BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Chris young $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition $79.99. Limited-time offer. All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Instant Mom
Format: Hardcover|Change

on May 13, 2014
I read this book because Nia Vardalos always comes across as being honest. :)
My suspicions were true, and she was very open and honest in this book.
She walked the tightrope that adoptive parents walk of what to tell or not to tell regarding our children's histories with dignity and respect.
Ok, suggesting they might name her "Cujo" was borderline, but then, you have to understand the humor behind that one.

I found this book to be a real honest portrayal not only of the journey through infertility, but also the beginning days of bringing a little one home.
It was heartfelt, sad, joyous and all the emotions inbetween watching or reading about Nia and Ian, accepting and loving their new daughter unconditionally, no matter what she threw at them or how hard she bit them.
They RIGHTFULLY saw, it wasn't about them. It was about her, and helping her feel safe.

I would consider this testimony a must read for potential adoptive parents, or those who are even in the trenches of adjustment.
It will give you hope and help you know that you are not alone.
Your child is terrified...Even if it comes off as aggression, it is a response to sheer terror.

I so appreciate the care given to share how they dealt with these scenarios.

Thanks for the good read, and the laughs along the way.
on June 20, 2015
Good book for people condidering foster to adopt. I appreciate the honesty and humor that this book has to offer. It is a look into her life and how her daughter has changed her life, through difficult times, for the better. When her daughter was placed with her, it was a difficult adjustment for everyone. I think this is a true look at what to expect when it comes to foster to adopt placements. This is an interesting look at her life as well as how her daughter is a perfect fit into her life. I have been interested in adoption since I was 19 and hope to get the chance to become a parent in such a beautiful and selfless way. I couldn't put this book down and read this in two days. I don't usually write reviews, but, I had to make an exception for this book.
on May 10, 2013
I am far beyond the age of adopting but I admired the humorous out look of Vardalos from her other projects. Her candor about how to talk to expectant parents and those who hope to expect is information everyone can use. Her heartfelt recounting of her personal journey will break your heart but still she injects humor into every chapter of her personal trials. There is a lot of take away information in this book and it is delivered in such a way as only a couragous couple who have been through this can do. We all know people who are struggling to have a family and this book will lend you the tools on how to act or not act around them.
An absolute must read.
on May 15, 2013
What a wonderful, fresh writer. Nia Vardalos writes from the heart. It's like talking to your best friend who will tell you ANYTHING and be true about it. My favorite part, hands down, is Trudy Trouble -- I have retold that story many, many times to family and friends -- it is hysterical and brings a smile to everyone who could use a laugh! The center of the story about her daughter and adopting out of the foster care system is so enlightening and will be inspirational to anyone who is considering fostering and/or adopting. Kids are wonderful. Nia and her husband are wonderful. I am so happy for their family. Cheers Nia!
on May 6, 2013
I downloaded this book because my husband and I are currently going through fertility treatments and are also considering adoption. I've always enjoyed Vardalos' movies, and I'd seen a few clips of her on TV as spokesperson for National Adoption Day, so I figured "let's go ahead and see what she has to say."
Well, the book is great! You will snicker, laugh, cry, and nod in agreement as you follow the story of Vardalos' own journey through infertility to foster adoption. I was amazed at how open she is in this book: the emotions, the anger, the embarrassing moments, the sense of "Everywoman" finding her way through the puzzling maze of fertility treatments and adoption options. This isn't a movie star lecturing you on what you "should" do; it's simply a funny, hearfelt, and honest look at how she and husband Ian Gomez came to build their family and meet their daughter. Her humor is contagious, with just enough self-deprecation to show that she hasn't "lost touch" with all the other Everywomen out there.
And yes, she does open up about her own family...so all you "Big Fat Greek Wedding" fans out there will have a field day with the trivia and fun facts she tosses around!
Hollywood has always seemed to me to be a place full of out-of-touch egomaniacs. Thanks to Vardalos' book, I've learned that there are good, decent people and families with their own struggles everywhere you look. And if I ever get the chance to meet her, I'll thank her for giving lots of us infertile-yet-hopeful-moms-to-be this wonderful account of humor, heartbreak and joy.
on May 15, 2013
This book grabbed me from the first few pages. As someone already beginning the process to fost-adopt it gave me the insider perspective I needed. I could relate to the author on many levels including the horrible and heart wrenching infertility struggle with no baby in sight and the overwhelming feeling that I am meant to be a mom. I laughed through three quarters of the book. Having seen many of the movies the author has written I wasn't surprised at the comedy of some of the situations she encountered being an instant mom. Even though some parts of her story are scary (getting kicked in the face by a three year old), she and her husband never quit on their daughter. Parenting isn't easy even with biology . This is a must read for anyone considering adoption.
on September 4, 2013
As a person planning to adopt through the Foster Care system, this book could not have come at a better time for me.

For those who suffer infertility (or subfertility), figuring out what path to take to become a parent is at times confusing and frustrating. My personal situation is very similar to the author's, and whenever I become frustrated, I can always pick up her book to remind myself that most of those "horror stories" are just that, stories.

Well-written and poignant, this book will touch every heart. It is not just for those considering Adoption or Fostering, it is for every parent, and anyone who wishes to become one.
on May 18, 2016
This book was such an amazing insight into the adoption journey and nia is an amazingly heartfelt ,honest and candid story teller - regarding her journey- in adopting her daughter. Begat a marvelous story. Kudos to nia for allowing all of us to hear this story of how she was blessed with a child ...
on May 2, 2016
Nia Vardalos' memoir is funny and touching and interesting! I think anyone who has tried (successfully or not) to conceive will relate to her story. Vardalos captures that component of her life and her husband's, and she provides insight into life as new parents and the celebrity scene. What's not to like...
on November 7, 2013
Nia Vardalos is such an excellent role model for others to follow. Her book is witty and real just like her personality. Many people deal with infertility issues and do not no where to look for answers or help when they decide to go through other routes, such as adoption. She is raising awareness and educating people on adoption and "showing them the way," in a world where they may be lost. As if she wasn't phenomenal enough, all her proceeds go back to the children. My ladies group recently held a book signing event on November 5th with Nia. She is so humble and grounded and was gracious to each and every person who went up to get their book signed. Please help her mission and read her story!