YED Save up to 90% on textbooks Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Shop for your business Starting at $39.99 New Year, New You Valentines Day STEM Book House Cleaning JustAddMagic JustAddMagic JustAddMagic  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Beat the Cold with Outdoor Clothing on Amazon 25% off select Britax car seats

Showing 1-10 of 93 reviews(5 star). See all 127 reviews
on December 24, 2011
Watch this video if you need help with solar power setup. This will help what you need to buy, guaranteed!Sunforce 60031 10 Amp Digital Charge Controller] ][[ASIN:B001TE0IMG Cobra CPI 880 800 Watt 12 Volt DC to 120 Volt AC Power Inverter with 5 Volt USB output Instapark® 50W Mono-crystalline Solar Panel These are the items I bought for my solar power setup plus everstart marine battery 27DC-6 from walmart.

P.S. Pure sine wave inverters are also 3x more expensive than modified sine wave inverters. Modified sine wave inverters can do most of the jobs pure sine wave inverters do. I didn't mention this in the video but most of the times, deep cycle and marine batteries have 2 rectangular caps, look in the video closely, you have to put distilled water or drinkable water(it's okay), and fill it up until about 1 inch below the opening of the holes. Check these water levels about once every 3 days(recommended). Just take the caps off to put the water in if needed. Also, charge controllers are heavily recommended if you use a solar panel greater than 10 to 15 watts. Mono-crystalliine and poly-crystalliine solar panels are recommended, amorphous panels are not recommended because they're not efficient as the other two types of panels and they generally last shorter than the other two. You can buy a smaller inverter, smaller controller, smaller battery,smaller panels or larger of them depending on your needs.
2222 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 20, 2012
This is a no brainer.
Some of the RV parks we go to are remote and you have to be self contained.
That means you need to generate your own power too.
This product allows us to keep the 2 - 12 volt batteries charged at all times and use them as needed without hooking up a generator or plugging the truck in to run the batteries off the truck's system.
I also purchased an inexpensive charging/maintenence system from Amazon for about $20 that works well.
We sit the solar panel next to our RV or truck during daylight hours and let it do the work "naturally".
on October 23, 2011
Yesterday we hooked up our solar panel. It works great!! We hooked it up with a 10 Amp charge controller. This panel is keeping our 5th wheel powered up great. It charges even when the sun is not directly on it which is nice. We hooked it all into our electrical system and it started charging immediately. This panel does NOT come with the connecters as shown in the pictures so be ready to crimp your wires. Also ours did come with the positive and negative wires marked. If we add another panel then we will get a 30 Amp charge controller for a better charge to our batteries. I am glad that we had a friend that used to work in the solar industry explain that to us. But for now we are just going to add another battery and we should be good. Maybe next month we will add another panel. This seems to be built well, nice and heavy construction. Not a wimpy piece of junk. Great value for the price. If I had it to do over again I would order this panel. It showed up in perfect condition. Shipping was quick and it was packed nicely with styrofoam padding all of the way around it. No problems there.
on June 13, 2011
Product was delivered in good time. Product, so far, delivers what is specified. I have measured the short circuit current to be at least 1.5+ amps.
on May 13, 2013
I just finished setting up this 150 watt panel with a deep cycle marine 12v battery and the Instapark PRS-1515 PWM 12V/24V 15 Amp Solar Power Charge Controller. I had to purchase a 50' solar cable which I cut in half. This allows me to place the solar panel outside and the batt and controller inside. This solar generating system powers a small refrigerator/freezer, and is its only source of electricity. It works perfectly and the panel has enough collecting ability that it keeps the refrigerator at a constant 27 degrees even when there is cloud cover part of the day. It has been worth every penny, is well built, and matches well with the relatively inexpensive and simple controller. Because of it's superb performance I am considering another Instapark panel and controller to generate power to a second building for lighting and to run the 12v electrical component of a composting toilet. There is no question...this is a fabulous product. MONO-CRYSTALLINE is the ONLY way to go. (Avoid amorphous silicon panels.)
on December 30, 2013
INSTAPARK ® SYP30S-M
[...]

A-01.- PACKING:
A-01.01.- Strong cardboard package, sealed with tape, includes descriptive black text printed on the box providing full details of the product.
A-01.02.- Side opening, internal expanded polystyrene reinforcements on all inner sides to protect the panel.
A-01.03.- Product very well protected to avoid shipping damage.

A-02.- FRAME:
A-02.01.- Full frame with mounting bezel around the panel.
A-02.02.- Frame sealed with "black silicone" waterproof (sealed discrete).
A-02.03.- Drillings (4) located on the short side of the mounting frame bezel.
A-02.04.- The connection cables are covered by rubber boot and identified at the ends (positive / negative).

A-03.- JUNCTION BOX & ID:
A-03.01.- Junction Box sealed with waterproof "black silicone" (sealed discrete).
A-03.01.- Main label identifying the brand (Instapark ®) and full product specs.

A-04.- FINISHED:
A-04.01.- Barcode label encapsulated on the upper left corner of the glass for product quality control ID.
A-04.02.- Frame with welded joints of black silicone flawlessly made.
A-04.03.- Product shipped with clean surface without scratches or gobs.
A-04.04.- Photocells with uniform surface in excellent condition.

Check full review at: [...]
review image review image review image
on June 30, 2013
Many 30 watt panels cost twice as much. Most 30 watt panels are much larger. Construction quality is fair to good.
Panel was tested pointed squarely at late afternoon full sun connected directly to a smallish 80% charged Sealed Lead Acid battery. The ambient temperature was about 95 deg. F. The current was 1.8 amps and the voltage was 12.8. While this 23 watts is below the rated 30 watts, I consider it acceptable under the less than ideal conditions of high ambient temperature, low sun angle and voltage lower than rated optimum.
Of interest is the sensitivity of the panel to partial shading. With the shadow of one medium sized hand, the current dropped to 0.4 amps to 0.8 amps depending on exactly where my hand was placed. This is a well known feature of mono-crystalline panels. Polycrystalline panels are more forgiving of partial shading. But have much less power density (watts per square foot). So a 30 watt polycrystalline panel would be much larger than this.
on February 17, 2013
This is my first solar panel, and I did a lot of reading on different panels before choosing to purchase this one. In short, I am very pleased with this purchase. I have owned the panel for less than 2 months, but thus far it has done EXACTLY what I wanted it to do.

My application for the panel is that I am an amateur radio operator, and I was seeking a method of keeping my radio station on the air in the event of a sustained power outage. For such an application, you need to pair this panel with a deep cycle battery and a charge controller, but I am only going to address the panel in this review. Note that I am not mounting the panel in a permanent location outdoors, but using it as a portable emergency power source.

Sidenote: I discovered that for the low, low price of $5 or so you can purchase a wiring harness that connects to your battery and terminates in a vehicle "lighter socket." Thus, you can also use this setup (solar panel, charge controller and deep cycle battery) to recharge personal electronic devices in the event of a sustained power outage. You can make this recharging system even more versatile by purchasing a small power inverter that connects to the vehicle lighter socket and provides a standard wall plug at the other end.

The panel is far lighter in weight than I ever expected. In addition, the dimensions of this panel are a lot smaller than many other 30 watt panels I looked at (the panel is 21 inches long, 17.5 inches wide, and one inch thick). We have pictures hanging on our walls larger than this panel. Easily held up by one hand, it is simple to carry this panel to wherever I need it to go.

The panel was packaged quite well, being protected on all sides by snug fitting foam. I had no concerns about it being damaged in transit short of somebody piercing the box all the way through.

I unpacked the panel in my home office, which has a single window that faces AWAY from the sun. It was a fairly sunny day (for Michigan), and I set the panel in my office chair, facing AWAY from the window. I attached my meter and read over 8 volts being generated. I spun my chair to point at the window (again, recall my office is on the side of the house away from the sun) and the meter read well over 13 volts. I did NOT expect the panel to do that well in indirect lighting.

I then carried the panel down to my front porch and propped it up in direct sunlight. The meter read a solid and steady 22.1 volts. For my application, this is more than enough.

Next, I attached a charge controller box and connected everything to my deep cycle battery. I left this setup in place as it charged the battery to full power. All worked as it was supposed to.

I noted on other reviews for this panel that people have been concerned about the nature of the wiring connections on the back of the panel. Either I did not understand what they were referring to, or else the manufacturer has addressed this problem, as I have no concerns at all about how the panel is wired. It seems solid and reasonably sturdy to me.

I'm afraid I don't recall the warranty period for this panel, and I don't have the documentation handy, but I am certain it was no longer than 1 year. I cannot speak to the longevity of the product as I've had it for less than 2 months, but I will update this review if I run into problems.

Again I will state that I have been very pleased with this product. I would definitely buy this product again, and I would recommend it to others (and indeed already have).
on May 19, 2013
When I saw the size of it I thought it wouldn't be up to much. Was I ever surprised when I hooked it up and checked the voltage it was pumping out even under a cloudy sky but of course much more in sunlight.
I don't understand the problems some had with the connections on the back. First thing I did was take the cover off the black box to check that out in case it needed attention. . Connections on mine are very well soldered and clamped under a strain relief . Maybe the earlier ones were not like that. Years ago I had a 20 watt panel that was twice the size of this one and took up way too much room for transporting it in my Boler travel trailer. This compact 30 watt one fits right inside the little clothes closet for travelling and charges my battery much faster than the big 20 watt one did.
I recommend this panel as very good value and at an excellent price. I did buy a separate controller after reading the reviews of the controller being of undesirable quality in the package deal that includes the controller.
on February 7, 2013
I have two of these on my truck-camper roof with a bracket so I can point them to the sun. I tie them to my camper batteries via a Morningstar charger. Yesterday I was in the mountains at 5400 feet of elevation with a cloudless sky. From 9am to 3pm the two panels charged my batteries, which were drained pretty good from running the heater fan the night before when the temperature dropped to below 20 degrees. The current and voltage to my batteries during those hours was from 5.9 to 6.2 amps and 13.2 to 13.4 volts. Wow!! I never would have guessed these solar panels would put out 3 amps each into 13.2 volts. Optimum amps is 2.89 and 17 volts I think, with some inefficiencies when the voltage load isn't ideal.
I also notice on my charger, that they realize the solar panels are working even before the official sunrise and also work past sunset with the ambient light. With less than ideal light, meaning cloud cover, shadows, low sun elevation, these panels put out at least 1 amp each. I'd guess that during the winter on a sunny day, I would see over 40 AH of charging into my batteries. Pretty amazing. Summer time will probably yield more with the angle of the sun and the length of day being a bit better for charging. If I had room, I'd get two more and never have to worry about my batteries not being fully charged on clear/sunny days.
I also added 25 foot extension to the wires so I can remove the panels from the camper roof and place them in the sun if I'm parking in the shade. All my measurements were done with the extra cable lengths.