Instant Ocean Reef Crystals Reef Salt for Reef Aquariums
Get free shipping
Free 5-8 business-day shipping within the U.S. when you order $25 of eligible items sold or fulfilled by Amazon.
Or get 4-5 business-day shipping on this item for $5.99. (Prices may vary for AK and HI.)Learn more about free shipping
|You Save:||$1.77 (11%)|
- Instant ocean Reef Crystal Salt 50gal
- Formulated for Reef Aquariums and contains essential ocean reef elements in concentrations greater than those found in natural sea water
- Extra calcium to help ensure the growth of large and small polyp stony corals as well as coralline algae
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
From the manufacturer
Why choose Instant Ocean
Instant Ocean is the world's most trusted brand of marine salt and other products for aquarists who wish to re-create a thriving ocean habitat in their own home
Instant Ocean Reef Crystals
The Premier Synthetic Sea Salt
- Instant Ocean is used by more public aquaria around the world than any other synthetic sea salt.
- Instant Ocean is also used by more marine aquarium hobbyists than any other sea salt.
- From the start, Instant Ocean was developed and refined by scientists and aquarists with devotion to marine organisms and aquaria. That devotion continues today. There is simply nothing better for your fish and invertebrates to live in!
- Trust the synthetic sea salt that is referenced in scientific papers more than any other product!
A Synthetic Sea Salt Apart
Reef Crystals is a specially formulated synthetic sea salt made by Instant Ocean, for use in aquaria with soft and hard corals. It has all the features and benefits of Instant Ocean with added calcium, magnesium, vitamins and trace elements. It also contains special additives to detoxify harmful heavy metals like copper. The added calcium encourages growth of large and small polyp stony corals and coralline algae. Hard corals remove calcium from the water as they grow and this calcium needs to be replaced either through supplementation with a calcium additive or by water changes.
Instant Ocean follows rigid a quality program which insures"
1. Rapid rate of dissolvability while still mimicking the chemical composition of natural seawater.
2. A homogeneous mixture that is designed to not separate in the bag or box over time. This means that Instant Ocean’s chemical formula will be uniform regardless of the production date and ensure aquatic organisms have consistent, healthy water conditions.
3. Continuous monitoring of the various salts used in production and the final product ensures the seawater made today will be the same as the seawater made next month or even next year.
4. Instant Ocean will closely match the vast majority of ions in natural seawater. Some ions are more prevalent in Instant Ocean due to the loss of these ions over time in an aquarium.
5. Low levels of total organic carbon in Instant Ocean. This helps prevent the growth of certain algae and bacteria in your aquarium.
A fascinating feature of seawater is that its chemical composition is essentially similar throughout all of Earth’s oceans. This is referred to as Marcet’s Principle or the Principle of Constant Composition. This means that the salinity and chemical composition from one ocean is incredibly similar to other oceans. Due to the uniformity, Synthetic Sea Salts can mimic this composition and will allow for organisms to flourish. Below is a chart comparing Natural Seawater to Instant Ocean.
Instant Ocean is used in some of the most popular aquariums across the world
The Shedd Aquarium houses thousands of freshwater and marine species of animals form various habitats around the globe, making Shedd “The World’s Aquarium”. Designing and maintain a marine aquatic systems in the middle of the Midwest comes with its unique set of problems. Since animal environments are the most important component of keep their animals healthy, they choose to use Instant Ocean Sea Salt. During a renovation, the Shedd Aquarium chose to switch to a complete salt mix in all of their Oceanarium water systems. The pools were filled using over four hundred 2,450 pound Super Sacks of Instant Ocean Sea Salt which required 50 Super sacks to be delivered for eight days. This required 500 hours of manual labor and over 10 days of mixing in order to reach target salinity
Getting the correct salinity of your aquarium water can be a difficult task. The correct salt levels are incredibly important to the marine life. The ideal salt level for a reef aquarium is 35ppt and 28 to 34ppt for saltwater fish. There are several different ways you can ensure your salinity levels are where they need to be:
- Hydrometers- Measure Specific Gravity convert to Salinity
- Refractometer- Measure Specific Gravity convert to Salinity, Conductivity, Salinity, Temperature and TDS meters
1. Mix Instant Ocean with ordinary dechlorinated tap or purified water.
Note: To prepare small quantities, use ½ cup of Instant Ocean per each U.S. gallon of water. Mix as directed.
2. Stir vigorously to ensure a good mix. Although the Instant Ocean solution may be used immediately, we suggest aerating the water until achieves oxygen/carbon dioxide equilibrium.
3. Measure specific gravity with an Instant Ocean Hydrometer. Recommended Specific Gravity Range: 1.020-1.024 at 77°F.
Note: 1.5 pounds of Instant Ocean is formulated to create 5 gallons of saltwater at a specific gravity of 1.022.
4. Adjust salt level accordingly. If specific gravity is too low, add more Instant Ocean. If too high, add more dechlorinated water
5. Change 20% of the aquarium water every two weeks to maintain optimum water quality.
Usage Note: 'Never' mix salt in an aquarium containing animals
In New Aquariums: Transfer animals to the aquarium 'after' salt is completely mixed and aerated and specific gravity has been adjusted.
Formulated for Reef Aquariums and contains essential ocean reef elements in concentrations greater than those found in natural sea water. Extra calcium to help ensure the growth of large and small polyp stony corals as well as coralline algae. Extra trace elements to provide an additional measure of vital nutrients. Extra vitamins to ensure vigorous growth and survival of corals, anemones and other invertebrates in a captive environment.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
IngredientsFree Of Nitrate And Phosphaste. No Special Additi Es.
Compare with similar items
Red Sea Fish Pharm ARE11220 Coral Pro Marine Salt for Aquarium, 55-Gallon
Instant Ocean Sea Salt for Marine Aquariums, Nitrate & Phosphate-Free
Red Sea Salt Mix for Aquariums 15 Lb
Polyp Lab Nano Reef-Roids Coral Food - 30g
Coralline Algae in a Bottle + Nitrifying Bacteria For Saltwater Aquariums, Purple Helix Strain
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||OIG Brand Management, LLC||Amazon.com||ARC Reef|
|Item Dimensions||16.5 x 13 x 2.5 in||8.27 x 8.27 x 9.45 in||11.81 x 1.97 x 14.57 in||10 x 6 x 6 in||2 x 2 x 2.5 in||3.5 x 3.5 x 6.5 in|
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
With this salt and regular water changes you should have no need to dose. That isn't 100% true in all cases(Acropora use lots of Calcium for example). If you are buying this product in this size you are either the average home gamer or buying in bulk. For the home gamer this salt is perfect in your 10-1,000 gal tank. If you are the later then this salt will serve you well.
Having said all that I've got 20+years keeping fresh and salt water fish tanks. I know a few things that I hope I can pass on and help someone.
The only reason to get more expensive salt -you are attempting to get really high DKH or calcium,
Instant ocean regular purple salt doesnt have high enough numbers for me, this has perfect numbers, just a tad higher than the ocean in almost all metrics. and only a few $ more. You save that much by not having to pour chemicals in to raise levels.
I used to try to achieve high numbers, thinking it was the key. It is not. Chaining water is the key to healthy reef. This salt is cheap enough that you dont feel guilty changing water twice a week. and since ive started doing that, my tank looks stunning. people always see my tank and their first question is what salt i use. They are always surprised to find out i use the cheap stuff.
if not, believe me, this is fine for use.
Don't use a powerhead nor a heater, adding heat will cause the mix to crystallize which will appear as residue. manual mixing with RODI water works best.
The Instant Ocean Reef Crystals salt seems to be a slightly improved version of Instant Ocean Salt. There does not seem to be any difference in salt quality or trace elements, but it is much finer. I've found this makes disolving the Reef Crystals in RODI water easier than regular Instant Ocean Salt. For a reef aquarium, you may need to supplement Calcium and Iodine, but this salt provides solid Trace Elements and Magnesium.
I paid $45 shipped on Amazon prime, which is a great price. When you factor in shipping costs or hassle of local pickup for a quite heavy package (marked "team lift"), it's great to have this brought right to your door.
I've been using this salt on a 30 gallon nano reef aquarium keeping fish, invertebrates, SPS, LPS, mushrooms, and anemones. This is a solid product at a good price for the home reef keeper.