Instant Ocean Sea Salt for Marine Aquariums, Nitrate & Phosphate-Free
- Number 1 choice of hobbyists, public aquariums and scientific research facilities
- Fast dissolving
- Nitrate and phosphate-free
- Contains all important major and minor trace elements necessary for a healthy aquarium
- Makes 200 Gallons
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
From the manufacturer
Why choose Instant Ocean
Instant Ocean is the world's most trusted brand of marine salt and other products for aquarists who wish to re-create a thriving ocean habitat in their own home
Instant Ocean Sea Salt Mixture
The Premier Synthetic Sea Salt
- Instant Ocean is used by more public aquaria around the world than any other synthetic sea salt.
- Instant Ocean is also used by more marine aquarium hobbyists than any other sea salt.
- From the start, Instant Ocean was developed and refined by scientists and aquarists with devotion to marine organisms and aquaria. That devotion continues today. There is simply nothing better for your fish and invertebrates to live in!
- Trust the synthetic sea salt that is referenced in scientific papers more than any other product!
A synthetic Sea Salt Apart
Sea Water is more than just a liquid mesh for fish swim in and corals to grow. Seawater is a chemical mix of a little bit of almost every element in the periodic table. For that aquarist lucky enough to live by a coast, using seawater in your aquarium might seem obvious. However, filtering the seawater to remove sand and other solids is no easy task. You also run the risk of pollution from the collection location. Luckily, Instant Ocean offers a safe and unique solution. Instant Ocean is the most prevalent and successful synthetic sea salt on the market!
Instant Ocean follows rigid quality standard program which insures:
1. Rapid rate of dissolvability while still mimicking the chemical composition of natural seawater.
2. A homogeneous mixture that is designed to not separate in the bag or box over time. This means that Instant Ocean’s chemical formula will be uniform regardless of the production date and ensure aquatic organisms have consistent, healthy water conditions.
3. Continuous monitoring of the various salts used in production and the final product ensures the seawater made today will be the same as the seawater made next month or even next year.
4. Instant Ocean will closely match the vast majority of ions in natural seawater. Some ions are more prevalent in Instant Ocean due to the loss of these ions over time in an aquarium.
A fascinating feature of seawater is that its chemical composition is essentially similar throughout all of Earth’s oceans. This is referred to as Marcet’s Principle or the Principle of Constant Composition. This means that the salinity and chemical composition from one ocean is incredibly similar to other oceans. Due to the uniformity, Synthetic Sea Salts can mimic this composition and will allow for organisms to flourish. Below is a chart comparing Natural Seawater to Instant Ocean.
Instant Ocean is used in some of the most popular aquariums across the world
The Shedd Aquarium houses thousands of freshwater and marine species of animals form various habitats around the globe, making Shedd “The World’s Aquarium”. Designing and maintain a marine aquatic systems in the middle of the Midwest comes with its unique set of problems. Since animal environments are the most important component of keep their animals healthy, they choose to use Instant Ocean Sea Salt. During a renovation, the Shedd Aquarium chose to switch to a complete salt mix in all of their Oceanarium water systems. The pools were filled using over four hundred 2,450 pound Super Sacks of Instant Ocean Sea Salt which required 50 Super sacks to be delivered for eight days. This required 500 hours of manual labor and over 10 days of mixing in order to reach target salinity.
Getting the correct salinity of your aquarium water can be a difficult task. The correct salt levels are incredibly important to the marine life. The ideal salt level for a reef aquarium is 35ppt and 28 to 34ppt for saltwater fish. There are several different ways you can ensure your salinity levels are where they need to be:
- Hydrometers- Measure Specific Gravity convert to Salinity
- Refractometer- Measure Specific Gravity convert to Salinity, Conductivity, Salinity, Temperature and TDS meters
1. Mix Instant Ocean with ordinary dechlorinated tap or purified water.
NOTE: To prepare small quantities, use ½ cup of Instant Ocean per each U.S. gallon of water. Mix as directed.
2. Stir vigorously to ensure a good mix. Although the Instant Ocean solution may be used immediately, we suggest aerating the water until achieves oxygen/carbon dioxide equilibrium.
3. Measure specific gravity with an Instant Ocean Hydrometer. Recommended Specific Gravity Range: 1.020-1.024 at 77°F.
Note: 1.5 lbs. of Instant Ocean is formulated to create 5 gallons of saltwater at a specific gravity of 1.022.
4. Adjust salt level accordingly. If specific gravity is too low, add more Instant Ocean. If too high, add more dechlorinated water
5. Change 20% of the aquarium water every two weeks to maintain optimum water quality.
Usage Note: NEVER mix salt in an aquarium containing animals
In New Aquariums: Transfer animals to the aquarium AFTER salt is completely mixed and aerated and specific gravity has been adjusted.
No matter what size your aquarium, Instant Ocean sea salts and water care products offer the smartest, easiest way to bring to ocean home. Our scientifically formulated sea salts are used exclusively by many of leading large-scale aquariums and research facilities across the country. Instant Ocean Sea Salt is the most carefully formulated and universally preferred sea salt in the world. The #1 choice of hobbyists, public aquariums, and scientific research facilities, Instant Ocean Sea Salt has set the industry standard for quality, consistency, and value for more than 50 years. Mix Instant Ocean with ordinary dechlorinated tap or purified water. NOTE: To prepare small quantities, use 1/2 cup of Instant Ocean per each U.S. gallon of water. Mix as directed. Stir vigorously to ensure a good mix. Although the Instant Ocean solution may be used immediately, we suggest aerating the water until it achieves oxygen/carbon dioxide equilibrium. Measure specific gravity with an Instant Ocean Hydrometer. Adjust salt level accordingly. If specific gravity is too low, add more Instant Ocean. lf too high, add more dechlorinated water. Change 20% of aquarium water every two weeks to maintain optimum water quality. NEVER mix salt in an aquarium containing animals.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Compare with similar items
Instant Ocean Reef Crystals Reef Salt for Reef Aquariums
Instant Ocean BIO-Spira Water Treatment for Aquariums
Red Sea Fish Pharm ARE11220 Coral Pro Marine Salt for Aquarium, 55-Gallon
Red Sea Fish Pharm ARE11230 Coral Pro Marine Salt for Aquarium, 175-Gallon
Red Sea Salt Mix for Aquariums 15 Lb
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Monster Pets||ZANY Values|
|Item Dimensions||14.75 x 11.5 x 10.5 in||14.75 x 10.5 x 11.5 in||3 x 1.63 x 7 in||8.27 x 8.27 x 9.45 in||3.54 x 3.54 x 3.54 in||6 x 10 x 6 in|
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Yes, I know to roll, stir, mix, etc... before making a batch.
I've found my last three 200 gal boxes (different batch #'s) have had elevated Alk levels (11-13) and things did not like it. (My fault for not testing the freshly made salt water)
Most say its their "new formula", but this is regular IO and that's to high for me.
1.5 Tsp marine salt for 1 cup of water.
2.5 Tbsp marine salt for 5 cups of water.
This is a 3 lbs box so itll last you forever! Remember to put the box in a gallon zip lock after you open it to protect it from moisture.
I currently have one fish, a chocolate tang, who has been in my tank since January 2004.
That is over 12 years old and I have only kept it in IO mixed water.
I will never use anything else.
Ps. I also exclusively use Marine One Flake Food ( http://www.amazon.com/Omega-One-Marine-Flakes-Garlic/dp/B0043TAUAE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1464903354&sr=8-3&keywords=Marine+One+Flake+Food )