3DS. Wish the whole bunch of us could play together. :)

Posted on Aug 10, 2011, 1:31:31 AM PDT
Misty L. says:
LOL Jesse :) I'm just now seeing this but I appreciate "the love." hehehe...I hope you can get your girlfriend to play 3DS with you. I have tried to get my husband to play video games with me and he is just not interested. He has a regular DS that he rarely plays and won't play against or co-op anything with me. We did play Lego Indiana Jones on my XBox when I first got it, but only the first day and he didn't play after that. I guess I married a party pooper. LOL.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Apr 20, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 10, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about
Nyko Power Pak+ for 3DS
Nyko Power Pak+ for 3DS by Nyko (Nintendo 3DS)
4.1 out of 5 stars (116)