Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Integrative Oncology (Weil Integrative Medicine Library)
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Tall Heights Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now STEM

on February 14, 2009
Donald Abrams, MD and Andrew Weil, MD have produced a volume that is desperately needed. From acupuncture to botanicals to cannabis to etc., cancer patients, their caregivers, their physcians and nurses now have a valuable resource to help understand and use integrative medicine (IM). Those interested in inhibiting cancer should also find "Integrative Oncology" of value.
Most oncologists don't have a background in IM. Some are intimidated by their patients who know more about IM than they do. A few have the MDiety complex.
The prominent researchers in this book discuss the potential benefits of many therapies and dismiss others that appear to be of no value or worse.
Do I have a bias--yes indeed. For over thirty years I have counseled cancer patients on the therapeutic and prophylatic use of nutrients. "Integrative Oncolgy" has expanded my vision, knowledge and insight into other modalities in a very important and useful way.
My wife is a patient of Donald Abrams at the University of California Osher Center for Integrative Medicine. She has benefitted significantly from his expertise and his empathy.
22 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2011
I have been doing research on cancer related treatments for many years. I have purchased a great many book and read thousands of articles on both conventional and "alternative" methods. Although there is a great deal of material in this book and as such is quite comprehensive, it falls short in many ways. This book seems to be similar to much of the "official" published material on alternative medicine. Most products that been shown time and again to help with cancer are given a look warm review with a "need for more research" . Many herbs and herbal compounds that are being used in many centers such as MD Andersohn in Houston, when reviewed by the researcher are far more positive than those that appear in this book. Dr. aron Katz at NYC Columbia presbyterian is a strong advocate on the integrated use of herbal mediicine and has been using, for example, Zyflamned from New Chapter for many years.

Similarly, dr Gonzalez has been incredibly successful with pancreatic cancer and has stage IV survivors of more than 10 years. The best this book acan do is "the potential benefits... are intriguing and need to be studied further".

A short half page is dedicated to pulsed electromagnetic frequensies as opposed to the over 900 page textbook on the subjet as well as the hundreds of pages available from other sources. The NASA published a 30 page document on the beneficial power of PEMFs including cancer back in 2003.

I could find no mention of DCA nor low-dose naltrexone the latter having been successfully used for many cancers.

Hypnosis gets about 1 paragraph with no discussion of its success in the field.

No mention (at least in the index) is made of hyperthermia which is widely used in European cancer centers
especially in Germany, Denmark and Switzerland. I had a friend who developed colon cancer 9over 30 years ago) and used hyperthermia alone to completly eliminate the rapidly growing tumor.

In short, the Boik book and the Murray book are far more open and supportive of alternative medicine amongst many others.

See also Suzanne Sommers book Knockout on her personal story and approach.

BOTTOM LINE: DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY.
44 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 19, 2009
Integrative Oncology is a much overdo book that is a bold step forward in the effort of blending mainstream and CAM therapies for the treatment of cancer. Today's oncologists have little knowledge of CAM approaches and, in fact, generally avoid them.

Every oncologist should be required to read this fine book...every patient with cancer deserves to read it as well.

Well done!
Len Saputo, MD
Author of "A Return to Healing: Radical Health Care Reform and the future of Medicine."
on March 7, 2009
Two worlds collide within these pages: conventional wisdom meets a panoply of modalities from molecular targets of botanicals to Chinese medicine to antioxidants, homeopathy, spirituality and massage. Questions like "How can we make radiation better?" are not the usual questions. The information provides practical guidance to patients and providers alike. It is sophisticated and on the mark. There is a large menu of topics that are all covered well. Sit down and benefit from this meal. This is a wonderful contribution to the field.
on March 7, 2012
There is nothing new in this book, it is just a rehash of what others have written and some of the sources have been found to be false. For example, Dr. B. Aggrawal is a source and he has been discredited in the scientific community and at least one journal has withdrawn his article.
The book is not helpful and seems to be a collection put together solely for the purpose of making money from people seeking helpful cancer information instead of actually offering anything new. Most of the conclusions of the chapters are that no one really knows if the info is reliable or has any effect on cancer.
on September 13, 2015
Highly recommended reading for anyone going through or treating patients for cancer. I am a nurse practitioner working with cancer patients and a cancer survivor. I felt this book was critical to me coming through head/neck radiation with minimal Xerostomia (dry mouth) and minimal pain (I feel this major success was from a combo of a plant-based diet, exercise and the supplement bromelain). My radiation oncologist told me he had never had a patient do so well with head/neck radiation in his 10 years of practice! The information in this book is evidence-based and are tips that my personal cancer physicians did not offer to me. Integrative cancer care is the future and has so much to offer. Read this book and be ahead of the game. From acupuncture to diet, exercise, meditation and supplements this book covers it all and is easy enough to read for non-medical folks. Excellent!
on February 17, 2009
Donald Abrams, MD and Andrew Weil, MD have created an indispensible book addressing the full range of integrative medicine techniques used in the field of oncology. For doctors, patients, caregivers and advocates, this book serves as an excellent tool kit and reference guide. For those involved on the journey through cancer, this information will open your eyes to the full realm of possibilities available on the road toward healing.
on December 26, 2009
I was fortunate enough to have this book shared with me by my Radiation doctor this May. I immediately bought myself a copy, which is now highlighted widely throughout. I appreciate the wealth of strong supportive data for the multitude of tested methods. While I'm less familiar with Co-Editor Doctor Donald Abrams, I've always appreciated the balanced manner in which Co-Editor Doctor Andrew Weil has presented both Western and Easter health options.
While each patient must personally weigh the potential negative unknowns against these treatments, I feel fortunate to have been introduced to this book. It was among a number of valuable resources I turned to on this treatment path. I personally feel my cancer & treatment experience would have been much worse, had I not had the benfit of some of the botanicals to my supplement regimen. (I did discontinue periodically during treatment.) The broad smiles and expressed surprise from both my oncologist & my radiation doctor were also very telling.
I've now had my first scan after treatment...and am hoping for many more years of clean scans.
I'm now buying this book for my brother-in-law, who has been diagnosed with prostate cancer.
on August 26, 2013
For a man with prostate cancer and seeking info between alternative medicines and the traditional, this is very helpful. Writtn by many authors, it has a nice balance. As I am not a doctor nor clinician of any kind, it uses technical medical jargon that I had to skip, often large portions of it. Very helpful to know ways to treat and prvent cancer.
on February 26, 2014
While the lay person may feel overwhelmed at 1st, keeping Google handy can make this book readable and a great resource. I appreciate the volumes of research stated and analyzed. People that are suspicious of conventional medicine and great advocates of alternative will be disappointed (along with the wallets of their alternative medicine providers), but as a health care provider concerned about the wallets of desperate patients I'm thrilled with this book. Some may feel it needs to be twice as thick, but that may discourage a wider audience. I suspect the authors want to reach as many people as possible to teach them what is good research (potentially saving them $$) and encourage more health care providers to be open and understand the great potential of alternative medicine. Providers should take many notes and use is as a great introduction pointing them to potential areas of personal in-depth research. I didn't give it 5 stars (4.5 would be more accurate) because at times this book could be very dry rambling about things that should be obvious to health care providers, but then maybe some health care providers are rather clueless about their patient's needs.